Gardeningfairy

Nov 3, 2010
Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Parrots
Yellow crowned Amazon
Hi everyone

my name is helen and i have just got an 2 year old Amazon:green2: called Dexter i've had him 6 weeks now and he is starting to sit on my hand in the cage, but is still very nervous i dont think he was handled all that much before. i'm looking forward to talking to other bird owners as most people think i'm mad to have got a parrot. He only seems to like pumkin and sunflower seeds so i am going to need advice on how to get him to eat more healthy stuff at the moment he throws what i offer him out the cage. I also have 2 collies a lurcher and 3 chickens , 13and 15 yaer old sons and a very tolerant Husband who would rather not have any animals

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Hello Helen and welcome to our forum. We have many wonderful birds and bird lovers from all over the world. If you have not already purchased the book Parrots for Dummies I suggest you do as it is an excellent resource. Also pellets, vegies and fruit are the mainstay of a companion birds diet. You will not find quality food in a pet store. You can order on line or from your avain vet when you take your bird for a baseline examination.

Pellets, Pellets, Pellets

OP
G

Gardeningfairy

Nov 3, 2010
Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Parrots
Yellow crowned Amazon
I give Dexter a parrot mix in the morning that was supplied by his Breeder then diffrent fruit and veggies and pellets, they all end up on the floor. He will only eat a little fruit out of my hand if i have eaten it first. While I am sure that is good to help him bond with me and become hand tame i am sure that he need to learn to eat by himself too. all help and advice very welcome.:green2:

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Hi Helen and welcome to the forum, one suggestion would be to offer only the healthy foods for about the first 4 hours in the morning when the bird is most hungry, and if not eating well, then offer the seed diet, try offering a wide variety and find his likes and dislikes, then rotate his favorites around not feeding the same foods on consecutive days, good luck :)

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
Angel the blue and gold macaw, mimsy the lesser sulphur too, rocky the galah & willow the blue crowned conure.
my hahns macaw is a real picky eater, wont go near his fresh food, all he wants is seeds. i trick him by eating fruit by him and he comes to investigate what i'm eating thinking it must be more interesting than his food!

Most Reactions