New to Indian Ringnecks, mentoring appreciated!

t.d.k.

May 12, 2018
southwest virginia
On the 6th my bf and I drove about an hour and 45mins away to buy our 12wk old indian ringneck. After reading what I have here in this section, I realize and hope that I may have gotten lucky. This little one was handfed by a young man who apparently, according to him, had raised or bred several different kinds of parrots. Before I picked her up or met her I asked him several questions about her, her interaction with him, her personality, likes and dislikes, favorite toy and A LOT of other things. I asked about her cage and he told me she had been kept in a little plastic terrarium since he had gotten her early and fed her himself, I thought she'd have a little perch in there, but when I got there I saw that she had just been sitting in it, and she's a bit splay legged. She has trouble holding anything with her feet, food or toys, but she is trying. Will her range of motion and ability to grasp improve with practice and exercise? I do hope so for her sake. The splay isn't extreme, but inhibits her balance, that or lack of experience perching. He said he had to sell her because he didn't have time for her, and told me not to expect much from her as far as training goes for awhile, but she already steps up (not so much down) and will fly to me from the coffee table if I lock my fingers together and give her a treat afterwards. I hope that's progress.
She has been nippy on occasion, she's weaned and I so dread the "bluffing" stage. I would very much appreciate any advice on properly bonding with and socializing indian ringnecks. Right now she goes to bed at dark, and wakes up with me at daybreak. She will step up to my finger and let me take her out of her cage, yesterday she was as sweet as sugar all day long, and today I can't move slow enough around her and have been pinched a little bit for fun while she was perched on my hand. I know trust is crucial, how do I earn it? And keep it? I don't think she was messed with a whole lot beyond feeding, she had no toys, but doesn't appear to be interested in the ones I've gotten her either. He said she was too young to have a favorite toy, but she loves lighters! And pop bottle lids. I know these are unique birds, I just want to do this right. Thanks all!:blue2:

Most Reactions

Latest posts