New to macaws and counting the days

mcarr

Sep 2, 2013
Trying to attach a pic of our boy, who will be ready in late Nov to early Dec.

What are your tips for a first time macaw family? We have a CAG. I'm reading everything I can while we wait. He's in a neighboring state. I try to get there on the weekends to see him.

So difficult to leave him each time I visit! However when I'm there I miss my beloved CAG. Look forward to having our family together when he is weaned.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Michelle

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 142

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
My beautiful SI Eclectus Zephyr and my handsome B&G macaw Vandal, daughter's Sun Conure Loki and son's GCC Blaze
Awh, so beautiful! I am very excited for you :) My blue-and-gold just came home last week and it has been so exciting and wonderful. He is just so snuggly and sweet, I'm already completely in love with him. I am looking forward to seeing more of your gorgeous greenwing.

OP
M

mcarr

Sep 2, 2013
Thank you! Congrats on your new b&g. I have lots to learn and hope to get great advice here.

Timneh

Oct 16, 2014
Illinois, Chicago suburbs
Parrots
Greenwing macaw baby girl
That's exciting to get a new baby Macaw, they are amazing birds.

Tips
1. Exotic vet exam, means blood and fecal, even if he's from a closed aviary with all the promises etc.
2. Quarantine him for 2 months in a different room.
3. Macaws need a special diet so learn it.
4. Plan your training routine before he arrives and stick with it. Train him young and he will be an amazing Macaw for life.

Best wishes

OP
M

mcarr

Sep 2, 2013
That's exciting to get a new baby Macaw, they are amazing birds.

Tips
1. Exotic vet exam, means blood and fecal, even if he's from a closed aviary with all the promises etc.
2. Quarantine him for 2 months in a different room.
3. Macaws need a special diet so learn it.
4. Plan your training routine before he arrives and stick with it. Train him young and he will be an amazing Macaw for life.

Best wishes

Thanks. The trainers are working with us, so I feel good with training and what we are learning. They require (in the contract) that we take a bird class before he can come home. Got the vet Lined up (it's a requirement and in the contract I signed which is great practice IMHO) and we will use the same avian vet our CAG sees. will follow the diet and supplements the aviary recommends.

I honestly didn't think I'd have to quarantine since he is in a closed aviary with strict guidelines for anyone entering etc.... I looked for an adult rehome/adoption but didn't find one that was ok around our adult son (who has special needs) and knew I'd have to quarantine if we went that route.....but didn't think I'd have to with the route we are going.

What else can I do? I'm reading tons on the natural encounters site.......any other sites online that are reputable?

Thanks again.

Timneh

Oct 16, 2014
Illinois, Chicago suburbs
Parrots
Greenwing macaw baby girl
It's good you have a vet lined up but the complete fecal and blood exam results might take 48 hours. Lets say you bring your Macaw home and and it has some nasty parasites/pathogens/virus in it's stool, like my hand fed baby Timneh from a Bird Farm has right now, and as you know Macaws make big poops and feather dander, so you could have cross contamination very easily, then you will have to treat your CAG to a certain extent too, washing your cages and perches every day for 4 weeks especially alert to remove poop in the food dish, it's a nightmare I'm going through right now, fortunately I only have this one parrot., my 5 month old baby Timneh Jangles I bought for big bucks from a large Parrot Aviary.
My exotic animal vet gave my baby the first of 2 anti-parasite shots last Friday, then I have to come back in 2 weeks for the second shot and clean his cages and perches everyday for another 2 weeks after that, then re test, it's a real hassle. We are not allowed to say the name of the place I bought him from on the forum but I would not recommend anyone buying a parrot from that place,they gave me attitude on the phone when I called to complain. I'm going to write bad reviews on other sites like consumer report sites etc.
Better safe than sorry, I've seen a Greenwing Macaw with a wet stool squirt one out that splattered 7 feet away from it's cage. So at least quarantine your Macaw in a separate room and separate food water bowls for a week after you get back that the fecal and blood exam passed, just to be on the safe side.

About training, understand every Macaw has at least a slightly different personality, he is like a person. Don't obsess so much about training, training should be like school recess, lots of fun and laughs, and more important than training is of course to have a relationship with your Macaw (bonding) and to observe the things your parrots need on a daily basis.
One of my favorite websites that has been around for awhile is http://beautyofbirds.com/macawsinfo.htm
http://beautyofbirds.com/macawfood.htm
but keep searching for the answers to your questions and you will find it. It might be from talking with your vet or books and magazines, not only online.

I also recommend Kings Cages cage, If you can afford it get a Kings Cages cages (Macaw size), I bought one 3 weeks ago that functions very well, they have great customer service. The cages have a heavy powder coating paint that makes cleaning a breeze. It makes owning a parrot a little nicer when you have a great cage.They are heavy so you might need help with moving the boxes inside and assembly.
Post more pics when you get him. Baby Macaws are a blast, my dream Macaw is the giant Buffons Macaw, hmmm someday.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts