New Scarlet Macaw Owner.. Need Help

Xarak

Jan 5, 2016
Hi guys, Im new here and new to Macaws. I have a bit of a weird situation. I just got my Scarlet Macaw Three days ago he's 9 years old and his story is a little odd. His owner (whom i've never met) was in some serious debt and apparently offered his Macaw as payment to somebody he owed money, I don't understand how anyone could do that! So the guy who got him didn't know what to do with him so he gave him to a friend of mines uncle and told him to sell it. My friend told me about this and i decided to buy him. He had been away from his owner at this point for about 2 weeks. I don't know much history here but what i do know is that he was supposedly well taken care of in his old home although i dont think his transition period was very pleasant cause neither person who got him really knew how to deal with him and i think they just left him in the cage most of the time.
When i first met him he did step up but he wouldn't let anyone touch him. I took him home and he decided to stand on top of his cage and hasn't wanted to move since. He moves around the top of the cage.. climbs down for food then goes back up. He will accept food from my hand but whenever i try to get closer to get him to step up he just moves away. I tried using a perch but he also moves away. Hes not aggressive, hes very calm, just seems like hes afraid and doesnt like being locked in his cage. I've let him stay there he doesnt seem to wanna explore even when im not home. I talk to him everyday and spend time with him and give him food but like i said i dont have experience so im worried im never gonna get through to him. Is it just a matter of time at this point? Should i just give him his space till hes ready? What can i do in the meantime? Any advice will be appreciated. Sorry for the long post!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I won't even begin to comment on the way he came to be with you.

Okay, hanging out on the top of his cage like that probably means he is disoriented and not sure if he can fully trust you yet. His whole world has been turned upside down, especially if he went from a happy situation to an unhappy situation.

This is probably part of the settling in process. Give it time.

Second, the more you handle him, the more he will begin to trust you. Don't force the interaction but encourage it, and try and get the bird to come to you and initiate contact. Once he does that, and nothing bad happens, trust will be established, and you can build on it from there...

Have you tried sitting next to the cage with say, a favorite treats, or an interesting toy, or playing a favorite macaw game like peek e boo with a towel...

Get him interested in interaction.

Last edited:
OP
X

Xarak

Jan 5, 2016
Have you tried sitting next to the cage with say, a favorite treats, or an interesting toy, or playing a favorite macaw game like peek e boo with a towel...

Thanks for the reply , His cage is currently where i spend most of my time while at home on my laptop or TV. So he does get to be around me most of the time. But i will definitely try out your advice. One thing i noticed is that he grinds his beak before going to sleep which i read is what they usually do before sleep and that its a sign of contentment so i guess that a good thing!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

Thanks for the reply , His cage is currently where i spend most of my time while at home on my laptop or TV. So he does get to be around me most of the time. But i will definitely try out your advice. One thing i noticed is that he grinds his beak before going to sleep which i read is what they usually do before sleep and that its a sign of contentment so i guess that a good thing!

Yeah, that's a relaxed and happy thing.

Once you establish trust, he'll begin to open up with you. The challenge is getting him over the hump the first few times... once you do that, the interaction factor goes way up.

Last edited:

nicolino

Sep 9, 2015
S.Florida
Parrots
Scarlet Macaw
Double Yellow Head Amazon
Start with the clicker training ASAP !!!

Do not force anything , let him adjust .. My mush mac ( Scarlet also ) was exactly like yours at first when I got her. I started with clicker and treat , once she was comfortable taking a treat from my hand I followed up with step up training. Don't rush.

Last edited:

JackTheParrotLover

Feb 13, 2016
Seeing as you're around him a lot, try grooming him through the bars. Offer him treats so he associates your hand with something good. If he already trusts you then try having him sit with you while you do your work. Just be careful when breeding season starts as he is a male scarlet, so he's going to get rowdy. Hope this helped!

Most Reactions