New

Skittleskarl

Sep 8, 2017
I am writing to introduce myself and express my sadness. We recently adopted a green cheek conure in May. Yesterday he somehow got out of his cage and we found him dead. I did not realize how this would affect me. He was so much a part of our family that I feel very lost. Like loosing a child. I am not sure how to move on. Despite going through the grieving process, we are wanting to get another one ASAP. You don't understand how empty our family is without Fruitloop. Do any of you know how to deal with losing such a close family member and getting a new addition so quickly be the best idea.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Welcome.
Thank you for sharing. You'll get lots of good advice here. Maybe also use the SEARCH tab above to find some great threads on relate subjects. Meanwhil...

As somebody said to me when my mother passed, "May the sorrow of losing her soon be outweighed by the joy of having had her in your life".

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
If that happened to me Im not sure getting another bird would ease the grief at all. How can one replace family?? You cant. If you do choose to find another feathered friend at least consider a rescue bird that needs a home.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Hi and welcome. Yes good advice above and could be best to wait a little while.

It is important to try and work out what happened as the last thing anyone wants is a repeat and another innocent is lost.

Let things just filter for a bit IMHO.

If it would help, you can write all about your lost feathered love on our forums if you'd like to?

http://www.parrotforums.com/remembrance/ here is where you can tell us all about Fruitloop.

Last edited:

Pilaf

Jun 29, 2017
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Pineapple/cinnamon green cheek conure
So sorry for your loss. I know how it feels. In March I lost my little lovebird Pilaf. who I had for 18 years. I didn't know what to do with myself, I felt so horrible. But yours was probably a lot younger, and it is important to try to find out what caused his death, especially before you get a new one, so that it won't happen again.

After Pilaf I didn't get a new bird right away, I needed time to grief. I waited about 3 months and then I felt ready, and now I have a green cheek. What helped me a lot with the passing of Pilaf was reading a book about animals in the afterlife. I believe Pilaf is still around, only in a different way. It is even remarkable how much my new green cheek resembles Pilaf.

Enjoy the memories you have, and believe he's still around and with you always.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
yes definitely don't jump right into a new one. My mother got me a tiel mere hours after I lost Rio. It was awful he picked up on my feelings of loss and upset and it made him overly aggressive with me, leaving literal scars on my arm and some emotional ones.

I lost rio back in may and only now feel truly ready. Give yourself time, work out what happened and how to prevent it, try learning a little more to help improve any new friend's life

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Wait. Wait til the pain subsides some. I lost my little Maxie, who was 1000% bonded to me. I took months before I could even think about another parrot. Salty is a wonderful companion, very different then Max was, and he will never replace Max, but you realize that each parrot is its own bird, and no one can replace Fruitloop, but another little life may be waiting just for you to adopt him or her.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I don't do emotions very well, at least the sad ones, and that's why I don't respond to a lot of grieving posts...but I'd definitely try to find WHY you conure passed and fix that before getting a new bird. I lost a few cockatiels in my childhood one from a a bacteria or eating a plant, unsure; another flew out the door because we never clipped him. It IS a dark pit you're in, it is like loosing a child; but you need to CSI the problem before you go any further.

Most Reactions