new owner of orange wing amazon

pitterpat3

Feb 18, 2010
Hi, I am a new member and need some help with my orange wing amazon? :green: I need to knwo which is the best way to get a dna test. One company wants a tail/wing feather the other said they want 4 chest feathers. Which is the best one to do?

Last edited:

Stacye and Tiki

Jan 16, 2010
Media
Parrots
Yellow-sided Green Cheek Conure - Tiki, Green Cheek Conure - Dexter
I just had blood drawn when I took mine to the vet and they sent it for DNA testing as well as used it for doing some other blood work I believe. I think that might be easiest if it's time for your baby's check up!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Welcome on board, you have chosen a wonderful site.
I agree with all the above recommendations a blood test, always the most accurate.

Last edited:
OP
pitterpat3

pitterpat3

Feb 18, 2010
Thank you all for your help. I am a new bird owner but I am already hooked. Sorry I did not do this years ago.

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
Welcome, and again blood work from a qualified avian vet is the best way to go, also keeps your bird from associating you with the discomfort, and never let them do the nail clip to get blood. Glad you are enjoying your baby they are very addicting :)

Stacye and Tiki

Jan 16, 2010
Media
Parrots
Well you have to pay for the office visit and then I think its anywhere from 25-50 dollars depending on where your vet sends the blood to get the tests done :)

Amp

Jan 25, 2010
Media
Tampa, FL
Parrots
Jenday Conure
Yeah, the office visit is going to run me about $55. I was just wondering how much more on top of that it was going to run me. How long do the results take to get back?

Stacye and Tiki

Jan 16, 2010
Media
Parrots
I got my results for Tiki back in 7 days. I'm an awesome guesser tho.. Tiki was a girl just like I thought she was!

Gos

Nov 12, 2009
Not so.
I coined a phrase many years ago from observing life in general and I can tell you this:

"Whenever you have a 50/50 chance for the right answer, you'll get the wrong answer 90% of the time."

Back to the blood test.
Ditto the vet, but check up on the blood draw point for a few days after the draw. More than a few falcons have been killed from drawing blood out of the underside of the wing. Seems a couple of days after the blood draw a clot can form that hinders circulation and causes the falcon to loose her ability to fly until the swelling goes away. Some falconers back on the Atlantic found a few Peregrines that were flightless with these injuries and freshly banded legs. Turns out to be a common reaction to drawing blood from those tiny vanes.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts