New macaw owner

OP
Stretchurbeaver

Stretchurbeaver

Nov 20, 2013
Nevada
Parrots
Military/royal cross
Please do elaborate on beak play games as I am assuming what you mean but when you assume you make an a•• out of you and me lol thanks again

OP
Stretchurbeaver

Stretchurbeaver

Nov 20, 2013
Nevada
Parrots
Military/royal cross
How Do We Bite Pressure Train It Seems Like That Wasn't Done As A Chick The Biting Today Has Been LighteR Than The Last Few Days Maybe A Refresher Course Is In Order

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Beak wrestling. As long as he doesn't apply bite pressure. If he's still making you bleed I would wait another day or two. If he's calm, and acting like he wants to play, then set him down on your lap.

Again with the aggressive birds I tend to wrap a hand towel sized bath towel around my hand at first, just to see how they do with it. Use your thumb and fingers like a mouth, gently shake the beak, play with the beak, let him get used to using his beak on you in a gentle playful manner.

If he is too hard, then you tell him that's too hard, and the game and attention stops til he calms down, then start it again.

OP
Stretchurbeaver

Stretchurbeaver

Nov 20, 2013
Nevada
Parrots
Military/royal cross
I greatly appreciate all your knowledge with this I knew it was gonna be a challenge and one I was willing to accept as the previous owners was gonna kill this bird

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

"My greenwing did 8 years in solitary when I got her. First thing she did when I opened the door was to pry the latches off her cage, and her treat cup doors, so that she couldn't get locked up again. (Doors in my house don't close.)"

Stuff like this just kills me.

Worst one of those I ever did was a very friendly HUGE personality bird, that spent 32 years locked up IN A STORAGE UNIT because he was "too messy."

Poor bird was half mad from sensory deprivation, and had such severe psychological issues, that he is the only bird I ever worked with that failed to turn completely around. ONE out of 350-ish...

and that is because he was isolated to the point that his mind snapped... he was a bit bonkers. The birdie equivalent of Borderline Personality Disorder.

I'm the one who ended up with six stitches in a finger from that one... he didn't want me to stop scratching his head, and held onto me for all he was worth when I turned to leave...

He could NOT be left alone. He would go bonkers... LEAVING THIS BIRD, OR PAYING ATTENTION TO ANOTHER BIRD BECAME AN UNSAFE ACT.

Last edited:
OP
Stretchurbeaver

Stretchurbeaver

Nov 20, 2013
Nevada
Parrots
Military/royal cross
I'm sure I'll have more questions as I find things out about this bird.And that's sad to leave an animal Locked up for years in a storage shed I think these people should be shot in my opinion and that is just my opinion

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I'm sure I'll have more questions as I find things out about this bird.And that's sad to leave an animal Locked up for years in a storage shed I think these people should be shot in my opinion and that is just my opinion

That story has a happy ending. He is the dominant macaw in an outdoor flight at a rescue facility. He is in with 30 other birds, so he has interaction 24/7. And he has taken a mate.

Humans are not allowed in the flight.

He is with his own kind now. It worked out for him.

And Maggie, my GW has been my constant companion from Day 1... so she is a bonded people bird.

OP
Stretchurbeaver

Stretchurbeaver

Nov 20, 2013
Nevada
Parrots
Military/royal cross
I'm an animal lover but also an avid hunter/fisherman and it bothers me as well as the wife to see such a beautiful animal abused so badly.And 1 out of 350 ish birds that's pretty impressive in my opinion I also failed to mention that we (wife &i ) have had this bird three days and it's 100% change from the first day

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I'm an animal lover but also an avid hunter/fisherman and it bothers me as well as the wife to see such a beautiful animal abused so badly.And 1 out of 350 ish birds that's pretty impressive in my opinion I also failed to mention that we (wife &i ) have had this bird three days and it's 100% change from the first day

Macaws and amazons are very hardy...

They generally can go through years of neglect, and come out smelling like a rose on the other end if you work with them...

This whole thing about Macaw aggression is generally overblown. Yes, they can be, but if you work with them, they are Mushy Playful Love Everyone Lap Birds.

The ones that act up are the ones that are allowed to overbold, or the ones that get caged too much and not handled enough.

nyspy

Nov 5, 2013
Parrots
Pretty Birdy (BG Macaw)
Duke (BG Macaw)
I really hope the owners of the macaw that did the storage shed lockup were brought up on charges and made to REALLY pay for their crime.. not the "slap on the wrist" so many courts today hand out.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I really hope the owners of the macaw that did the storage shed lockup were brought up on charges and made to REALLY pay for their crime.. not the "slap on the wrist" so many courts today hand out.

NOPE. NOTHING... no crime committed there. Just not what you and I would consider to be humane treatment of a bird...

We had a breeder who just walked away from a backyard breeding operation when they lost their home to foreclosure - with 75 LARGE MACAWS in the back yard.

Just up and moved out, leaving the birds in their enclosure WITH NO FOOD OR WATER... sadly, only about 12 of those birds survived! We spent Thanksgiving going in and getting them out...

NO CONSEQUENCES AT ALL TO THE OWNERS. NO ENFORCEMENT AT ALL... NOTHING!!!

Then there was the guy who put the baby greenwing in the dog crate because he was screaming too much. (Which of course, caused the bird to scream more, not less, because he was now in serious distress.) Guy told his children to go kick the crate until the bird shut up!!! (The bird, of course, shut up when he was seriously injured!) "WHAT?! IT'S JUST A BIRD...!!!"

AGAIN, NOTHING...

Personally, it was all I could do to keep from killing the guy... DO YOU WANT TO KNOW WHY I NO LONGER DO RESCUE?! THAT AND ONE OTHER, EVEN WORSE INCIDENT, WAS THE STRAW THAT BROKE THE CAMEL'S BACK...

Very, very friendly cockatoo, family bird, got loose accidentally. Some Friggin' teenagers got ahold of it. This bird was a cherished family pet... They thought it would be funny to squirt lighter fluid on the bird and SET IT ON FIRE!!! Watch it running around on fire screaming in pain as it burned to death... DAMN RIGHT I CLIP MY BIRDS WINGS!!! Left that little incident off my list the other day.

AT LEAST THEY GOT PROSECUTED, AND RECEIVED A NOMINAL FINE...

I saw too much, and probably just said too much... I really just got to the point where I only wanted to deal with my own, happy friendly birds, who were well treated, well behaved and well loved. And a handful of friends who did the same with theirs...

You guys watched that special on PBS. Some of us lived it. I honestly don't know that I could watch it all the way through without getting angry all over again.

End of rant.

Last edited:

nyspy

Nov 5, 2013
Parrots
Pretty Birdy (BG Macaw)
Duke (BG Macaw)
The problem with both you and I is where we live. They're parrot havens. We see the worst of it all.

I can only think that Karma will do it's thing one day to right the wrongs.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Such great advice on here !! Always enjoy everyones experiences .What is a military royal cross ?

OP
Stretchurbeaver

Stretchurbeaver

Nov 20, 2013
Nevada
Parrots
Military/royal cross
He is a hybrid very nice looking bird not sure if I can post pics yet or at all

nyspy

Nov 5, 2013
Parrots
Pretty Birdy (BG Macaw)
Duke (BG Macaw)
1. Create an imgur account, upload the pic to imgur.
2. right click on the image once it's uploaded and you're viewing the page and select "Copy Link Location"
3. On the post, you'll see an icon that is square and yellow (looks like there's a mountain on it). Click that and paste (ctrl V in windows or command-V on apple) into the window that pops up when you click on that icon.

Your image is uploaded :)

Cheers.

Most Reactions