New to the forum and new to conure ownership

let1it9be

Jun 14, 2012
Long Island NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Hey everyone! I am new to the forum and just thought I would share. I am new to bird ownership. Growing up, I always loved animals. We currently have 3 dogs, 2 cats, a ferret and a crested gecko at my house(not counting the fish). Me and my boyfriend have 3 bunnies, 2 rats, a bearded dragon and we just got a baby green cheek conure. We have had him for about 4 days now and he is already so loved! He loves to be held and he is already getting over the nippy phase. He is getting pretty good at stepping up. The first day he was being a little nippy and clamping down on our fingernails but 3 days later and he is so much better.

He is currently eating a lovebird/conure seed mix but I want to get him on something healthier. I have noticed that he loves the sunflower seeds and I know that isnt the greatest for him. What have you all had luck with? What are some foods you like? Dont like?

Also, treats. What do you use for treats? I have been using the lafebers nutriberries and he loves it. He loves eating the cranberry pieces out of it.

I work at a pet store and we sell fruitables for dogs and they are pumpkin and cranberry flavor. These are the ingredients. Would this be okay to give him? I feel like he would like it because it has cranberries in it.
Pumpkin & Cranberry Ingredients: Pumpkin, Organic Oatmeal, Pearled Barley, Potatoes, Oat Fiber, Canola Oil (preserved with Tocopherols), Brown Sugar, Cranberries, Cinnamon, and Vanilla.

Any additional information would be greatly appreciated because I am new to green cheek conure ownership.

Oh and by the way, we FINALLY decided on a name. After having him for three days and calling him birdy, we decided on a name. We arent sure if he is a boy or a girl but we are calling him a "him" and we named him Yoshi :)

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
Welcome to the forum.
First off no those treats can't be given to birds because they contain sugar and they are meant for dogs so you have no idea what the quality of the ingredients are. And the best diet for him is pellets and fresh fruits and veggies daily. Stop the sunflower seeds because the are bad for him and as soon as he is comfortable with you switch him over to pellets. My favorite pellets are Harrison's, zupreem natural, Hagen tropican, and roudybush.

Last edited:

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Welcome! It's a good idea to convert Yoshi to a pellet diet, along with plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits. Fresh green peas and corn on the cob are favorites with a lot of parrots; carrots and sweet potatoes are also very good. Cooked grains like quinoa and brown rice are also good for parrots. Yoshi may not want to eat them right away, so you'll have to keep offering them, and be prepared to waste some food-- and you may also need to prepare things in different ways before finding one that Yoshi likes. Try vegetables both raw and cooked, larger pieces and finely chopped, etc.

Once Yoshi has adapted to a healthier diet, you can reserve the sunflower seeds for a little treat. Lots of parrots enjoy pumpkin seeds as a healthier treat. Plain air-popped popcorn is good too (made without any oil, butter or salt). Some commercial bird treats that my Quaker parrot Ralph gets occasionally are Kaytee NutraPuffs and ZuPreem Bird Cookies (the cinnamon and cranberry variety are Ralph's favorite and a better choice for Yoshi than the dog treats you asked about).

Most Reactions