New Toy

Shoegoo

Nov 3, 2014
I purchased this toy for my GCC and after bringing it home I looked on the back of the hang tag it said " Not for parrots or other aggressive chewing birds". The rings are hard plastic. Should I keep this toy?

Attachments

• 20161010_084023.jpg
    20161010_084023.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 117

wter5989

May 24, 2016
Oh gees,I have the same one in my quakers cage an he plays with it all the time, crap! Now I wonder if I should take it out...Rocco really shakes it when he is playing with it

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

OP
S

Shoegoo

Nov 3, 2014
The only reason I can see for the warning is the plastic. He has another toy that is combination plastic chain and wood blocks. He chews the blocks and pulls on the chain. I swear he chews the blocks when he should be sleeping. So far no problems.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I agree. The S hook could definitely be an issue. Also, the link up top could be as well, if your bird is one of those who is more mechanically inclined. Tightening the link with a pliers would help in that capacity, though.

And another potential danger is the bell clapper. There have been quite a few incidents of parrots pulling clappers free from that type of bell and subsequently choking on them. Personally, unless the toy has the cylindrical style bell where my birds can't reach the clapper, I just remove the clappers entirely. They love the sound, of course, but I just don't take the risk.

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
This is the main reason I make most of my toys from pieces of cardboard boxes and stuff I get at dollar stores, LOL. You can assure the safety based on your own standards plus it's amazing how many practically indestructible chewable things you can get at a dollar store. I bet that toy cost a pretty penny and I can see several things that would make me worry about giving it to any birds with size to them. Mostly the bell clapper and the S hook, as people have mentioned. You could just get rid of that section of the toy, unless it's cheaper to return it and just make one.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I steer clear of s-hooks also. While the chain could also be an issue, it will depend on the size of your birds feet in respect to the chain links. Conures are very playful and its very easy for them to get their foot caught in things like that in the pursuit of being playful.

The clamp hook itself at the top is fine. Skittles has several toys that have chains, but the openings are too big for him to get a foot caught in.

Most Reactions