New parents

Bietz

Jun 10, 2019
Parrots
Chico a sun conure
Hi everyone..im new here..my husband and i just got a sun conure..he is our very first bird..he is 23 yrs old and the previous owner was no longer able to take care of him..the family was going to put him to sleep but i said no that i would take him knowing that he bites...we have had him now for 2 weeks..he started to bond with me but then decided he wanted my husband..(hurt my feelings)..he has bit me 2 times now so i am afraid of him..please help me..i want him to bond with me...

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
1. You can't choose who your bird bonds with.
2. You have learn to read his signals and make sure you aren't providing incentive for him to bite---2 weeks is awfully early for you both to be handling him much.

Okay...This may turn into a novel, but as first time owners, there is so much that you probably don't know (and need to know).

Please, please , please read my post (Noodles123) on page 2 of the following thread:http://www.parrotforums.com/new-members-welcome/80621-parrot-owner-wanna-seeking-advices-2.html
^There is vital information in there about deadly household products etc

http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html <---building trust

in terms of biting etc- consider this thread (among many others)-- http://www.parrotforums.com/conures/79450-new-conure-need-some-help.html

Right now, you seriously need to slow down, build trust and stop taking it personally. You do not get to choose who your bird prefers, but you can influence it slightly by associating yourself with positive things (low stress activities, treats etc). If your bird is biting you early on like this, it is because you aren't reading its signals. Birds DO warn us before they bite and we need to give their warnings power or we will get bitten.

OP
Bietz

Bietz

Jun 10, 2019
Parrots
Chico a sun conure
Hi..thank you...the previous owner just let him do what he wanted..didnt do anything when he would bite...he always rode in her head and everything..now..since we have him we trying to discourage the biteing..chico gets excited whenever my husband is around..he wants on his shoulder so he lets him..chico is fine with that..he loves it...i can pet him and give him treats...he does get on my shoulder sometimes and hes ok..im trying not to go to fast..didnt think i was anyways...he has free will of the house and has his own room to...i do have alot to learn..thank you for your help...

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
No problem---birds are super unique so there a ton to learn (We all have been there).

You should never react when he bites---unless you know why he is biting. If you are certain that it is to get attention from someone nearby etc, try the shunning method that is discussed by EllenD in that conure link I posted.

You do not want to say anything, or give any more attention than needed after a bite. You definitely don't want to yell or call anyone else over to help. You do not want to teach the bird that biting has any impact on your behavior...
Before a bite, you want to make sure you do all you can to avoid being bitten by respecting body language.
Never punish a bird--- I will write more later.

Last edited:

CallumConure

Apr 10, 2019
Central Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Callum- GCC Hatchday: October 15th, 2016
(nonparrot friends include rats, a dog, and a few reptiles :))
Welcome to the forum! Definitely check out what Noodles sent. Can definitely attest to the unpleasantness that is a conure bite. My GCC is being a hormonal little boy and is deciding I'm sometimes a good chew toy. The important thing is to not react, put the bird back in their cage, etc. When Calum bites me, he gets shunned. For a bird that constantly wants my attention, this is very upsetting to him and bites are few and long in between. It HURTS to get bitten, trust me.

As Noodles said, who the bird bonds is completely up to the bird. Please don't be offended by the conure choosing your husband. The bird may eventually warm up to you and share his or her affection with you. My grandma didn't want it, but my GCC has also chosen to be affectionate to her. Until about a year ago, Callum didn't care too much for my grandmother. Now he headbobs at her and loves to groom her hair and ears (which she is not fond of and Callum just can't understand why). My late budgie, Burd, decided my grandpa was a perfect companion for him. This bird would fly around the house, looking for him, and then land on his head on or on temples part of his glasses. My grandpa thought it was cute how this tiny blue budgie chose him.

Check out those links and take it slow. Two weeks might be going too fast for the new bird. If anything, have your husband attempt the training, the bird may respond better. Then, after a while, you and your husband start training the bird together. Then, you can be the one who gives out the treats. If anything, have a pocketfull of treats and give the conure some every time you're near him, only if he's doing his best behavior. A way to an animal's heart is often paved with yummy treats!

OP
Bietz

Bietz

Jun 10, 2019
Parrots
Chico a sun conure
Thank you...i do give him treats..he has been on my shoulder..but just a couple of times..i know he can feel my fear of him as he did bite me and it did hurt and i yelled...i know im not suppose to do that as they like that but just reflex...how can i get over my fear of him?..i dont want to get bite again..when the previous owner had him everytime i went to clean her house chico would lunge snd bite my feet..she never did anything when he did that..he has had free will of house for 23 years..now that we have him..he has his own bedroom and is free will...his cage is on the floor so he can go in and out whenever he wants..i feed him..change his water..clean his cage...give him treats...and when i get home from work he comes out....he wants to be on myshoulder but as i said..the fear sets in.. i dont know how to get over that as he has bit me twice now..

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome, thanks so much from rescuing your sun conure from a horrible fate of euthanasia. Biting is far from a singular reason to put to sleep.

Wonderful advice and links thus far! As suggested, slow the timeline as you are in the midst of the "honeymoon" phase. Your bird is acclimating to a new environment, different people, etc. Shoulder privileges are earned, not a given due to potential for serious damage. Many of us bestow that honor on our birds, but only once certain biting of the neck is a remote possibility.

One additional thread to consider, Bite Pressure Training: http://www.parrotforums.com/training/63988-bite-pressure-training.html

Please let us know of progress!!

OP
Bietz

Bietz

Jun 10, 2019
Parrots
Chico a sun conure
I dont know how to put pic on here...

OP
Bietz

Bietz

Jun 10, 2019
Parrots
Chico a sun conure
Good morning...i am really needing help with the body language...for example..when i come home from work first thing i do is let my dog out...then pay attention to my cats and dog for a bit..then i out them in a room...then i let xhico out...i then grab his cage and bring to the livingroom..he acts excited to see me...after i put his cage on stand in front of window...i will put my hand down to the floor...he will get on it and climb to my shoulder..i then go to the cage and he gets on that..from there i am no longer able to get him off without him biting me...and what does it mean when his wings are xlose to his body and he shivers them?...i really dont know the body language and want to learn it so bad...can anyone please help me to learn it?...i have tried to upload a video of him but i cant for some reason..

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
Hi everyone..im new here..my husband and i just got a sun conure..he is our very first bird..he is 23 yrs old and the previous owner was no longer able to take care of him..the family was going to put him to sleep but i said no that i would take him knowing that he bites...we have had him now for 2 weeks..he started to bond with me but then decided he wanted my husband..(hurt my feelings)..he has bit me 2 times now so i am afraid of him..please help me..i want him to bond with me...

Welcome Bietz. I admire your empathy in taking on an older bird rather than have him euthanized. I'm confident that with a heart like yours you will be able to overcome fear and work through the biting behaviour. Your bird is adjusting big-time after 23 years with one owner. Use the advice given and the links that Scott has provided...time, patience, and consistent application of 'training methods' will ensure that you earn each other's respect.

Most Reactions