Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
More beautiful pics Marybeth! :)

They're all so differerent, just like Mopar, I can leave Robin out all day and trust he will not get into trouble. Raven pretty much too, except he'd land on the floor too much for my liking lol. Other birds I have or have had, need to go back to their house just like Maverick, I can't trust them!

Fantastic photography... may I ask what type of camera you use? Someday I might like to use something other than my iPhone or waterproof digital!

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Oh my goodness he is too cute for words!!! I also am a big fan of your photography skills. Just beautiful!

OP
95talongirl

95talongirl

Jul 24, 2012
IL
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon, Mopar
Hawkhead Parrot, Maverick
More beautiful pics Marybeth! :)

They're all so differerent, just like Mopar, I can leave Robin out all day and trust he will not get into trouble. Raven pretty much too, except he'd land on the floor too much for my liking lol. Other birds I have or have had, need to go back to their house just like Maverick, I can't trust them!

Fantastic photography... may I ask what type of camera you use? Someday I might like to use something other than my iPhone or waterproof digital!

Now that Maverick's new tail feathers have grown in, he has better control when flying. He also has been relentless about commandeering Mopar's cage. So I've had to place him in time out more often lately. If would would stop bossing Mopar around, it would be a different story. I just think its rude that he tries to evict Mopar from his own cage, now! LOL.. little jerk. ;)

And thank you! Glad you enjoy the photos! :) The camera I use is a Nikon D7000. Which can be had for a decent price now, as they are always making better cameras... like computers.

I tend to invest more in the lenses, than the camera, though. The lens does make more of a difference than the body. (To some degree) Plus, they are interchangeable, so if someday I do step up to a pro-level DSLR, all those lenses will work.

OP
95talongirl

95talongirl

Jul 24, 2012
IL
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon, Mopar
oh, and a photo of him playing with a molted feather

OP
95talongirl

95talongirl

Jul 24, 2012
IL
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon, Mopar

Test shot with the new camera. :)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Omg that photo is so extremely clear that it looks like Maverick is right here almost 3D!! The detail is absolutely amazing.

...and I noticed all this BEFORE I read it was your new camera! :)

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Beautiful photography, Marybeth, and what a handsome little clown you have as a subject!

OP
95talongirl

95talongirl

Jul 24, 2012
IL
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon, Mopar
My new favorite photo. lol!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Hawkheads are notoriously territorial... In fact, the old parrot trappers, back in the wild caught days used to catch them by baiting the traps with another bird IN THEIR TERRITORY.

The hawkheads would come out of the trees and enter the traps to kick their butts... so it's not exactly surprising that he's being aggressive with the other birds. Sort of like (Very Large) Sennie's that way.

Is that new favorite photo a territorial display, or an if you don't pick me up this second, I'm coming to you display? Hard to tell from that angle. Looks like the foot is coming up...

Normally with the crest displayed and the wing feathers up... Oooohhh... We are sooooo not playin' right now! Similar to the "amazon line of death" dance.

Last edited:
OP
95talongirl

95talongirl

Jul 24, 2012
IL
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon, Mopar
I remember reading that, as well!!

This display was over a bright yellow flyswatter that was on the table. The moment he saw it, he would not calm down until it was removed. Having the telephoto lens makes it look like I was really close to him. Lol!

So yes, this was a display of "get that intruder out of here or I will take care of it". ;)

OP
95talongirl

95talongirl

Jul 24, 2012
IL
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon, Mopar
He sure is!

He is a little over a year old. 15 months.

OP
95talongirl

95talongirl

Jul 24, 2012
IL
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon, Mopar
Here's a very short video showing how he is catching on to hand motions quite well!
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLDZDZpJwn0&feature=youtu.be"]Maverick Flight Training - YouTube[/ame]

Actually it's a pretty fun game now!

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
He is gorgeous! Awesome collection of photos. I enjoyed paging through this thread. Thanks for sharing!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I'd missed quite a few of the last pages of this thread! But what a treat to read them all at once! Maverick is beautiful, and your photography, as always, blows me away. I enjoy these updates and pics of his progress. Please keep them coming!

Most Reactions