Addyttude

Sep 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
Parrots
B&G macaw-Paulie
Cag-Merle
Hello everyone. I am a new member here and I wanted to introduce myself. I have an adopted plucking Cag (Merle) who is at least 30yrs old as he wears a split band and a solid band. I have a newly adopted B&G Macaw (Paulie) I am very new to macaws. I would love to know varies behaviors such as when certain fluffs mean scratch me and others mean I am not happy. Thanks.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to the ParrotForums.

The MAC forum has many knowledgeable members. I am sure that they are looking forward to your posts.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Hello everyone. I am a new member here and I wanted to introduce myself. I have an adopted plucking Cag (Merle) who is at least 30yrs old as he wears a split band and a solid band. I have a newly adopted B&G Macaw (Paulie) I am very new to macaws. I would love to know varies behaviors such as when certain fluffs mean scratch me and others mean I am not happy. Thanks.

They're not like amazons where body language one way means one thing, and another way means something else.

With a macaw you have to take the visual cues in context.

Sometimes it means what can I get away with, if I appear to be the big bad bird?!

As you get to know your bird a little better, it will become second nature. You'll just know. Give it time.

Right now, if the "hair is standing on end" don't let your guard down.

Don't assume it means attack mode, but be in a position to do something about it if it IS attack mode...

Closed bent fist, just calmly push the beak aside. Two fingers at the top of the beak is usually enough to control it.

Don't show fear. Don't take any stuff. Remain calm. The rest will follow.

http://www.parrotforums.com/macaws/56384-big-beak-o-phobes-guide-understanding-macaw-beaks.html

This has some links in it you may find valuable:

http://www.parrotforums.com/macaws/49099-what-your-tips-first-time-macaw-owner.html

Last edited:

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Hello and Welcome! Congrats on your new addition!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hello and welcome! I'd love to see pics of your feathered family:)
Love your user name!
Glad you joined us:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts