New to the grey forum

Foxstone07

Aug 6, 2015
Hi. Somewhat new to this forum. I had originally posted in the Amazon section. So about a month or so ago my wife and I went in to our local bird store and had our hearts set on a grey. I did a lot of research on all types and went back and forth between the CAG and the Amazon both having the up and down sides. After speaking with one of the employees in length we got a little intimidated by the CAG and decided to go with a yellow shouldered Amazon who was still being weaned. We have gone to the store for about month and a half and unfortunately had come to the realization that we just wear not bonding with him. I spoke with the owner of the store (who was very understanding) and we decided to go with our original choice and get a CAG. We got to play with some babies last night and our going back again to see them again. Would love as much feed back as possible as we really want to make sure to do everything right. We already have a cage. 32x32 dome top kings cage and a free standing play gym as well as a lot of toys. I have focused a lot of research on the Amazon lately so trying to play catch up. Still a little down about the Amazon but has anyone else had this happen to them were they just didn't feel the bond/connection. Will post pictures later if we do decide on one tonight.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I think you are totally doing the right thing. Sometimes the bond just isn't there, and since you really wanted a CAG to start with, I think it's a good choice for y'all as well as both birds.

Looking forward to seeing pictures if you decide on one!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
JMO here..how much time did you give the 'zon to "bond" with you? It is not realistic to think "bonding" is going to happen after a few visits of 20 or 30 minutes a couple times a week.

I have/had both species of birds. I got Smokey,a TAG,from a pet store when she was 6 months old. She passed away this april after 27 years with me,and it took her a long time to "kind of" bond with me,but she was my first parrot and I really didn't know much about parrots then.

Amy, my Blue Front, I got when she was 16 weeks old,she is now 27. But when I got her from the "breeder" she was still weaning a bit. I had to hand feed her just once a day,just before her bed time,for just two weeks. The breeder told me that it would help with the bonding process.
All I needed to do was mix a batch of birdie formula,put it in to one of those plastic mustard squeeze bottles you would use like on pic-nics,wrap her loosely in a towel,hold her in one hand on her back,put the "nipple" of the bottle to her beak,and GENTLY squeeze the bottle until her crop was full;)
As soon as Amy saw the bottle, she knew exactly what to do! She would make this noise..GAA GAA GAA GAA GAA..and open her beak. It took all of 5 minutes to feed her,and the breeder was correct,she is bonded to ME very well, I can do just about anything with her.

Amazons can and are very sweet and loveable,as can a Grey. But you can't realistically think it will happen over night or just a few visits.

Like I earlier said..this is just MHO! ;)

Jim

OP
F

Foxstone07

Aug 6, 2015
Hi. We have been going to the store everyday for at least an hour if not more for the last month and a half. Just never felt the bond improve. He was very skittish to begin with and never really liked to get scratches but thought with time maybe he would get better. In the end it just wasn't the right fit as much as we wanted it to be.

Chrissygee

Sep 13, 2015
Northwest NJ
Parrots
1 African Grey, 2 Cockatiels and 1 Pionus
You definitely have to go with your instincts on this. Granted it will take time to bond with any animal and how much is so individual - but you know what's right for you. Looking forward to seeing pictures and all the best to you!

Most Reactions

Latest posts