New Parrot Baby/New Owner

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
No, PFOA's are totally different than PTFE's, and there are actually others as well...T-Fal, if that's the brand, uses a form of Teflon-non-stick coating, which is not safe!!!! Please don't use T-Fal pans! The packaging needs to say either "green/eco-safe/flourocarbon-free", or both "PFOA and PTFE free", and cannot contain any type of non-stick coating that contains Teflon...the T-Fal name came from "Teflon"...

You can buy a very good set of ceramic non-stick pots and pans at places like Ross or TJMAXX for less than $50...or you can use stainless steel, cast iron, real copper, etc. But no T-Fal, and nothing that has the black non-stick coating!!! What happens is when that black, non-stick, teflon coating heats up to near 400 degrees F, the flourocarbons are released, and the fumes are almost instantly fatal to birds. There is not a thing you can do about it. And there are many accounts of birds that were on entirely different floors of a house, behind closed doors, who have dropped over dead while people were cooking in the kitchen...It's so easy to allow a pan to heat-up too hot, and then that's it...So it's simply not worth the risk, same thing with normal cleaners, scented candles, sprays, incense, etc. You just can't use them anymore.

crazyforfeathers

Aug 18, 2012
Parrots
Limbo (7 year old Dusky Conure), Prisma (4 year old Parakeet), Stormy (2 year old Parakeet)
Looks like a very beautiful and healthy baby to me! Welcome!

As for pans, I use a combination of ceramic and stainless steel. Tried and tested, you get what you see with no chemical coatings to make you paranoid.

OP
KasiaAndy

KasiaAndy

Jun 28, 2018
Canada
Parrots
Cinnamon Conure (deciding on a name)
Thanks for all the advice and such. I understand that everyone is passionate about parrots here but there's no need to put so many !!!s everywhere. I was just asking a question so I can understand the difference.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Just as an FYI for everyone, while T-Fal may originally have been only non-stick, they also make great stainless steel cookware. So Kasia, if what you have is non-stick, get rid of it but if it’s the stainless, you’re fine.

Welcome to the forums, congratulations on your sweet new baby! And I’m with you on the exclamation points [emoji5]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions