New member (bird rescue volunteer)

amusic20

Feb 27, 2015
Stonington, CT
Parrots
None at the moment -- I volunteer at a bird rescue, where I've made various avian friends
Hi -- My name is Alyssa. I don't currently have a bird of my own -- I'm hoping to adopt at some point, maybe this spring or summer even -- but I've been volunteering at a bird rescue/sanctuary in Rhode Island since winter of 2013. (It was featured in the PBS documentary, Parrot Confidential). I'm there once a week, and we have all kinds of birds, from :yellow1: to :blue: and even a blue-throated macaw (who's endangered). My best avian pals there are an umbrella cockatoo named Brandy, a moluccan cockatoo named Poppy, two rose-breasted cockatoos both named Darryl, a scarlet macaw (seen in my avatar), among others. :)

Solo

Feb 24, 2015
Wichita,KS
Parrots
Shamrock Macaw
Welcome to the forum. I am also awaiting my future feathery friend. The people on the forum are amazing , and have a wealth of knowledge. What kind of bird are you hoping to adopt?

flyingron

Jan 3, 2015
Chantilly, VA
Parrots
Bacca (Quaker)
Congratulations on the excellent volunteer work. You'll get to see the good and bad side of birds that way I think. Our Quaker is, let's say, "an intervention" (we took her off a friend who just wasn't up to the proper care of the bird).

At least you'll be exposed to a wide variety of species so you can see what you're suited for even if you don't find one of the rescues that steals your heart.

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
Marley-YSA (hen) -hatched 07/20/2006;
Simba-DYHA (hen)-hatched 06/23/2003
Welcome!
Good for these birds there are people like you who are willing to volunteer.
It's a big problem lately with so many birds in need of a good home.
That's how I started 2 years ago. But on my FIRST day of volunteering one Amazon decided to choose me.....:). Needless to say I have her now.

kalypso123

Aug 16, 2014
Media
Tallahassee, Florida
Parrots
Cockatiel- Kalypso
I would love to volunteer at a bird rescue but there isnt one near me. The Florida Parrot Rescue is an organization that has many foster homes across the state. I cant foster I would have to adopt the ones I would foster. So I promote them on my Facebook buy shareing there stuff.

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
It's a great way to help and also to get to know what type of bird you might want for yourself. Welcome to the forum!

Squirt

Oct 13, 2013
NJ
Parrots
Sun Conure (f) Tallulah
A bird there may just choose you! Thanks for helping out with the rescue. :)

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Welcome! That is awesome that you work at a rescue! That sounds like a lot of fun! :D Good luck on finding your new fid! :D

OP
amusic20

amusic20

Feb 27, 2015
Stonington, CT
Parrots
None at the moment -- I volunteer at a bird rescue, where I've made various avian friends
Thanks everyone! I feel so great about volunteering there. Unfortunately, I don't think the birds I've gotten friendly with are up for adoption, except for a couple. I'll need to ask the Adoption Coordinator or whoever's in charge of that. I would love a macaw, but most of them have taken an aversion to me, at least so far. And some, like the blue-throated, only like me part of the time.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Hey Alyssa welcome to the forum. Thanks for helping out a few birds in need. Hope to see you around on the forum.

Most Reactions

Latest posts