New to the bird world.....

baby65738

Sep 16, 2012
I have taken in my sons bird. He is a green cheek conure and Im trying to learn how to take the best care of him that I can. So I have several questions. First what is birth rung mean? Is that something to do with the metal ring around his foot? What should I be feeding him? My son just had a bag of mixed seed. He also bites me a lot. How do I stop him from that. I want to hold him and stuff but he dooesnt always let me pet him. Please any info would be great.

friedsoup

May 5, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Senegal Male Bogart
First off welcome to the forum and to the world of parrots,Go to the threads on feeding and how to convert to pellets. then go to training and find the thread on "stick training described" these threads should get you thru the start of teaching your new bird the basic of step-up and getting him on a good diet. Good bird inc. has some very good training videos that are not too expensive. hope these suggestions help.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I haven't heard the term "birth rung" used before, especially not with parrots... so I have no clue what that means...

Diet should be a mixture of pellets (preferably without sugar or dyes - Roudybush, Harrison's, TOP's, Mazuri are some good brands), seeds (again, preferably without dyes and not too much or no sunflower seeds and peanuts), sprouted seeds, some fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, cooked eggs, etc.

Parrots aren't dogs. I mean no offense by this, but most parrots don't enjoy petting, and any petting that you should do should remain around the head, as petting on the body may lead to sexually stimulating the bird. The majority of birds must learn to trust someone that they don't know, since most species will not allow handling/petting by strangers. The species that is most likely to accept attention from strangers are cockatoos, and it depends on the birds themselves. Some do, some don't.

So first off, is to earn your conures respect! Don't force him to do something he doesn't want to, and, as mentioned, look into positive reinforcement (Good Bird Inc is one great source! Barbara Heidenreich, Karen Pryor, Melinda Johnson, Susan Friedman, etc). The idea is to keep each session with your bird to be a positive one. Not just for you, but for him as well. A good way is to start out by offering treats from your hands that the bird enjoys eating.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new baby. My guess is that by birth rung they mean the ring that is put on the baby conures leg by the breeder when it was very young. My conure also has a breeders ring on her leg, they do not come off unless a Veteranarian removes it by cutting it off It shouldn't bother the bird by having one on and if you write down the color and any numbers or letters on the band then if the bird ever flies away and is found you can identify your bird by them. The advice on diet is good in the above post. Mine gets a diet of Higgens sun conure seed, fruit vegetable ,nut, pellet diet, plus fresh and cooked vegs ,fruits, pasta ,cooked brown rice, birdybread that I make,small bits of boiled chicken ,beef,shrimp, fish, whatever we eat that isn't loaded with salt, fats, sugar, absolutly NO avacado,alcohol,chocolate,caffine,tea,coffee. On the forum pages there are lots of recepies in the recepie section and also information on the conure postings:D

OP
B

baby65738

Sep 16, 2012
Thank you for the great advise. I will spend some more time looking at the forums. I want to learn to take the best care I can of him cause he has been fun getting to know so far. I will defiantly be changing some of the things that my son had been doing with him. Again thank you all for the great advise.

OP
B

baby65738

Sep 16, 2012
Ok so I got a book and some new treats for Sunny today. They are krunch- a rounds. This is what the girl at the store suggested. So I gave 1 to Sunny and he chewed on it for a little bit and then he started throwing up. Didnt really eat it. He seems fine now but it really concerns me. What should I do. Is he allergic to them?

Most Reactions

Latest posts