New, questions...

Mozzy

Sep 28, 2013
So Cal
Parrots
Jubilee Macaw
Hi y'all!

I introduced myself in the "introductions" section.
I have an opportunity to get a "jubilee" baby this weekend. I have previously owned a macaw, so I am familiar with macaws and their needs. BUT my (previous) macaw was a "second hand" bird and I got him at about a year or so old. I have not hand fed a baby, but I feel confident in my abilities.

Here are my questions:

1. Would you get an un-weaned baby? Why or why not?

The breeder says the baby eats twice a day, but from what I've read, the baby should be eating three times a day.
2.Can I increase the number of feedings?
3. When should I begin offering "solids"?

Thanks!!!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Welcome to the forum!

1. I would not suggest getting an un-weaned baby to any novice! It's not as easy as it sounds hand feeding a baby bird as they can aspirate easily and die on you. Then there's possible infection you may deal with if you don't do something right. If you make the food too hot you'll give them crop burn, too cold you make them sick with sour crop, infection, etc. Then there's crop impaction, crop stasis, and more. We hear it on this forum practically everyday with someone getting an unweaned baby and hear all kinds of horrible stories. There was one not long ago with her Macaw, she brought the macaw in to the vet countless times due to crop burn, infection, etc. The end up vet bill could actually buy you a weaned macaw.

By hand feeding yourself does NOT mean the bird will be tamer with you, that's not true! I have myself and seen others whom have done it, that the baby ended up loving someone else other then the hand feeder.

2. Yes you can increase the number of feedings IF the crop is completely empty! Depending on the age of the baby determines the amount of feed they would require and we have no idea how old the baby your wanting is.

3. Yes you can begin to offer solids such as fruits and veggies. Also soaked pellets as weaning food, you do all this during fledging time. Cause before that, they may or may not take it. Plus you really don't want to mix formula with food items depending on how fast they digest.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Your welcome! Hope you the best with that cute baby! ;)

Most Reactions