New RB2... how fast to go?

PhoenixRising

Jul 8, 2017
Hello! My new RB2 came home the other day. He is four months old, adorable and as sweet as can be. He already has made himself at home in less than 3 days. He follows me and my fiance around and nudges and nibbles our fingers until we pet him and if he's on the ground he will do the same thing with our toes, hahaha. He already knows step up and has been content on my lap and shoulders for the past 2 hours. He's great.... but I am new to baby birds. I know this cuddly phase won't last. So my question is how much do I encourage it, and how much do I back off? I go at his pace with everything, but right now, he just wants to be stroked under the chin and close. He would not let us stop if he had his way.

I'm not new to birds, but I am new to babies as my other birds are rescues.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I'd say the main thing is, it's good to encourage the behavior, but it's also good to encourage self play via foraging activities and toys. Teaching desired behaviors beyond just 'step up'. Help to stimulate his brain, too, by teaching other behaviors which can include turn around, pick up an object and drop it in something, 'big eagle', 'high four', etc.

Most Reactions