New Member w/ Question!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
So much goodness in this thread! The candor and expressive nature of the posts are incredible. I hope the material is helpful to the OP and future members debating whether a companion bird is appropriate to their lifestyles.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Yes! Ellen, would you please make a separate thread with your observation? It should be a sticky and the first place to send people asking if they should get a parrot. Your words are eloquent and wise, and they are too good to get buried in forum history.

OP
S

SenegalLover

Feb 27, 2017
That being said I want the bird to be well socialized and not pick a favorite. To be more specific, is there any way that the bird can have multiple favorites, or at least not be vicious to those it does not favor?

I don't think that you can control that even with socialization. We have a Green Cheek Conure, Tillie. She is well socialized. When we first got her, everyone in the house loved on her. We were all in heaven or you could say on a honeymoon. She then decided that I was her person. She would get nippy with mostly my husband. She would occasionally bite my daughters (who are 18 and 21). Then after a while she decided that my husband was her man and she wanted nothing to do with me. Now she likes my youngest daughter. She won't let my husband near her - flies away. He's lucky. If I get near Tillie, she attacks me. Let me tell you a conure attack isn't cute. She bites, hangs on, tears into and when she releases goes in for another attack. This isn't every time, only some of the time. When? I have no idea what sets her off. Last night, Grace had Tillie on her shoulder. I was talking to Grace, Tillie leaped onto my face and bit into my lip so hard I was bleeding pretty good. She seems to go for the face most often. I have Grey also. He has never bitten me without warning first. I would say that noise wise. Tillie is generally louder than Jasper and the "noise" is different too. Tillie makes bird sounds quite loud. Jasper makes noises or talks.

Hope this helps

This is my concern. I don't like how parrots can just decide that it doesn't like you anymore. I guess what really sucks about it is that not only does it not like you, it goes for blood.

OP
S

SenegalLover

Feb 27, 2017
Let me try to address some of the questions you have asked several times without getting an "in your face" answer, and also address something you have reiterated several times that to me says a lot about your true feeling about getting a bird.

First of all, any parrot is going to be much more work and much more of a commitment than a dog. Period. I have also had dogs since I was a little kid and I love them to pieces, I currently have my second Australian Cattle Dog, she's a little over 3 years old and she's my baby. My got my first ACD when I was in college at age 21, she was a 9 week old puppy and the reason I got this breed to begin with (and the reason I got a second one after my first girl passed away 3 years ago at 14) is because Australian Cattle Dogs are not only one of the most intelligent dog breeds but they are also absolutely one of the most loyal breeds, if not the most loyal breed. They are one-person dogs, and once they find their person they are set for life. My girl won't go further than 5 feet away from me at any time, inside or out. She follows me everywhere, wants to go everywhere with me, and is waiting for me right inside the front door every time I leave. I could quite literally leave her in the care of a kennel or a relative that she knows very well and likes, like my mom, for a month or a year, and she would be waiting for me by the door until I came back. Now here's where you need to pay attention: I have had my mom watch both of my dogs for me while I've gone on vacation or on a business trip several times (my other dog is a 1 year old Shar Pei, totally different breed). I think the longest I've left my Cattle Dog for one trip is 2 weeks, but I've done many long weekends and 1 to 2 week trips with my bands, for work, or just to get away. And either my mom has watched my 2 dogs or I've boarded them with my vet. BUT I've taken all of my birds with me on every single trip! Why? Because while you can leave your dog for an extended period of time and when you come back the dog will be excited and happy to see you and want to be with you, your bird may absolutely hate you, not trust you anymore, not want anything to do with you anymore, and possibly even be aggressive with you and bite you. So yes, birds are a ton more work than dogs, cats, reptiles, any other pet that I can think of...Why? Because they have the intelligence of a human toddler and have very human like emotions. They seem to feel things very intensely and just because you once earned their trust, this does not mean that you won't lose it at any time. This is why spending only 1-2 hours a day with a pet bird you are responsible for doesn't work.

Think of it this way: Let's say you go out and buy that Senegal parrot you put a deposit on (I have a 6 month old Senegal so I am dealing with this right now). It's most likely a hand-raised, tame, young juvenile bird, and you should be able to handle it right off the bat. So you bring him home and you're excited because he's new, your first bird, and for the first few weeks you spend quite a bit of time with him, even enough to earn his trust (even though he's a tame baby that you can handle from the beginning you do not automatically have his trust). Your bird is bonding closely with you now, he head bobs for you and regurgitates for you now. You decide to take your bird with you for an overnight trip to your girlfriend's house, so you pack him and all of his stuff up and head over to her house. You put his cage in her room, open his door up, and let him out on top of his cage. He sits up there while you and your girlfriend are watching a movie. At some point your girlfriend goes to hug you and kiss you, and suddenly your Senegal flies down and bites through your ear until you're gushing blood and there's a hole through it. Why did he do this? Well, any parrot will do this out of jealousy, you're his person and this was his way of warning you that this predator was trying to touch you, and he wanted you to move away! But since your bird is a Senegal parrot it's much, much more aggressive and way more jealous, that's how Senegals are about their people. They don't like competition from other people or other pets, and they attack. Your girlfriend feels badly and wants your bird to like her, so the following day she comes to your house to stay. She tries to get your bird to step-up onto her hand, and he does. You're both happy that your bird is OK with her and she continues to hold him. Then you sit down next to your girlfriend as she has your bird on her arm, and his eyes suddenly pin and he violently bites your girlfriend's hand. She is scared of him now because she doesn't understand why he's acting like this, and doesn't want you to bring him over again. You have to leave him in his cage when she comes over. Then after the first month or so of having your Senegal parrot you start to want to spend more time with your friends again, you've been missing out on a lot, and your girlfriend is feeling a bit ignored too, plus she hates your bird. So you start to go out at night after school or work instead of staying home with your Senegal. You feed him and give him water before you leave in the morning, you're gone all day, and then you stop in at home for a short while, about an hour or so, after work or school. You open your bird's cage and let him out, again feed him and give him clean water. But you have to get ready to leave, so you take a shower, put your bird back in his cage, and you leave to go hang out with friends. Then later you go to your girlfriend's house for the night...As you stated above, in the morning you "run home to check up on your Senegal", again feeding him, then you're gone again all day long. This goes on as it had prior to you getting your Senegal parrot, you even go on a long weekend trip with your girlfriend, leaving your mom or whoever to make sure your bird has food while you're gone. Then after your life has gone back to normal, or the way it was before you got your bird, you come home after school one day and decide to stay home that night to spend time with your bird because you haven't done that in a while. You open his cage up but he won't come out. You ask him to come out, he refused and backs away from you. You put your hand in the cage for him to step up and he lunges at it and bites. After leaving him alone for a while he finally comes out and goes on top of his cage, but every time you go near him he backs away from you. Finally you get him to step up onto your hand again, but he just keeps jumping off and running away from you... You've lost his trust, he's not getting nearly enough attention from you anymore and he doesn't know why.

You see where I'm going with this? Dogs don't work this way, they don't get emotionally upset, angry, depressed, or aggressive just because you go away for a week. Parrots do. Dogs also don't self-mutilate because of not getting enough attention.

You have asked several times "Is there any upside to having a parrot, is it worth it?" You have to understand that when I was reading you asking that question several times I cringed because to me there really are no downsides to having my birds at all. They are my family, they love me and I love them. They are always here for me, they always make me laugh, they always snuggle with me when I'm sad or lonely. I don't look at having to stay home at night with them as "a downside", because I prefer being home with them to being out doing something else. Of course I do other things, I play guitar and sax in a band, I mountain bike, I go to the gym, I go to a lot of concerts, I have a life. But 90% of the time I include my birds in what I'm doing, and if I can't include them then I just can't be gone for long. And that's just fine with me because I arrange my life around them.....Does this sound familiar to you at all? It's just like having a young, human baby or child. You keep comparing having a parrot to having a dog or another type of pet, and really with their intelligence, emotions, and personalities, having a parrot is a lotore like having a human child in your life, and having the same responsibilities that come along with a human child.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Thank you for this. I read this maybe 5-6 times and this REALLY REALLY REALLY stuck with me. Unfortunately, this seems like what may happen. If the bird was to be more friendly, I don't see it happening like this, but if the bird decides to go for blood then this is probably the exact scenario.

Thank you.

OP
S

SenegalLover

Feb 27, 2017
So many of your questions and comments remind me of .... Me! I live with a parrot, but it's my husband's. Left to myself, I wouldn't get a parrot and I had grave reservations about getting this one. I like to travel, go on short and long road trips, and parrots are hard to travel with. They need as much paraphernalia as a toddler, restaurants don't allow them, some hotels don't accept them, you can't pop out of the car for a quick hike. Plus they are messy. They take up a lot of room: we have a very small house and the parrot cage takes most of what would be the dining space. They tend to bond to one person and try to keep them away from others. I couldn't sit near my husband when he had his last parrot, and I have to be careful around the new one. So it takes some of the relaxed companionship out of the relationship. Forget sleeping in. There are very many compromises and it's not something I would choose for myself. But my husband needs a parrot in his life and wouldn't be happy without one. So we have a parrot and I have to figure out how to travel without them, which makes things with the parrot worse because I have to regain his trust every time I return from a trip.

That said, I do my best to help birdie live his best birdie life. He's a beautiful thing. Just sitting on his perch, preening, he's a scintillation of blue, exotic and lovely - a being as individual and present as either of the humans who share his home. I understand why people might be willing to give up so much of normal life to live with a parrot. The love they give - if you are lucky enough to have one that loves you - seems as real as any, and the love we feel for them is no different than the love we feel for humans. I don't know if it's the talking, or the independent attitude, or the emotionally complex brain which is strikingly similar to our own in function, but relationships with parrots are different from those with other animals.

If you think you might like this experience, don't overlook the little parakeets / budgies. They are much smaller, but can be just as interactive. Check YouTube for videos of Disco the Parakeet - I never saw a bird who knew so many phrases, and he seems to be a total cuddlebug as well. One of the budgie owners here could give you better advice, but maybe having a pair or more would make it easier on them if you were away. They don't seem as needy. Food's cheaper, cages smaller, they are quieter, but they need the same vet care and love as a larger bird. They live longer than cats and dogs, I believe, but don't have the same lifespan as the larger birds. Again, ask one of the budgie folks here, but it seems to me that being rehomed - to a good home - would be easier on them than it is on an African grey. You can't know how you will feel about having a parrot until you have one - it's like an arranged marriage - so in case it turns out that you are allergic, or it just isn't going to work, you want to minimize the emotional damage to the bird. That's one reason I advise taking in fosters at first. If you happen to get your soul mate bird as a foster, you can always keep them, and if not you at least helped a soul in need to the next destination. Good luck figuring it all out. Someone who cares about the welfare of a little bird tends to be a good friend to humans as well.

I appreciate you greatly for this. I don't have much to say to all these responses, but believe me I am taking in every ounce of it.

A side question while I was reading this. What makes you say that your husband "needs" a parrot in his life?

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
I appreciate you greatly for this. I don't have much to say to all these responses, but believe me I am taking in every ounce of it.

A side question while I was reading this. What makes you say that your husband "needs" a parrot in his life?

He's the only one who could say. Anything I say would trespass in a very private space. I believe he needs to have a parrot and wouldn't be happy without one because he's told me so many times, and I believe him. He loved his parrot more than anything or anybody. I watched the two of them every day, and what I wouldn't give to have someone look at me the way he looked at Ollie. It went both ways: the love between them was transcendent. Oliver's death left a gaping hole in our hearts and in our home. I believe a lot of people here would tell you the same thing: after living so long with a beloved parrot, they don't want to ever be without one.

Part of the reason he adopted his macaw was to have a bird that would like both of us. Gus may get there some day, but it will take time. We may wind up being a two parrot home, because it's not just that he needs a parrot - he needs an amazon parrot, a little talking singing bundle of feistiness. The heart wants what it wants.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Found this post by member "Kimbell" and thought it might be helpful coming from a similar POV. Reposted with permission:

I have 2 Conures, and want an Eclectus. Help! - Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community
"I would agree with Chris,
i'm young myself (21) and bought Pico my GCC for myself for my 20th birthday. And it has been rough for me. It's extremely hard being a college student, working, living on your own, and having a bird. let alone 3!
It's a lot to think about and it's a lot to handle financially. I never leave a pet store without spending at least $80 on Pico because he constantly needs new toys, new food, etc.
There have been so many times that I have to put him before myself when it comes to my money, you have to ask yourself if you are willing to do that? You have to factor in more than the expenses of just the bird and the cage. I have actually broken down and cried multiple times because I only have X amount of money being a college student, and still trying to figure out how to pay car insurance, pay rent, pay my phone bill, etc, etc, AND give Pico everything he deserves. It can kind of be compared to having a child, its definitely not easy.
And what happens when you move out of your parents house? are all 3 birds going to tag along? that's 3 times the money - 3 times the attention needed. I couldn't imagine doing it. I just wouldn't be able to afford it. In addition to money, you have to give all of those birds individual affection and time. I have difficultly managing time going to school every day as a full time student, working 35 hours a week, trying to maintain social relationships, and being a good Parront. Its actually very stressful. I'm sure many people here can relate.
and Chris is right, its terribly hard to find roommates who are okay with the noise level of a bird. Luckily I live with my best friend, and she puts up with it because she loves me but she definitely doesn't enjoy being occasionally woken up by a screaming bird at 8am.
Additionally, you seem so young, and as you know a bird is a commitment. I would love to travel freely and be gone for weeks at a time after I graduate from school but I have to be realistic with my dreams when I have already signed up for a 20 year contract with Pico. It's hard to be a young responsible bird owner. I have to give up social situations a lot too in order to give Pico the right amount of attention and love he needs per day. Which is hard when you're 21 and you just wana party but have responsibilities lol.
I would love another bird myself. but things are hard enough with one so I just can't.
You have a lot to factor in. Coming from someone who is living the current situation you might find yourself in a few years, I would say wait.
I hope this helped."

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
So much goodness in this thread! The candor and expressive nature of the posts are incredible. I hope the material is helpful to the OP and future members debating whether a companion bird is appropriate to their lifestyles.

Yes! Ellen, would you please make a separate thread with your observation? It should be a sticky and the first place to send people asking if they should get a parrot. Your words are eloquent and wise, and they are too good to get buried in forum history.

I had elected to watch this Thread from afar and the insight provided the OP is some of the best and most heartfelt I have ever seen in a single Thread.

I fully agree with Ms. K, that the in depth Posts by Ellen would make a great Sticky that could be referred to and not lost in the history of the Parrot Forums. Ellen, I make my small contribution to this Thread available to you if you choice to create such a Thread and I am sure others including Ms. K would like wise provide her great works within this Thread as well.

Scott, please run this idea in front of the other SM's to see if what Ms. K is and I am seeing as valuable is likewise seen as such by the other SM's.

To the OP: Please take the time to, from the very beginning to now, read this entire Thread, at least twice. Take detailed notes! What you will find is that your questions of late have been addressed and in great depth! You will also find that the members that have responded had done so with heartfelt emotions, vasts amounts of personal time and long knowledge with their Parrots!

Last edited:

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Thank you so much! I was trying to be as honest as possible! Yep, I'll copy and paste in the "Questions and Answers" forum.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
The reason for me wanting a bird is not for "show off" or having an ornament. The main reason is that I want an animal that shows endless amounts of love like a dog for example. An animal that is loyal, bonds strong with its owner, and can reciprocate emotions.

I know I'm coming late to the topic and pretty much everything that needs to be said has been, but there is one little thing I do want to comment on, and it is specifically the idea I've quoted here.

What you are describing isn't really a parrot, it's a dog. I know you said you can't have one right now, but if you get a parrot, ANY parrot, expecting it to meet this need, even if you spend 12 hours a day with it, you are probably going to be disappointed. Parrots do not love unconditionally, and they are really not that loyal. The more strongly they bond with you, the more likely they are to bite you for interacting with other people, and the more likely they are to bite other people.

I know this is hard to hear, and I know that because I have BEEN IN YOUR SHOES living at home as a young adult with a mother who didn't like pets. But getting the WRONG pet rather than waiting until you have the freedom to get the RIGHT pet will just set you, the bird, and lots of other people up for suffering and frustration.

Unfortunately living in someone else's house limits options. I'm the oldest of 7 kids, and every single one of us who is out of the house so far is incredibly glad to finally be on our own so we can have pets. I personally live with a dog, cat, over 30 birds, fish tanks, husband, and 16 year old sister. I'm the extreme case. My oldest brother has 3 dogs and a cat, and was asking me about a bird (he decided against it based on his work schedule). My second brother has a dog and will have more once he is able to buy his home. My oldest sister is suffering because she lives in a dorm at college and she can't have cats. My second sister lives with me (some of the birds are hers specifically), and the youngest two just have to wait until they can leave home which is a long time since they are currently only 7 and 11 years old.

I say this just to say yes it's terrible to have to live without a pet, but you are not alone in your suffering. I lived with my parents until I was 21. I will forever be thankful that when a serious illness made me drop out of college and be unable to keep a job that my parents GLADLY welcomed me home, fed me, and paid my bills while I recovered. They didn't have to do that.

The flip side of being an adult living at home is that it isn't your house, and you can't make the rules.

I truly encourage you to wait it out. Only another year or two, and that dog or cat or both or 6 of each will be a possibility. Now is a great time to start researching breeds and training techniques and philosophies, nutrition, etc. it's also a perfect time to start saving for unexpected vet bills, pound fees if your dog ever escapes, pet deposits, and extra money in case you end up having to rent a more expensive place in order to have pets allowed.

I always applaud people who actually take the time, like you, to not just ask for advice but also to really think about the advice given. Your smart dedicated attitude will pay off in the long run with whichever pet you get, I'm confident of that. Hang in there, I truly believe the right pet will be ready for you when you have the freedom to control the rules in your own home. In the mean time, maybe get your pet fix by volunteering at your local pet shelter :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kimbell

Nov 17, 2015
Austin, Texas
Parrots
Pico - yellow sided GCC
Hi and welcome!!! Thank you to Scott for posting my reply. I hope that helped you! i'm open to questions if you are seeking any more info from someone who is basically in the situation you would be in

OP
S

SenegalLover

Feb 27, 2017
Hi everybody. I just wanted to update that before I where to respond that I was to absorb all the information to its full extent and REALLY think about my decision.

I thought very long and hard about this, and as I am extremely upset and heartbroken to admit it, now may not be the best time. I had already put a $300 deposit on this amazing senegal that I fell in love with, but I believe she / he deserves a better home. I really fell in love with parrots, and the other day I spent hours in a parrot shop with my girlfriend. We where playing music for a cackatoo and dancing and it was so much fun! I can post a video if you guys want and link it here.

It saddens me a lot, and I was really looking forward to having a parrot as a pet and a companion for decades to come, but now may not be the right time. One thing I have to add, this community is by far the BEST community I have ever been part of. You guys are all very intelligent, caring, friendly, and overall amazing people. I have been part in a lot of communities: cars, snakes, etc... but this one has been by far my favorite.

I thank you guys so much and I will still be a part of this community. It is just going to be hard to resist temptation when it comes to buying a parrot!

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Well we welcome you! Parrot or no parrot there is always room here for animal lovers who are willing to make sacrifices for the wellbeing of animals which you clearly are :)

fayah

Feb 16, 2017
Hey, i am totally late to the party but I felt the need to reply because I see so much of myself in you. I am 23 right now, in between college and medical school and working a part time job. I live at home with my parents and grandparents. The females of my house are afraid of animals whereas my dad and grandpa love them. Birds and fish have basically been my only pet options I've ever had. I have had several parrots in my life before, some of which I deeply regretted not being able to give enough attention, so I thought long and hard before wanting to get another one

In the last few years I actually did parrot fostering with a local rescue which was nice. It helped me judge how much time I could give a bird without a permanent life commitment (though it can still be a big commitment! I fostered a cockatoo for almost a year before he got his forever home). While I couldnt give my foster parrots a 100% ideal home, it was multitudes better than their former living situation and I worked a lot with socializing them for their future home which felt rewarding. I suggest you may want to do the same if you want a taste of the bird life

I also heard many ppl discuss bird vs dog here. Dogs definitely are much more unconditionally loving and much less moody than birds, hands down. I personally couldnt keep one due to my family being afraid and not having a fenced yard. Also they could easily knock down my grandmother. So birds forever lol

I did end up getting a bird but my situation is a lot different than yours. One of the cockatoos I fostered ended up as a great hit to my family and we adopted her. She was very loving towards everyone and so hilarious even my grumpy grandma fell in love. So when I am gone for work (i arrange my schedule to only have night or overnight shifts) my bird is well entertained and out of her cage at all times by my family who send me a constant stream of pics to soothe my seperation anxiety. I have gone through at least 12 birds and really this is a rare rare case that your family warms up to your bird and your bird is receptive to socializing with everyone. Even then I constantly warn my parents about not sxually stimulating the bird and keeping her to her regular sleep schedule so she doesnt become too hormonal and break everyone's hearts. I have definitely considered and accepted the fact that she may find a favorite one day and turn on the rest of us

Having a bird completely changes my schedule. I can not go out or travel nearly as much as before. Some of my hobbies and relationships suffer from this, especially because my bird is not so comfortable traveling with me yet. But most of my true friends understand and even help with my struggles, so it isnt a death sentence to your social life. My life just revolves around a perpetually needy 3 year old. I feel like having a bird was both a selfish and selfless act. Selfless be because you really need to place the bird's needs high on your priority list and rearrange your own needs to accomodate. Afterall, the bird doesnt know how to accomodate to less attention or to be less noisy, it is hardwired to be with a flock and thrive in vocal socialization. As the more adaptable party, we have to bend over for their needs.

But having a bird is selfish in that i also crave the love of my birds. It's a love that is hard earned and has to regularly be maintained. Small milestones like getting a bird to step up, or giving them their first headscratch is so euphoric. You can feel the trust slowly building. And it's amazing holding such a fragile thing as a bird's trust and love. When I petsit dogs, I feel many are easily bribed and love me straight off the bat. But birds? They are prey animal. They are naturally weary. So I feel it is so much more rewarding having and maintaining their affection. It's not an easy thing to do, and it backfires on a lot of people who are unprepared to deal with typical bird behavior and needs

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
That being said do you regret your bird? If the bird becomes a terror or nightmare I'll just feed it to my snake. I'm just kidding haha. But I'm assuming that it's just a phase for birds? Like I had mentioned I am mainly looking for companionship in a pet. If I lived alone I wouldn't think twice it's just noise I am mainly concerned about. I get extremely attached to my animals so I am sure I will provide him or her the proper care.

I only regret getting him before I was truly prepared. I was not thinking ahead to how long he would be in my life. I was not thinking about what I would do when I started dating, went through college or started a career, or where I would eventually travel (Since rehoming him, I've been to Australia, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Alaska, hundred of swim meets all over the Midwest, lol)

Back then I was just in love with birds and he was my baby, all mine. As a high school student, I had no income of my own (I didn't really have a job, as I swam on swim team)and did not take him to the vet, did not feed him chop, only seeds, kept him in a cockatiel-sized cage, and was at school all day. I was young and naive back then, and I have come a long ways since that time and have learned SO much. As a future parent I will be adamant that if my child wants a pet, they know exactly what it takes to care for them and are prepared for their lifespans.

And as an adult, I know that if I plan to get any more parrots (which I do want to do, eventually I would LOVE a cockatoo or macaw), and I will be better prepared for their needs and proper care.

You make great points. Do you have any birds now?

Sorry for the late reply on this, forgot about this thread lol :)

I have two cockatiels now, a mated pair, 4 and 5 years old. I got them December 2015, and they had a clutch of babies in the Spring 2016 that I raised with them, and all found good homes, so now it's just the two of them again. After not having any birds for about 10 years, I was ready to jump in again and got them from someone off Hoobly, where the household was a little chaotic I think to the birds (kids were running around a lot). Now they seem to very much enjoy the quiet (during the day they have the house to themselves, besices our Doberman, who ignores them, and 2 cats, who don't bother them) and each other's company. My husband and I work full-time (we're both 27-28) and we make it work because they're relatively easy to own and don't necessarily need human interaction on a daily basis. I've built our trust and they know that I bring food and tasty treats, lol :) They are generally pretty quiet, even-tempered and mellow.

I love this thread and all the great advice given.

Last edited:
OP
S

SenegalLover

Feb 27, 2017
Hey guys I just wanted to update this thread. I spoke to the owner at pampered birds in Glendale, ca where I bought my bird. She was super understanding about the whole situation and gave me my whole deposit back! I promised her I would spread the good word and overal I am very happy with how it went down. Thanks again guys for everything!!

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
That's fantastic! It's always refreshing to hear about a breeder doing the right thing :)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Thanks so much for the update! I'm really impressed with your discovery and ultimate decision that varied from your expectation. No doubt the breeder has ethics and was inclined toward fairness to you and the bird.

You will have so much to offer a parrot once your life is more stable!

OP
S

SenegalLover

Feb 27, 2017
Thanks guys! I'm really excited for a parrot. The more I look into it the more I want one haha! But next time around I want something more interesting like an African or a macaw. Even though I have heard macaw screams and they are really intense they are awesome birds!

Most Reactions