new member with some old parrots :)

newclassic

Feb 17, 2013
California
Parrots
1 lovebird (April 1997), 1 cockatiel (adopted in '97 at ~2 yrs)
Hey! Just wanted to introduce myself and my birds. I have a peach-faced pied lovebird who is 15, and a cockatiel who is ~17--I've had them since I was 7 (pretty much my whole life). You must be thinking--why the odd mix of breeds? I thought I'd share my rather amusing story on how I came to receive my pets:

It all started when a lovebird flew into my mother's hair, on a lazy summer day while we were on our deck. This was pre-craigslist, so the only thing we could do was drive around the neighborhood for 'lost bird' signs. After a day's search proved unfruitful, we headed to the nearest bird specialty store and purchased a cage and all the necessities. He was pretty mean-spirited (probably just frightened), and I remember being scared enough to wear gloves/goggles handling him because he'd bite to draw blood lol.

We finally located the owner after a couple weeks, and were thus left with an empty cage; it didn't take much to convince my parents to adopt another lovebird. The bird shop raised smaller parrots in their nursery, and coincidentally had weaned lovebirds ready for adoption. While we were in the shop ready to take home our lovebird, another family came up to us and asked if we could take their 2yo cockatiel, as they were moving out of the state; we couldn't say no. Soo, that's their story :).

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
000203FC.gif

Welcome
What a lovely story and what a wonderful way you were introduced to birds
You must have many stories to share.....having them for so many years.
Post some pic's.... we love sharing

Enjoy the forum

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Welcome aboard Classic, though I probably would have introduced myself new member who brought along some old friends.....

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Welcome to the forum. neat story:)

Most Reactions