New Member Curious for Your Opinions

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.
Hi

I would say go with a Betta fish. Se up a nice 1 feet or 1.5 feet long tank with Plants and other stuff and you will be surprised how great a pet they are.
They have a potential maximum lifespan of 5 years but if they cross 1.5 years, you have done a good job (they are already 3 or 4 months while at the Pet shop).

But if you want something to stimulate your tactile senses, go for a guinea pig or a bantam chicken from a friendly breed.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Well these are all good ideas, my mom suggested the idea of starting my pet life with a toy dog, because maybe my life just isn't in a place right now where I could take care of a bird, would you say that might be more compatible?

Wind up, stuffed, or just small?

Last edited:

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
Great advice so far and impressive responses from yourself. I do worry about someone so young getting a bird, but the reasons for this have been mentioned before. I just know that there have been days when I've put my bird away with a feeling of sick guilt because I just had too much to do to have him out longer and I'm a very dull adult!!! (Thankfully!) Through all the excitement and turmoil of teenage years!!!

Another thing to consider is where you might move to. I think some birds that are pretty common as companion birds are not allowed in certain states in the US, so you need to know about this as well as whether you're likely to move abroad one day.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
having a read through you're definitely mature for your age. What I would say is it would be best to wait a couple years and go for it when you're settled in a place of your own, then you will know your schedule, your monetary situation and how well you are with caring for yourself and can assess if an animal is right to have.

Do go with the volunteering as it will give you an idea what it's like being around these guys and it always looks good on a resume to have volunteer work

Mdjandt

May 16, 2018
Hi there! And welcome. Lol. I’m a military brat as well, just grown a little. I grew up with Budgies, then graduated into a cockatiel, then lovebirds after I got married, and rescued a macaw. My exhusband got stationed to the east coast and lodging absolutely would not allow birds, so I gave them to friends that I knew would take care of them and actually had taken a liking to them before so they were all matched rather well.

With that being said, larger birds are MUCH harder to move around. What are your plans if your parents get stationed elsewhere?

As for the type of bird. My first budgie I have from 5 years to 14, was so sweet and went on walks with me around base everyday. He was great and I loved him so much. So I think a budgie is always great! BUT it sounds as if you’re looking for more personality or responsibility. Lovebirds are also great, keep only one and spend A LOT of time with him/her. They definitely have bird bird attitudes in little bodies. They’re fun to watch and interact with.

Cockatiels are fun, mine got loose one day. I saw where he went and went to retrieve him but the people refused to give him back and said he was theirs... I don’t know a lot of people with bright bands on their birds. But he was great too! He talked and whistled songs and had a wonderful personality. A cockatiel would be great for an experience into the learning abilities of parrots. Their personalities are so incredibly sweet... if socialized correctly. I’ve also came in contact with very very aggressive tiels that we’re supposed to be handfed/raised. So be sure you spend time with them before you choose.

NOW. For macaws. I had a great big blue and gold taken out of a bad situation. I wasn’t going to bring him home as my ex didn’t want one. BUT he was in a cage he could even turn around in, in the cold and his beak was so overgrown he couldn’t close it without hurting himself. I did pay a ridiculous amount for him. I couldn’t just leave him there. But he was hilarious! He was rarely ever in his cage, we bought him a HUGE king cage. He wore a flight suit around as a diaper but he never flew. He much preferred chasing my dog around the house. Lol. He was ALL personality. They CAN get loud. He rarely ever was unless he needed something but still, that should be a factor since you’re still in school and won’t be able to provide as much attention as I was able to give. He was funny but picked up a lot of bad words from video games and my ex. At night he’d be put into his cage (safety reasons) and he’d sit there, quietly at first and whisper “hello?” Then get a little louder and louder until he’s singing “heeelllllooooooo?!” Hahaha. He was so funny. My ex didn’t appreciate that as it was kind of scary in the pitch black of night.

Those are my stories. I’d suggest getting a small conure, IRN, or tiel. Easier to maneuver and gives you the perfect amount of responsibilities.

Good luck!!!

Mdjandt

May 16, 2018
After ready all of the replies, there are a ton of opinions and suggestions. Yes, $1,000 seems like a lot to you but that would barely get you started on a conure. A conure can be $250-500 pending on the mutation and breeder. The cage for said conure is about another $300-500 then you have toys, food, treats, supplies. I have to agree that anything larger than a small parrot wouldn’t be advisable.

Have you considered a lovebird?? I think they’d be a great option for you. You can get them in almost any color mutation and they really do have the personality of a larger parrot, but much more forgiving than a larger bird. They’re easy to move with and fun to play with.

It boggles my mind how a bird would be too much of a responsibility for you... I just can’t agree with that. You’re intelligent and willing to do what you need to do. You can get a lovies, handfed, for about $60-150. Then a cage would be about $100-200 (ONLINE) look for those flight cages on amazon. They’re huge and plenty of room. They can live with $20 a month in food and treats. It may very well be the perfect option for you!

Most Reactions