New parront!

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
So adorable! Many congrats on your new baby! :D

Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
What a difference a couple weeks makes. I'm jealous over here, as you're much closer to bringing your new baby home than I am. Cockatiels are a real treat to own.

OP
T

TexasWade

Mar 13, 2016
Denton Tx
Parrots
Mumble Quaker, hatched 5/25/16
I had a nice visit with Dusty today and got the DNA results and... it's a boy!

On my first visits I think I was probably as nervous as he was and I didn't stay long. Maybe only 5 or 10 minutes. Today I had him for a good 45 minutes and got to know him a little bit. Before today I had thought birdy's feet just naturally trembled all the time, but after holding him longer he got a bit calmer and the trembling stopped. Way cool, I guess he's getting used to me =) Also I had read about their feet getting warmer before they poop, which seems to be very true! I noticed his feet were kind of warm at one point and soon after he let one go, haha.

Also I got to see the famous cockatiel dander. It wasn't as fine as I expected, more like little floaty wispy hair than powdery dust. And he was making a fair amount of it as he preened himself constantly. I guess he was preening more than usual because he was still drying out from his morning bath.

Aside from the general bird owner stuff, I also found that he seems to have an interest in my camera. He perks up at the shutter sound. Also he was bobbing his head a bit when I sang to him and whistling seemed to interest him more than anything else. That makes his little crest go right up!

No doubt about it, he's the best bird ever! ;)

And the pics of course :smile015:

CIMG0283_zpssqfsqc21.jpg

CIMG0280_zpsumxf0ng3.jpg

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
Dang, he's so cute. Glad he's a boy. You'll never have to worry about egg-binding and males do all those cute songs and such (not that females are wonderful, too). It will be fun to watch him change into his "man hat" of color. Dusty is perfect.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Look at him, he is getting used to posing already:)
May is going to be so exciting for you, I bet you can't wait to be reunited with your love and bring home Beautiful Dusty as well!

OP
T

TexasWade

Mar 13, 2016
Denton Tx
Parrots
May is going to be so exciting for you, I bet you can't wait to be reunited with your love and bring home Beautiful Dusty as well!

yes, yes yes!!

Also I forgot to mention that he likes his head rubs already! He stops everything and holds perfectly still when I start messing with his tiny scalp. I think he'd sit there all day for that. I could see his little eyelids getting heavy after a minute or two. Such a cutie :D

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)

yes, yes yes!!

Also I forgot to mention that he likes his head rubs already! He stops everything and holds perfectly still when I start messing with his tiny scalp. I think he'd sit there all day for that. I could see his little eyelids getting heavy after a minute or two. Such a cutie :D

I so love a bird who loves their scritches:)

10i

Apr 13, 2016
Great stuff, when I bought my cockatiel I was hoping for a boy.

There is something special about cockatiels :)

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
A boy :)! He is so stinking cute!! I love seeing Dusty, and it's great that he's already becoming cuddly with you!

OP
T

TexasWade

Mar 13, 2016
Denton Tx
Parrots
I got some good news this morning! Seems Dusty already weaned last week and is now scheduled to come home on April 30!!

Also I was going to take some pics just for myself today, being a mid-week visit and all, but I accidentally got video instead, lol. Must have slid the switch over by accident when I got my camera out of my pocket. So here's the video, hahah... it's nothing special but it's short enough and the Dusty is well centered and in focus so I guess I'll share :D

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuGlKtcpYwY&feature=youtu.be"]MVI 2788 - YouTube[/ame]

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
Dusty or CT, he's sure to have a nice new home - have fun getting acquainted :D

OrnithAudrey

May 26, 2015
Katy, TX
Parrots
At home: Clover- Alexandrine, Sage- Moustache parakeet
At work: Rio- Hyacinth macaw, Major- Major Mitchell's cockatoo, Fruit Loop- Keel-billed toucan, Bayju- Black palm cockatoo
So handsome! I know you're counting down the days :)
I wish I had your whistling skills! Major is an excellent whistler and I'd love to teach him some little ditties like that, but I can't whistle to save my life.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Yay, that's great news :)! Dusty is such a cute little guy, I don't blame you for being excited!

OP
T

TexasWade

Mar 13, 2016
Denton Tx
Parrots
Wow, only one more visit and then he gets to come home!

I got his food and some new parront training from the bird shop before my visit today. Looks like he's doing really well. I think they said he's 90 grams now which I guess is good for an 8 week old Cockatiel?

I have to show him off of course, hahah He seems as comfortable perched on my son's finger as he is on mine :grey:

image1_zpsgpmwirvd.jpg

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Dusty is too cute :). I think it's a good weight for him now. Pretty soon he'll be at home!!

10i

Apr 13, 2016
A beautiful cockatiel, so glad they give training. Dusty will have a good home with you.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

OP
T

TexasWade

Mar 13, 2016
Denton Tx
Parrots
I had my last visit with Dusty today since on Saturday he's coming home with me!

CIMG0317_zpsq0nszjgq.jpg

He grew up so fast! Today he flew off of me twice. Both times he flew across the baby bird room, turned around as he neared the far wall and came back. On the first flight he actually landed on my hand! Second time he ended up on the floor but I may have moved around trying to be there for him when he needed me to stay still. I guess we'll have to work on that move, haha.

The bird shop recommends clipping them when they fledge saying they'll get bratty if they know they can fly away any time they want to misbehave. I told them I'd prefer to not have him clipped, but now I'm kind of second guessing myself. Maybe as a first time bird owner I should opt for anything that helps me maintain control? Or maybe I should give him a chance to be naughty first and then have him clipped if we have incidents that need to be curbed.

What do you think?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
I am so excited for you! Only a couple more days now:)
As for clipping him, I would hold off. You can always decide to clip later on if necessary, but he may be just fine fully flighted.
If you do decide you need to, just make sure he has completely fledged first.

Most Reactions

Latest posts