New Members

Myka

Aug 28, 2012
Ocala, fl
Parrots
Beautiful blue and gold macaw and a adorable timneh African grey
Thank you oh and I found a new member like me. So I said hi. This is awesome! If I can just find my way around.

kesma

Aug 29, 2012
Media
Texas
Parrots
Kokomo: Eclectus boy
I am a Eclectus Mom wannabe at the moment. We live in the Dallas area and are looking to adopt a male eclectus. Our friends have one and we've so enjoyed him that we decided it was time for our own. Joining this forum is just part of my prep work to be ready when we get lucky enough to get one of our own.

:green2:

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
Welcome to the forum, this is a great place to learn about eclectus' before owning one.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
I am a Eclectus Mom wannabe at the moment. We live in the Dallas area and are looking to adopt a male eclectus. Our friends have one and we've so enjoyed him that we decided it was time for our own. Joining this forum is just part of my prep work to be ready when we get lucky enough to get one of our own.

:green2:

Welcome to the forum :)

Cowtown

Aug 4, 2010
Media
Great State of Texas
Parrots
Abby 2 year old Female Eclectus & Solomon 12 year old Male CAG & Dickens 4 year old CAG.
Welcome to the forum from another Texan.. SW Fort Worth here.

This is a good forum with several Eckie owners.. I have a 27 month old Female. Can't help with the males but there are other that will chime in.

ms1sign1

Jul 8, 2012
Re: New Member kind of

Hi

I posted on here before and got some great responses. A few people warned me not to purchase an unweaned bird. I listened but I am still searching and researching for an CAG. Anyway, I went to a few stores in NY and NJ. One place that I went to was "Bird Paradise" in Burlingto NJ. I was amazed and loved the place, the birds and the caretakers. They were all so nice and encouraged me and my husband to hold and get to know the birds. I was like a kid in a candy shop. I asked a lot of questions and decided this is the place I will purchase my new companion. Then I told the girls there that I live about an hour away. They said that they would teach me how to feed the greys so that I wouldn't have to travel so far..... (they were unweaned and on 2 feedings a day) They were eating fruit and seed as well. My mind was set until then....not sure what to do. I will not take an unweaned baby home but now I am a little nervous about the fact that they "will teach me"....what do you all think. It seemed like such a great place so I don't mind the travel once a week to get to know the new addition....
Any input would be appreciated.

Maryellen

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
Not good. Most stores will sell a bird to anyone that they can convince to take it home. If the baby is at their store they aren't making any money on it. Most stores want to move birds as fast as they can, keeps the cost down (don't have to pay for the food, or the employees feeding it, as soon as the baby gets sold and out of the store - it opens up room for another baby etc). Stores are all about turning birds over fast so they can make biggest profit possible. I wouldn't take an un-weaned baby home, too much could go wrong. I would simply explain that you would rather it be weaned completely. The pet store by my house had a baby umbrella not to long ago. The store mascot is an M2, a guy walked in to buy mice, visited with the mascot and decided to buy the U2 baby - as an impulse buy. The guy had never owned a bird before, had no idea of the requirements of a U2 but because he liked the mascot he decided to buy the baby. When I asked if they at least talked to the guy about what it takes to own one they said no, that was up to the buyer - if he was willing to buy it then they were happy. Stores don't care, its just a business (i'm sure some are different but sadly few actually care).

olgalednichenko

Jul 1, 2014
Hi there to all our new members, Why not stop by here and post a little about yourself and your birds/pets etc. In fact even if its just to say hi, this is a good place to get to know everyone.

Look forward to hearing from all the new members, and old as well. (That's the old members lol) Think you'll find that we are a good bunch of people. :D :D

To all our guest, we are a fairly new Forum, so why not sign up now and get in on a new place. Share your experiences and join in the fun.

hi

how do i introduce myself? and how do i start a thread? - like where should i click ?

please let me know
thanks

olga shulman lednichenko

Last edited by a moderator:

Most Reactions