New Member & New Amazon Parrot

Jefferybny

Sep 30, 2010
Red Creek, NY (Syracuse Area)
Parrots
Double Headed Yellow Amazon Parrot & Senigal Parrot
Hello Everyone!

Good Morning,
I was searching online today and came across this website so i figured i would sign up and see whats going on. I have a Senigal Parrot named Nemo, She is fanastic. Shes very friendly and ive had her almost 8 months or so. Shes lets me flip her upslide down and everything.

Well....
The other day a friend gave us a Double headed yellow amazon parrot. He is very pretty. He speaks Spanish and English, i only speak english. Although he is still pretty scared after 24hrs. Last night he was letting me pet his head and stuff but we both are a little scared of one another. Im scared of his beak. and hes just scared of me lol. Ive never had this big of a bird. And it seems as if he is not comfortable coming out of his cage. The cage that he is in is pretty big but only has one small door, so he needs a new one...

Anyone got any tips on how to make him comfortable? He has his old food, old blanket, old set up, just a new home. He doesnt do step up or at least he doesnt want to right now. I am going to try to get ahold of his previous owner to ask more details but im at a loss end at the moment until he feels that he can trust me and i can trust him lol.

Thanks all
Nice to meet you!:green:

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new addition. :D

First you will have to work on not being scared because he can pick up how you feel and reacts to it.;) I know that is MUCH easier said than done.

Start off by just sitting by his cage and talk to him, read a book to him. Let him settle in and get used to you for the first week. Hold treats out to him and wait for him to approach you. He will definitely become curious and start to move closer and closer.

Here are some good reading that will help.;)

Taming Your Bird
http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/3100-bond-forming.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/300-parrots-bill-rights.html

Is the new parrot in the same room as Nemo? Did you remember to quarantine?

OP
J

Jefferybny

Sep 30, 2010
Parrots
No they are in seperate rooms. and in seperate cages. I dont let them interact with one another besides making noises that one another can hear. I always wash my hands before i touch one bird to the other. thank you for the reading tips, ill have to read up some more on it. Thank you :)

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Dont be shy to post some photos! ;) Building trust is such a difficult question to answer because it requires pages and pages of writing, that is why links are easier.:D

DustyDusky

Jan 7, 2010
Media
New York
Parrots
Dusty: Dusky Conure
Welcome to the Forum!
The best way to get your bird comfortable with you is patience and lots of it. He is in a new environment that he isnt used to. Give him time to adjust while at the same time working on overcoming your fear of him. As wildheart said, sit by his cage, talk to him.

Dusty, my Dusky Conure, does not like men, however my brother spends an hour each day just sitting by his cage talking to him. It is for this reason that I believe that dusty allows my brother to handle him. My brother is one of the few guys i know who Dusty is okay with.

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Yes, i understand, he will come around. it took nemo a little while. i did post some pictures :)

Where did you post the photos?
bino.jpg

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Hello and welcome to our forum. You will meet and already have met some very savy bird people. The suggestions given to you are very good. Should you have any more please feel free to post.

welcome6.gif

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
Welcome to an awesme community! :) Your fids sound adorable. Trust takes a long time. I have an untamed lovebird that I am trying to tame and its HARD and takes a lot of patience lol

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Hi and welcome to the forum Jeffery, congratulations on the new fid (fid=feathered kid) Time, Patience, Love and Understanding will be the tools you'll need for success in the trust and bonding of your new feathered friend, the best advise I can give is to take it slow and easy, especially in the beginning, it's best to interact from outside the cage, let him get used to his new surroundings for a few days, feed him treats through the bars, if he offers his head for light scratching go for it, talk to him in a calm and friendly voice, doesnt really matter what you talk about, just get him used to being near you, after a few days open the door and allow him to come out if he will, if not you can try and entice him out with treats, it may take some time, but you'll be working on his (bird) time and should never be forced to do anything he doesn't want to do, always try and be possitive and never negitive, reward for good beahavior but do not punish for bad, although you should always treat each bird as an individual, doing extensive research on Amazons would be strongly suggested, they are probably one of the most complex and sensitive of all the species of parrots, a good diet ( pellets, fruits and veggies, some nuts and seeds) and plenty of uninterupted sleep (12+ hours) will really help in keeping a happier and more well behaved bird and should make things much easier for you and your fid accomplish your goals, we're open here 24/7 365, if you have questions just shoot em right out there, and please let us know how you progress, hope some of that helps, as a side note you might consider picking up a copy of "Parrots For Dummies" no offence ment, many of us have a copy and use it quite regularly, best of luck and enjoy your stay :)

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hello and a big warm welcome, congrat's on your new fid
Wow so many replies, your brain must be working overtime
Great advise given from all the above members
Good luck keep us posted with the latest

2Birds3Kids

Sep 14, 2010
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Male Vos Eclectus
Female Vos Eclectus
Male Cockatiel Pied Cinnamon
Female Cockatiel
I was able to really tame my adopted ekkie by holding her wrapped in a towel after a bath. This is one of the things I did that contributed to her stopping biting me :) ~Page

OP
J

Jefferybny

Sep 30, 2010
Parrots
He let me pet him the other day, he let me scratch his head. He wont even come near the door, only to get his food. Id really like him to just come out of his cage. Although i know its going to take time, so when im home i leave it wide open for him to come out when he thinks hes ready... Idk i think hes going to need alot of attention later on. I dont think the last 2 ppl that had him didnt pay enough attention that he needed.. I dont know how old he is neither, i think hes like 13 or something. he speaks spanish and english. Although he talked alot in the car ride to my house. Now he wont say a word...

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
Don't worry a whole lot about him being quiet. There are many reasons for a parrot "clamming up", and being scared is only one of them.

Sometimes, when a parrot is around something or someone it REALLY likes, it can become "speechless." Gandalf sometimes got like that around my Mom (although he called her a nasty name once when she walked away LOL).

Sometimes it is just "wonder" at their new surroundings. Not fear per se. Just a sort of "overwhelmed by all of this new stuff" thing. Since your Amazon is letting you scratch his head, I think this may be what you have, with just a little natural fear thrown in there too.

Frankly, if a rehomed parrot will let you scratch his head after just one day, that's a good sign. Patience is your friend.

Most Reactions

Latest posts