New Quaker Parrot mom!

galileosmom

Mar 29, 2014
Parrots
Galileo-Quaker parrot
cockatiels- Olivia and Buford(RIP)
Hi I am super excited to join this page and get some great tips from everybody! In the past i have had two cockatiels and now i have a new companion, a quaker parrot! I honestly have no idea where to start with training. He Knows how to step up, he lets me pet his back, and sometimes i can grip him and pick him up. I can tell him "gimme a kiss" and he will (sometimes lol) but what is super important to teach them? He is six months old and the sweetest birdy i have owned this far and i want to keep it this way! Also i just ordered a harness and a leash so we can go outside (i frequent summer fests, fairs, and camping so i thought this would be a great tool and a great way of bonding) but i am afraid he will get out of it while we are outside does anyone have one of these and how safe are they? Thank you guys so much!
Galileo's Mommy :D

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hello and welcome!
Galileo sounds like such a sweetheart! It sounds like he is learning things quite quickly.
I don't use a harness on my birds, but I know several members do and I am sure will be able to help you with that.
I am so glad you joined and I would love to see pictures of Galileo:)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Congrats on your new Quaker, and welcome to the forum :). Quakers are illegal in CA where I live, but I still see them here from time to time. Sounds like you have the basics down. Maybe stick training for when he "grows up" and has hormones, it's always good if they know how to step onto a stick (if you need to move him) so you won't end up bloody! Independent play is also important. Give him plenty of toys to shred and forage in to keep him occupied when you're away. I've heard Quakers are a very active, inquisitive species.
Aviator harnesses are a great product if your bird accepts one, or learns to. Nice idea to take one outside where it's safe :)

OP
galileosmom

galileosmom

Mar 29, 2014
Parrots
Galileo-Quaker parrot
if i could figure out how to add pictures i would lol

OP
galileosmom

galileosmom

Mar 29, 2014
Parrots
Galileo-Quaker parrot
Oh hes so spoiled, hes got so many toys. And bloody fingers? Will he get that aggressive when he sexual matures? He is fine with me right now,lightly biting when im trying to get him out of his cage every now and then, but thats it.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Any parrot can (and will EVENTUALLY) draw blood :). Some species even will as juveniles, but many birds won't show that side until puberty at a couple years, to several years old depending on the species. Though each individual parrot is different of course, generally if you establish a good bond and trusting relationship base on positive reinforcement, you should be okay for the most part. Typically males (of most species) show more hormonal aggression. You'll be okay ;)

Most Reactions

Latest posts