New parront!

OP
T

TexasWade

Mar 13, 2016
Denton Tx
Parrots
Mumble Quaker, hatched 5/25/16
Ok! But I might be a little bit confused on what fledging means exactly? I thought since he flew out and came back he basically was done. How do I know when he's completely fledged?

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I agree with Terry. If you know you'd prefer him to be flighted, then hold off. It isn't always going to be a problem, especially if you get to training from the get go.

Fledging is simply when a baby bird flies for the first time. It's good to make sure they've got this new skill of flying pretty well mastered before making the personal decision whether to clip or not. So not to clip just as soon as they fly out of the nest the first day in other words.

Depending on the individual, it's one of the factors that 'can' impact later in life and make a difference between self confidence and insecurity based behavior issues. Although my boy Robin (as well as other birds I know of on the forum) were never able to fledge, have no instinct to fly, and are still mentally well adjusted.

OP
T

TexasWade

Mar 13, 2016
Denton Tx
Parrots
Thanks much. I think I'll stick with my decision to leave him unclipped for now.

OP
T

TexasWade

Mar 13, 2016
Denton Tx
Parrots
Between being picked up from the bird shop, visiting the vet, and a longish ride home, it's been a busy morning for the birdy. And he was great through all of it :)

Naptime at last!

IMG_2796_zpsi5ufhkye.jpg

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Oh look at him, the sweetheart! He's already had a hard day. I'm glad he's finally home :).

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
The picture of contentment...he is Adorable :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts