New... Over Whelmed... Any help GREATLY APPRECIATED

Dmay53

Jul 12, 2016
Rhode Island
Parrots
Two GCC's ( yellow sided & a pineapple )
Hi,
I have spent countless hours in the last few days in these forums. I have not found any other forums that are even remotely as active and have found them both informative and overwhelming. I would like to give you a little bit of info about where I'm at and then what I need help with...

#1... I am a gigantic WORRY WART in every and all aspects of life

ok, so at first my girlfriend wanted a bird i was ehhh about it. I am very much a animal lover and when I was young I worked at a pet store I bonded with a quaker parrot but had bad expierences with all the larger birds there. I realize now after doing so much research it probably had everything to do with thier expierence, enviorment and care and nothing to do with Parrots in general. None the less after spending alot of time researching and going from place to place meeting birds with her I fell in love and also became committed to the idea of adding a bird to our life.

Like i said we drove all over trying to meet different kinds of birds, countless hours reading up on birds and even more hours on You tube watching all the great videos we ended up making a list of birds and pro's & con's and finally decided the bird that best fit our life would be a Green Cheek Conure. After some more debate we deciced to get two Green cheek Conures to house them seperately but in the same room in hopes to prevent them from only bonding with each other but yet still provide them with some companionship because we work the same shift

We live in rhode Island , We dont have very many places around us that have birds we did head out of RI even and go everywhere we could but eventually fell inlove with two GCC's we found online.

Even tho they are now ours we dont have them yet because I am moving at the end of the month from the 3rd floor to the 2nd and asked the Woman to please hold off on shipping until we have moved so that we didnt comepletely change thier enviorment on them twice in such a short time to which she very kindly obliged and it also gave us a entire month to absorb as much knowledge as possible

so here we are... completely inlove with our two new feather friends we have spent hundreds of dollars in toys, cargo nets, pvc to build a gigantic play gym, seperate cages, hours and hours of reading about green cheeks and watching you tube videos we are very excite the time is coming near to get these birds home BUT...

The more i read about what to feed and how to feed the more confused and overwhelmed i become. They are currently eating Tropimix pellets & Fresh fruits & Veggies at the breeder. My plan was to try and slowly switch them from Tropimix to Harrisons because that seems to be the #1 pellet based food on the market according to the online voices. But then there are all these post that pellets are bad... pellets are good... I'm so very confused

Im not rich but $ is a non factor in this discussion... I just need someone to please help simplify this a bit for me so Im not so over whelmed here. WHAT IS BEST FOR MY GCC's and What is the appropriate serving size ?

I plan to wiegh the birds and keep a log in a notebook to help out our vet for all future reference. In some of the pictures we already have of our green cheeks one of them looks like a little piggy while cute i realize this is good because hes a good eater but bad because apparently an over eater

I just need any help you can on exactly what to feed these guys and the appropriate portions

Thanks so much! I certainly look forward to your responses and hope to become a much more knowledgable regular on here in the days,months & years to come
Dave

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hello Dave and welcome!
Congratulations on your soon to arrive new additions! I adore conures and can't wait to see pictures of your new babies:)

I have all my birds on Tropimix and Tropican. I have tried Harrison's, and only 1 of my birds would eat it and personally I am very happy with the Tropimix and Tropican.
Here is a helpful link for converting birds to a different diet, if you want to try to get them on Harrisons:
http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-food-recipes-diet/23367-converting-parrots-healthier-diet-tips.html
That's awesome that the breeder has them eating fresh veggies and fruits, that will make you job a lot easier!
So far as portions go, my birds always have food available. Once you have yours, you will be able to see how much they eat and sort that out:)
Weighing them is a great idea. That way you can tell if they are losing weight, which could indicate an issue.
I love how much research you are doing and am excited for these lucky GCCs who are joining your family:)

I'm so glad you joined us!

Last edited:
OP
D

Dmay53

Jul 12, 2016
Rhode Island
Parrots
a few of the pics we have

Attachments

• GC1.jpg
    GC1.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 340
  • pineapple.jpg
    pineapple.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 264
  • both.jpg
    both.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 266

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
They are gorgeous!!!
Their colours are so vivid!!!

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Hi and welcome to the forum and Congratulations on getting your two Conures...Conures are great characters so you will never hsve a dull moment when they arrive.Terry has given you good advice and a great link too if indeed you do decide to change but the pellet they are on at present is a good pellet too and there are some (both people and birds ) that would prefer it to Harrisons. If they are already used to their diet and if I were getting them I wouldnt change it as its a healthy diet.

OP
D

Dmay53

Jul 12, 2016
Rhode Island
Parrots
Thanks for all the encouragement !!! I had not seen much material on Tropimix the fact that you guys are saying its also a very good product is a huge relief. I just looked it up and its actually sold in a store less than 2 miles from home. I'm so glad I posted here today a million thanks!!!

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
Your future birds are gorgeous and so red! They are lovely!
Unless somethings changed since the last time I looked it up, Tropimix is a mix of tropican pellets and a mix of fruit, veg, healthier seeds, nuts, and legumes. I have considered getting it as I already feed Tropican to my green cheek but realised I would use it in replacement of real chop (fresh and/or frozen food mix) I'm lazy as it is so I don't want to encourage myself. Both feeds are considered complete foods like all pellet based foods, and I believe both cheaper than harrisons. While harrisons is generally considered better/healthier, other pellets aren't wrong or bad (unless they look unnaturally coloured like kaytee rainbow pellets. they are bad).

Blab aside, much like our diets variety makes for a healthy diet and a healthy mind. There is talk that pellets alone make for bad mental health in birds, but how would you feel eating the same thing everyday for every meal.

Edit. I just wanted to add, as I feel it's important when thinking about our birds diets, Tropican and Tropimix are both feeds "fit for human consumption". I would assume Harrison is too although I do not know off-hand. This phrase is important when looking at any food for our pets really as a lot of short cuts are made in the pet industry to the detriment of our pets health. For example by law human food can't contain a lot of synthetic dyes because the body can't process them, these dyes can however be used in pet food to make it seem more visually appealing (cheap pellets that are brightly coloured). Brands like to say when they're fit for human consumption so you'll likely find it advertised on the packaging or on a website for the product, it's no secret that most animal owners want the best they can provide.

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
The best diet is a fresh food based diet. Not everyone can do that (I know I can't!), but real food is living food!

Pellets are, to an extent, better than seeds. They contain more nutrition, and since being introduced, avian vets are seeing less problems with malnutrition in pet parrots.

However, on the flip side, pellets are "dead" food. You can't grow pellets. You can grow seeds (i.e. sprouts!), but not pellets.

Easiest thing to do? Provide it all! :D

Birds can eat at least 10-20% of their body weight in dry foods alone. I "semi-free-feed" my birds, in that they get a "set amount" of dry food to eat throughout the day. I usually try to feed just over what they'd normally eat, but not so much that there would be a lot of waste.

The real waste comes from fresh foods, which I don't mind as much! One bird may not need more than a tablespoon (or two) of fresh foods per day (you can feed twice a day, if you want!) but they'll still waste some of it!

When it comes to seeds, pellets and fresh foods, I'd say that fresh foods are *highly* important! But everyone kind of does their own thing! What may work for one person may not work as well for another. Once you get your birds, you'll be able to figure out a feeding schedule!

I typically feed my birds once a day, taking fresh foods out later in the day, but at work, the birds get fresh food in the morning and seeds and nuts in the evening... except for the aracari's who get fresh fruits (and sometimes frozen) twice a day, or the cockatiels and finches that have seeds available to them 24/7. Everyone has pellets available 24/7. It's not something that I personally agree with doing (there is a *LOT* of food waste!), but if my job fed their birds the way that I feed mine, it would be a lot more difficult in feeding the birds! (there are over 50 birds that I help take care of at work....)

Bobioden

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Maxx & Emma -Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conures (Male & Female)
Beautiful colors on both your birds.

My 2 would not eat harrisons. They love Roudybush Crumbles. They eat tons of fresh fruits and veggies. Corn, Peas, Green Beans, Apples, any kind of berries, and for treats, Hemp seed.

OP
D

Dmay53

Jul 12, 2016
Rhode Island
Parrots
We finally got our birds home, this is the 10th day here. They don't seem to like us much and have made me bleed several times. One of them has his moments when he shows interest in me, when I go over and talk to him he will let me touch him through the bars, will take a treat directly from my fingers, and will spend hours on the floor of the cage playing with toys. When he does show interest in me I offer him to step up and he does do it but after a few minutes he just wants to get away.

The other shows no interest and runs anytime you come close and bites every time you come close enough to make that an option. will not accept treats from your hand but with take them the sec you put it down and move away

we have them in separate cages but just feet apart they are vocal with each other and very bonded if i take the one that does like us even a few feet out of the others site he gets upset and then that almost immediately leads the one who is semi comfortable to just want to get back to the cage

I almost feel its a step back every time and wonder if I should move the cages in separate rooms for the time being hoping they will show interest in us instead of just with each other I'm also concerned this could add a whole new level of stress on them

I realize 10 days is not very long, and the second day they were here we had to take them in the car to get vet checked and they did not seem to like that either. Is this normal behavior when you get more than one GCC at a time ? What are your thoughts on what my approach should be ?

one more bit of info... I do not say ouch, or pull away when they bite me regardless of how bad it hurts at the time I just pretend like it doesn't phase me as I have read that will not teach them that biting will work in their favor

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
New home, new people, new environment. Some birds take to it right away, others are afraid and need a little time to settle in.

The only bite that can't be rewarded is the bite that never occurs.

Simply ignoring a bite tells the bird that they need to bite harder. I don't know about you, but if that bird(s) was a large breed dog, or even a tiger, the last thing I'd do is just "allow" it to maul me until it "gives up". Just because your birds are smaller doesn't mean that they deserve any less respect that a larger animal deserves.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
The Rickeybird and I love you guys already!
Love the care, preparation, research, openness!
This is a great place... they (and I) will see you through every step.
I have to give a nod to Harrison's. The Rb has eaten their High Potency for close to 30 years, with healthy supplements. Recommended by my first and current avian vets.

Welcome!!!!!!!

CherylCali

Jun 22, 2016
Victoria, Texas
Parrots
Early Bird Green Cheek Conure
Hatch Date 3-2016
If you're getting touches through the bars and some accepted treats you're on the right track. Be really slow and really patient. If there are bites. The bites are most likely out of fear, or their boundaries are being pushed beyond what they're comfortable with, or ready for. I think it's good that they have their cages near one another, especially if thats what they were already familiar with. Keep offering treats, talking softly, and moving slowly and you will gain their trust.

CherylCali

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Welcome to the forum Dave :D You will find a ton of well informed,caring,and experienced people here.

How old are your babies? They certainly are handsome! I have no experience with conures so on that part I cant help you. However, with just about "all" new fids,it'll take some time for them to get acclimated to their completely new surroundings and faces.

You are doing a great job already,on learning all that you can about the proper care for these two. As far as feeding goes,like I have mentioned, I have no experience with conures or their eating requirements.
Amy is 27 years old. She eats ANYTHING :eek: My bad coz I supply here with a "good" seed mixture < if there IS such a thing lol> HOWEVER her main staple is fresh foods..veggies and fruit..some pasta..nutraberries etc.
She actually looks for her nummy bowl every morning,would rather eat whats in that then eat seeds.
BB,the new normal grey cockatiel eats zupreem fruity pellets with a mixture of a "specially formulated" cockatiel seed mix that the breeder developed on his own < he has been in business for about 38 yrs and breeds/raises everything from tiels to Hyacinth macs and everything in between> and has a very good reputation for his flock.
BB also gets millet for treats and he is really starting to get into people food...corn,peas,lettuce,tomatoes..grapes sometimes...watermelon and 'nanna's...sometimes scrambled eggs with a piece of cheese..
I know this is not prolly a conure diet...but..

Give your new guys time..and patients! BTW...we NEED more pictures!
Again..welcome to the best dang parrot forum around and GOOD LUCK!
Oh,,,what are their names?? lol

Jim

peachface

Mar 23, 2014
ON, Canada
Parrots
2 peachfaced lovebirds
1 Pearly Conure
If I might offer a bit of encouragement...
I just adopted a conure, and she's my first. I have lovebirds, so I have some experience with parrots. I had expectations going into this that were shattered quickly.

It must be so discouraging to feel like your birds - whom you took so much time to research and welcome into your lives - don't even like you. Bailey looked so sweet in her pictures, and the family she lived with had wonderful things to say about her. Then she arrived at my house and took a round out of every hand that went near her. I instantly felt like I had made a mistake. That was only two weeks ago, and I tell you, we have made a LOT of progress since then. Bailey has become my little buddy, and I think a lot of it has to do with my being patient and letting my expectations go.

I let her out of her cage often, and I let her go where she feels comfortable. As much as I would LOVE for it to be on my hand or snuggled somewhere near me, I want it to be HER idea, not mine. Last night was the first time she chose to be near me, beside me on the couch. It was a small victory.

Be patient. Let them get used to everything. Let go of all expectations and for now, forget what other experts are saying should be happening. All birds are different.

Before I got my first lovebird, I bought the cage and filled it with toys. When my lovebird arrived, she didn't like most of what I bought for her. I ended up slowly replacing everything with her chosen toys and perches, and moving things around to suit her preferences. You will figure it out as you get to know your birds. They will let you know what works and what doesn't.

Bailey is a biter. I don't know if she always will be, or if she's just setting boundaries as she settles-in, but I switched to a perch to move her around, and that works for us. Of course I want her to be comfortable on my hand, but I want to move at her pace. Find what works for you, and you will notice that it gets better in time. Slow progress is still progress! Good luck!

Most Reactions

Latest posts