New to Amazons a little help needed please :)

Huskytalbain

Jun 30, 2013
Hi, I'm new to this site and new to keeping Amazons. I have recently acquired an orange winged Amazon. I got him/her just over a week ago (I call him Max, he responds quite well to this hehe) He's currently just over 15 weeks old and still having baby formula. I am new to weaning as well as Max. The guy I got him from just told me to feed him "a few times a day" I have searched the net for something but never found any decent information. I'm not sure when his weaning stage will end or if I'm doing the right things.
I feed him when he calls to me which is about 3 to 4 times a day. Other than that the guy told me nothing else. I have some parrot mix which I place out for Max every day and show him where it is and he will occasionally pick at it/play with it and even eat some of it. He has it also in his cage and fresh water everyday which I've never seen him touch.
I'm worried he isn't getting enough nutrients/water to sustain him daily. I would like to know if I can get some baby food jars and try some of these with him as they have veg/fruit in them. I know which foods to avoid with him like avocado, chocolate and a few others.
Sorry for the rant and long message, just a very concerned mother who loves her Max dearly and wants the best for him :)
Any more info would but greatly appreciated.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Firstly, WELCOME to the forum, and congratulations on your Max. :)

At 15 weeks, Max should be down to one hand feeding per day. Do you have a gram scale? In order to sufficiently feed Max, you need his accurate weight. Weigh him in the morning, before he eats, and keep track on his weight. He should eat about 10-12% of his body weight. For example if he weighs 500g, he should eat 50g/ml of mixed hand feeding formula at EACH feeding.

Which hand rearing formula are you using, and are you feeding via spoon or syringe? Please make sure the temperature of the formula is correct, so that the crop can empty properly. I "believe" the temp should be around 108 degrees.

During the weaning stage offer Max as many different foods as possible. Fresh fruits, veggies, cooked goodies, pellets, a healthy parrot mix (Goldenfeast mix for example), millet, etc.

Yes, you can try and give Max some baby food. You can also mix a little under his formula. :)

I truly wish the "guy" you got him from would have weaned Max before selling him - but it's too late for that now.

If you have more questions, please don't hesitate and ask. :)

OP
H

Huskytalbain

Jun 30, 2013
Thank you so much for the info. I have some special scales that belonged to my partner when he had hawks (thank god to them hehe) I just need to set them up and adjust them :).
I agree that the guy shouldn't have sold him not being weaned but I fell in love with Max stupidly and took him.
I will weigh Max every morning now and see how he's doing. He does weigh a good amount as he aches my arm when he's resting on it hehe. I have a book I can use for his weight monitoring. I also have a lot of excess baby food as my new born baby wasn't interested in most of it lol.
I'm using Tropican hand feeding formula and using a bent teaspoon as this is how the guy showed me to feed him. He only supplied a small amount of food and neglected to tell me what he was actually feeding him on. With a little research I managed to get hold of Tropican from a local shop. Is this the correct food? I did ask the shop people and they assured me it was fine for him. I really don't want to do anything wrong and I'm trying my best to make sure Max is happy and healthy :)
On another note I have noticed Max is not ringed, I have thought about having him micro-chipped does anyone have any experience regarding this? I would hate for him to fly away and not stand a chance of being returned to me :(

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Yes he is large enough to be chipped, (over 100 grams)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hey now, no apology needed about falling in love with a beautiful Orange Winged Baby!! :D

I'm glad you are spoon feeding him. :) Less chances of things going wrong. ;)

I personally don't know anything about Tropican handrearing formula. I used Kaytee Exact and/or Zupreem Embrace Hand Feeding Formulas in the past with EXCELLENT results.

Also, there is NO rush in weaning Max. When I said earlier he "should" be down to one feeding a day, that is not set in stone anywhere. It all depends on the bird, and how much he is eating on his own.

I'm attaching a link that's pretty comprehensive about hand feeding, and hope it help.
The Science of Handfeeding and Weaning the Baby Parrot SECTION 1   The Parrot University

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Handfeeding is a good chance for you to socialize your bird and develop a good relationship. Try having others handfeed him also. If your worried about his water intake, increase the amount of water in his formula. Of course this means he'll get less "food" at feeding, but he is feeding himself.(He's also at the "older" age for weaning) You might also want to try using a water bottle. Young,new birds take to it very well. They like to "explore" and will quickly find it all by themselves. Get/use the gram scales. It's a good time to establish this healthy/helpful routine. I add a small perch to mine and "tare" the scales. I assume he has fledged by now, is he flighted? he should be crazy following you around the house wanting to be fed when hungry. Are you near my part of the world? I'm south of Tampa.

Last edited:
OP
H

Huskytalbain

Jun 30, 2013
Hi, I'm in the UK. He can fly extremely well :) He follows me absolutely everywhere. I'm never at peace from him but I love him so much I don't mind hehe. I make his first feed quite watery and his later feeds thicker. He has started to eat a bit more seed but he will not fly to his food bowl unless I take him to it. I have never thought about a water bottle I have plenty of them so thank you for the tip :).
Thank you all for the advice and tips. I will upload some pics of Max when I get chance so you can all see how gorgeous he is :)

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
I know all about free flighted fledglings, LOL. They kind of take over the house. Have you researched the pellet, fresh veggie/fruit diets for amazons?

PS during handfeeding is also a great time to accustom your baby to a flight harness, if you where ever leaning in that direction.

Last edited:
OP
H

Huskytalbain

Jun 30, 2013
I have been looking into a harness for him actually :) I was looking at the Aviator as it seemed to have the best reviews. I got him a low sunflower mix it was the shops own mix but was designed for Amazons. I would like to introduce fresh veg and fruit as soon as he's weaned. I'm sure he'll pick his favorites :) And yes he's taken over my world and house now he's here! lol

OP
H

Huskytalbain

Jun 30, 2013
photo.php
photo.php
This is Max and me :) Not sure I've uploaded these correctly or to the right page hehe

1045209_10151666180482570_1700929565_n.jpg1014636_10151660068302570_580710361_o.jpg

Last edited:

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Weaning is the best time to intro new foods, good luck. No luck with the pics, for me. I usually post to Imageshack,Photobucket, etc and then use imageURL or forum code to post with.

Last edited:

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Looks like a snuggle bunny to me.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
I have been looking into a harness for him actually :) I was looking at the Aviator as it seemed to have the best reviews. I got him a low sunflower mix it was the shops own mix but was designed for Amazons. I would like to introduce fresh veg and fruit as soon as he's weaned. I'm sure he'll pick his favorites :) And yes he's taken over my world and house now he's here! lol

To introduce fruits and veggies, this is what I do. Cut/grate up kale, broccoli, Zucchini, carrots, peas, fruit, etc. (whatever you choose) drain it really good, then mix it up really well you will get him used to a variety early on. Then later, as you add a veggie or a new fruit he won't know the difference. It's colorful, very health, and it's easier to get him to try a new things.

Most Reactions

Latest posts