New lovebird!

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
Hi everyone!
I'm probably getting an American Cinnamon lovebird this week! :yellow2: It was not planned - I was looking for parakeets, and the lady who had them sold them out, but offered me a lovebird. I just wanted a few more smaller birds, so that's fine, and she looks so cute. He/she (not sexed) is about 6 mo old and is not tame, so I have to work on taming.
I have two different bags of small parrot food at home (my greek cheek conure wants to eat small things, LOL).
I did my research, but just wanted to hear some personal suggestions and special advice about how to handle these little ones. I'm so excited!
Thank you!!!

Lovie

Feb 8, 2014
America~
Parrots
Birdie, my Lutino lovebird.
Ooh, congratulations. :)
Make sure the food is for hookbills. What kind of food is it? Seeds? Pellets?
Special advice... it really depends on what happens when you take it home. Be ready for it though. Make sure everything is set up, and, like I imagine you did with your conure, let it see you. Just don't stare at it or handle it too much.

OP
veimar

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
Thank you! I have Zupreem parakeet/small parrot pellets and seed/pellet mix, a whole bag of millet branches, and some Kaytee left. I've set up the quiet space in my bedroom where I'll keep her for quarantine, so hopefully she'll be fine. No I won't handle her too much, just stick around so she gets used to me. (well, I dunno if it's "she" - I just think the word 'bird' goes with "she" :)).

OP
veimar

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
I also wonder if any of you have a conure and lovebird in your house and how they get along with each other?

Lovie

Feb 8, 2014
America~
Parrots
Birdie, my Lutino lovebird.
The food sounds good. :) Do you know what your bird ate before?
I don't have a conure and a lovebird (well, a lovebird, but not both). Apparently, lovebirds can sometimes be pretty hostile. The thing is, though, is that each bird is different. There are quite a few friendships between conures and lovebirds. I think you just have to introduce them to each other slowly, and make sure you're always present when they're interacting (at least in the beginning).

OP
veimar

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
The lady said she was on a parakeet seed/pellet mix, so it should be fine. She is also very shy, so I need to work with her to see what her real character is. My conure was also very shy and afraid at first, but now he is such a sweetheart. Hopefully they will be fine!

Most Reactions

Latest posts