new ringneck owner

Joshua

Mar 15, 2013
south africa
Parrots
1 sun conure (ZAZU)
HI guys great forum!
i am getting a blue ringneck today shes a year and a half old but she has been tamed by her current owner and i am getting her from him. my question is since she has been tamed by him and spent so much time with him will she bond with me if so will it take longer than usual. :blue2:

Parrotdise

Mar 14, 2013
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot, Sam, Double Yellow Headed Amazon, Sierra & Black Headed Caique, Daisy Jane
My knowledge of Ringnecks is limited, but if i am speaking of parrots/keets in general i would say it somewhat depends on the bird, i think if you have experience with parrots that can be an asset, if it's your first bird i wouldn't worry, i think a persons first bird is the bird they often times develop the most special bond with, unique to to any other bond. I would expect an adjustment period as with any bird. Congrats on your I.N. I think they are stunning and so entertaining. I have only been on this forum for a very short time, and it has been wonderful. I must say you came to the right place =)

OP
Joshua

Joshua

Mar 15, 2013
south africa
Parrots
1 sun conure (ZAZU)
thanks for the reply I just collected her and she is not that tame at all she will take food from me but she is very scared as I expected how long do you think I should leave her on her own for?

Parrotdise

Mar 14, 2013
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot, Sam, Double Yellow Headed Amazon, Sierra & Black Headed Caique, Daisy Jane
I think if it were me i would keep her surroundings calm and quiet so she can adjust to her new space, checking on her occasionally. If you don't know what her favorite treats are yet, I would try to find out what her favorite treats are and offer her those from my hand. Maybe some little pieces of millet would be good or some cashews broken into little pieces. Once you are able to find the treat she likes best you can later use it as a reward in training.

Parrotdise

Mar 14, 2013
Parrots
Sure anytime =)

Most Reactions