New Sun Conjure

Fenrir

Feb 7, 2012
Columbia, SC
Parrots
Wife has 1 Sun Conure
Hello everyone,

My wife will be bringing our first bird home next week and we had a question about her. My wife has been going to the breeder for the last couple of weeks to get Sundrop used to her and we have noticed she is starting to get a pretty sever under bite. The breeder has offered for my wife to choose the other sun conjure but my wife has bonded with the one she picked out.

Is an under bite something that can be easily corrected?

Here is a picture: http://imgur.com/54oET
54oET

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Personally I would choose the other baby. The little one with the underbite will need to see a Vet. Not to sure if it can be corrected either, now the bub is older. To correct this type of problem it is best to try & manipulate the beak back in place while it is still soft, once the chick is older & the beak has hardened it is much more difficult.

Prognathism: This is a beak condition that resembles an underbite, as the upper beak rests on or in the lower beak. Like scissor beak, this condition may be genetic or the result of other factors. To treat this condition, you can try to apply pressure to the beak in a similar manner as you would for scissor beak. Your bird may need to wear a special appliance, though, to correct the condition.

The problem with leaving it untreated is that the top beak will keep growing very quickly & will need a trim as the bird won't be able to groom the beak it's self.

OP
Fenrir

Fenrir

Feb 7, 2012
Columbia, SC
Parrots
Wife has 1 Sun Conure
Thanks for the information! However my wife is quite attached to the little guy and I might give a avian vet a call on what they would recomend to be done. If the procedure is expensive do you think it's reasonable to ask for a discount on the bird? I know the breeder has been trimming the lower beak every couple of days so hopefully it wont be an issue when we bring him home. I will see if my wife can get a better picture of is beak tomorrow.

amysaviary

Dec 16, 2011
Chambersburg PA
Parrots
African Grey-Kenya
Blue and Gold- Baby
Jenday Conure- Izzy
Hahns Macaw- Derby
Cockatiel- Lemon
Senegal-Dylan

I breed, Sun, Green Cheek, Black Capped and Crimson Bellied Conures. Also IRN's
It will keep growing! It will always need trimed!This is not something that will be OK when u bring him home. I am a breeder and I would tell u to take the other baby. It will be many many vet bills and lots of problems. You really want to start with a healthy baby!

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
I also am a breeder & i had a baby eclectus that had some sort of accident in the nestbox & had 1/2 the bottom beak ripped off. I had thought of putting the little thing to sleep but had read up on birds with disabilities & how with help can adjust. So i hand fed her & when she was almost weaned I took her to my Vet & asked would he like to have her for a family pet because i knew she would forever need to have her beak trimmed. I gave Rosie to my Vet. I didn't want any money for her just a forever home. They love her & she has the treatment she needs.

So I would put it to your breeder especially since she is already trimming the beak, if she would consider giving you the bird free of charge & then get the necessary help it needs. Something else to think about this baby could have other health issues that no one has picked up on. Like him being a carrier of some disease.

If i ever have a chick that isn't up to scratch or of good quality i don't charge i will find it a forever home.

TurquoiseMel

Aug 10, 2011
NJ
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures
Turquoise: Loquito (Little crazy) aka Loqui.
Cinnamon: Lila
Aww he's soo cute in a funny weird wayyy. Poor thing though.

I agree that I don't think the breeder should charge you for the baby, they should be happy you're even considering a bird with a defect. def ask for the price to be lowered substantially. & I think if you really want to take it you should be 100% prepared for the constant veterinary upkeep the bird will need. If you are up for that for 20+ years (or however long suns live) then maybe you are the right person for this bird C: maybe you're the forever home it needs.

But if you're not 100% ready to take on this EXTREME responsibility (I say extreme cause let's be honest even a normal baby bird is a LOT of responsibility) then you should not take him. at all, don't even let your wife get any more attached to him.

Don't take him out of pity or anything like that, just think about what's best for the bird & weather or not you can provide that.. also think about your wallet! you can't get into this if your not willing to sacrifice a lot of what's in your wallet for your bird.

It's a tough decision especially when your emotions are invested in the little guy /: Good luck!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I was fortunate that I never had that issue when I was breeding. The only issue that I encountered was toe placement issue that I had to re-adjust and also eyes unable to open that I had to intervene to help. Choosing the other baby would be the best option unless your willing to take on the responsibility getting the vet care that the baby needs.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I guess first I would consult the vet to find out what you are in for ahead of time. If it is something you can afford to deal with and you still want that baby, maybe the breeder would just give it to you.

Otherwise I would take the healthy baby instead. It's always good to start with a healthy animal. As it goes down the line you often have animals that develop health issues that must be dealt with. My cat is now on a very expensive prescription diet that costs $50 for an 8lb bag. And she will periodically need medication as well. But, I'm glad she hasn't always has this issue.

I did once look at a lovely Thoroughbred mare that I got on with really well. But, I noticed she wasn't putting full weight on one leg. I had a vet check done and found out she had a broken bone in her knee. Surgery could correct it, but it was $1500, which was the asking price of the horse. The owner begged me to buy her because she was so happy with how the horse reacted to me. I said I would take her only if she would give her to me so I could afford to have the surgery done. She wouldn't, so I had to pass.

So I would find out what the vet says, and what the breeder is willing to do before making a decision.

Most Reactions

Latest posts