New parakeet dad

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Hey, also--- he can have some seeds...he's a parakeet-- they would eat some in the wild. It just shouldn't be most of his diet, BUT if that is what he knows, don't cut him off too fast or he could starve. I know that sounds dramatic, but some birds are picky enough to do just that.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Azule has his feathers all spread out what does that mean?

Sometimes birds will fluff up if they are cold. Sometimes if they are sick, sometimes if they are napping. If he isn't fluffed most of the time, it's probably fine. Make sure he isn't under any fans or near any vents/drafts. They don't tolerate blowing air well and cannot regulate body temperature like we can, so major shifts or prolonged exposure to blowing air is not good for them.

Last edited:

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
AS long as he is not cold or sick or starving, then the Fluffing is a Good Sign.

They are the opposite of mammals. Mammals hair will stand on end (even humans, that's why we get goose-pimples) to make ourselves look bigger if unsecure or weirded-out or otherwise feeling unsafe or uncomfortable. Cats hair goes up if they're Not happy.

But birds -- a bird that is well but feels un-safe or etc, wants to ready for flight. So in uncomfortable situations he will slick down all his feathers so they are ready to open and fly. Nicely-fluffed will add a micro-second to his flight-startle response.

They last couple times I had a visitor, my Sunny was less than happy. She went to the back of her cage and Pretended to be boring, just sitting there. But she was all slicked down.

Birdie that is Floofy -- again, if Not sick Not cold not starving etc -- is a comfortable relaxed bird. That should mean he likes you, or at least getting used to you -- and is starting to relax in your presence. :)

OP
F

Five.five_six

Jun 17, 2020
Dad here, just popping in to say thanks again and Azul is doing well. Not all that fond of me but is pretty comfortable around the giant food monster that feeds him ( my son) and has even taken a few finger rides with him.

I’m sure we’ll be back with more questions but thanks so far!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I think someone should come and check on the little one at least once.....

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I would be very very uncomfortable with the idea of 5 days away...
I would have someone come to the house morning and night, or board him...He is going to be all alone and that is not natural, plus, if his water got dirty (or clogged, or spilled---depending on the type of dispenser) that would be terrible...
Plus, if he was somehow injured etc, you wouldn't know...

OP
F

Five.five_six

Jun 17, 2020
I would be very very uncomfortable with the idea of 5 days away...
I would have someone come to the house morning and night, or board him...He is going to be all alone and that is not natural, plus, if his water got dirty (or clogged, or spilled---depending on the type of dispenser) that would be terrible...
Plus, if he was somehow injured etc, you wouldn't know...

I think someone should come and check on the little one at least once.....[/QUOTE

We had a neighbor come over every day, she had a parakeet as a child

Vacation was only 60 miles away so I even came home to check in on her once.

Now that it looks like air travel may open up again, we are planning 2 weeks in the Caribbean. That will be more challenging. I have a large fish tank that evaporates 1-2 gallons a day.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Two weeks a challenge, you'll need a full-service concierge several times per week. Do you have a trusted friend to "board" the parakeet? As bonus, you can Face Time/Skype to keep in touch. Birds are extremely visual and react well to video on monitors/tablets/smart phones.

Most Reactions

Latest posts