Parkers First Flight...I Think

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Parker male BF Amazon hatched 5/2/2012
Charlie unsexed BF Amazon hatched 1994?
Juno Female BH Caique Hatched 6-3-2013
So I got up this morning as usual and opened Parkers cage and changed his water...I always leave the door open...I then went downstairs to get a shirt from the laundry room...When I came back he was sitting on the kitchen faucet:D...there is no way he could have climbed down from the cage and back up to the sink in less than 2 minutes...I guess our landing practice has paid off because I didn't hear and commotion at all... It is about 10ft straight shot from the cage to the sink...

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
WOHOO!!!! Way to go Parker!!! :D

I would have LOVED to have seen your face...AND Parker's face when you realized where he was. :D

That is just awesome!! How have you been practicing with him?

OP
ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Wendy...the sink is right in front of the stairs so I saw in right away...he was all fluffy,,,
I have always read that the landing is the hardest when a bird is learning to fly so what I do is get a book with a smooth spine and have him perch on it and just give a very small toss then have him land on my hand, he seems to really like it too he starts talking and clicking...I do that about 4 times each session ... he only goes about 2 ft but that way he is use to the landing part

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
He'll only get better, Heather! :D I think it's SO great that you are teaching Parker that. He must be really proud of himself after a successful landing. :D

I know what you mean about the landing part. I'm currently teaching Ripley to fly, the furthest he's flown was about 6 feet. He landed on my arm perfectly, and then was SO happy about his success, he promptly gave me a good pinch in his ueber excitement. :54:

OP
ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
I now need to work on his take off...I'm not sure how though...I have tried to call him to me and be just far enough away that he would have to jump but he just doesn't seem to have the confidence...

I would be nervous having a bird and big as Ripley land on me they are so heavy compared to my little Blue Front...lol

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Way to go Parker!!!!!

Willie flew 3 times in 10 years and all 3 times he flew towards me. I never acted scared with him flying towards me, but I was scared for Java to try to fly towards me before cause he's up to no good when he does it...lol...

prsgirl77

Jul 5, 2013
Parrots
Pickles YCA
Kiwi OWA
Basil YCA
Pudgie & lemon cockatiels
Abbie & Finch zebra finches
8 budgies
Luna & Lucy RES
Yaaaay good job Parker :) very well done indeed.

Most Reactions