New to the forum and Macaws

Gav&Sue

Aug 10, 2009
Devon,UK
Parrots
Hahns Macaw (Owen)
We have just got a hanhs macaw he (we think) is 6yrs old and had very little in the way of human interaction his cage was in a hallway under the stairs....he has never been handled and does not talk....He will currently take food from my hand if i pass it into the cage but is very jumpy whenever anyone walks past him...Can anyone offer us any advice on how we can gain his trust.

His original cage is the 1 on the left which is now home to our 2 cockatiels and we got him a much larger cage.

Attachments

• Owen 001.jpg
    Owen 001.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 357
  • Owen 027.jpg
    Owen 027.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 317
  • Owen 040.jpg
    Owen 040.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 448
  • Owen 036.jpg
    Owen 036.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 308

RKZX2

Jul 18, 2009
Media
Parrots
gold capped conure (Munchie)
moluccan cockatoo (Poppy)
it's going to take some time and patience. don't rush anything. even trying to pet him. he needs to gain your trust. it may take months. talk to him softly, sit next to his cage if he is comfortable with that. if he gets nervous, walk away. get him a nice large cage, get him on a good diet. i adopted a jenday. it took a year to handle him. even then he wasn't too comfortable with it, but would tolerate it for a while. good luck.

Madelaine

Aug 17, 2009
Washington
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon (Petrie), Indian Ringneck (Wasabi), and Eclectus (Milo). RIP (Fuji) Slender Billed Conure.
Give him some time to settle in, I've sure it's very stressful to have been moved.

Time and patience are the biggies, I as for talking, take points in the day when you walk by just to say hi, or say something nice. That's what worked with my birds.
If he picks anything up, it will probably be when he gets to know you a little better. =]

OP
Gav&Sue

Gav&Sue

Aug 10, 2009
Devon,UK
Parrots
Hahns Macaw (Owen)
Hi things are going really well...i can now put my hand in the cage and he will take food from my palm....he seems to be settling down well...i am spending a couple of hours a day sitting and talking to him and he now spends alot of the day out of his cage....i am not expecting miracles overnight and i am under no illusion that it will take a long time to turn him round.....all i know is that is new life is a 100 times better than it was and im sure in time this will help us form a strong bond

RKZX2

Jul 18, 2009
Media
Parrots
gold capped conure (Munchie)
moluccan cockatoo (Poppy)
awesome. great to hear. keep it up & he will be cuddling with you in no time.

Elena

Aug 20, 2009
Media
Albums
Wilkeson, WA
Parrots
2 SI Eclectus, Hahns Macaw, African Red-Bellied Parrot and Cockatiel
I am so encouraged to read your follow-on post. I can see that you are a loving and patient person. Sitting by his cage and talking to him like you do will definitely facilitate building trust. I took a look at the picture of his new cage and he has a great new space you will have fun decorating with toys. You might want to try adding a perch on the door. We use them for our birds - they signal they want to come out and play by moving to the front of their cage.

I look forward to progress reports as you win his heart!

Elena

parasiteeve9

Aug 23, 2009
Maine
Parrots
Red Lored Amazon (Polly)
Hahn's Macaw (Kiwi)
Hi
I too just adopted a 6 year old Hahn's macaw.Kiwi is starting to get used to me and i have him on my shoulder while i'm on my PC.They are soo cute!!!Congrats on your new Hahn's macaw!!!LOL:green2:

Darius

Sep 10, 2009
Fraser Valley British Columbia Canada
Parrots
2 African Grey Congo
1Yellowcrowned Amazon, 1 Indian ringneck
1 Severe Macaw
1 Harlequin Macaw
Your doing great with your new companion enjoy your time with him it won't be long before he comes around. I have a Severe Macaw that had no human interaction for at least 5 years he was locked in a cage in a room all by himself. he was in terrible shape when I got him. I've had him for 1 year now and he steps up now ahd gives me kisses he's very sweet we still have a little way to go but he's a totaly different bird than he was when I brought him home. He was so scared and so unhappy Now he's happy and healthy and not afrais of much any more.

Most Reactions