Newbie here and to the world of Parrots!

waltersmum

Jun 3, 2012
Brisbane Australia
Hi

I am now the proud owner of a green Cheek Corune.I am now to the world of bird ownership and have been doing some internet research. I'm sorry if my question has been answered a thousand times over :)

Walter is 3 months old and has been handraised. We got him today. we have had a few bites but not many.

I am trying to train him to step on and step off. He will go on my finger only if he is offered a treat. (I have tried a stick but he just runs up it and onto my shoulder which herein lies the problem)

So he steps on and takes the treat and runs upto my shoulder. I cannot then get him down. I can coaxed him down but he wont then get off.

I then have to try and grab him off my shoulder which is hard when he is doing circuits of my neck tryng to avoid my hand. Then when i do get him it is a performance detangling his claws!!

Any tips would be greatly appreciated in particular getting him off my hand and also preventing him from legging it up my arm!

Thanks

Bex:green2:

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Welcome to the forum Bex! Congrats on your new baby! GCCs are great little birds. First, remember he is in a new place, new people, new sounds and smells. He is going to be a bit nervous. You will be spending time building a bond with him. GCCs tend to go through nippy periods as they mature, just for future reference. Right now the nipping is because he is unsure of you and does not trust you yet.
Some birds are afraid of stepping up on perches and some afraid to stepp up on hands. It will take time to teach him all is OK.
First it is great that he steps up when offered a treat. This is called positive reinforcement. You are rewarding him for something you are asking him to do. It is the best way to train a bird.
When he successfully steps up immediately bend your elbow to the down position and against your body with the lower part of your hand stretched out a bit and held up. Kind of like a "V". This will help prevent him from climbing up your arm.
When he does get to your shoulder try not to grab him. This can be scary. See if you can lean towards his cage to get him to step down or have someone else step him up and give him a treat.
There is a great little game called "Pass the hot birdie" Kind of like pass the hot potato. :) With your baby on your hand have 1-2 other people ask him to step up and give him a treat. Do this back and forth. Keep it to just 2-3 minute sessions as baby has a short attention spend.
Remember to take your time and do not force him to do things he is uncomfortable with. Trust is very important right now. Patience is the key!

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
welcome bex and pics please an yes patience :) as gray said

i so know what you mean about the circuits lmao awww baby days lol

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
I have a green cheek as well. They are amazing birds. If I were in your place I would just let him sit there on your shoulder for a while. Eventually he will want to do something else. He must feel comfortable there which is a good thing and will help you to bond. Maybe sit down in a chair or start chopping veggies or playing with items on the table. My little Gcc wants to be in the middle of everything. He will probably get so curious he will want to come down. When I pick up my kindle and start to read, he will be right on me. "Mom, I want your attention"
He must really like you to stay on your shoulder like that. Good luck.

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
Also I might add, I have a way that works with my Gcc when he doesn't want to leave wherever he is and get on my finger. He likes to sit on the couch back and sometimes does not want to be taken away. I just sort of "sweep him off his feet"......when I ask him to step up and he starts to nip, I flatten my hand (palm down) and make a sweep right up to his chest.....he automatically gets on my hand and he forgets that he didn't want to step up because he is trying to balance during the sweep. He grabs on with beak but not hard. You just have to outthink them sometime. Distraction is the best way. Trying to force them to do something only makes them more determined. They have to think its their idea. LOL I have never been bitten hard during a sweep.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Welcome to the Forum :) We would love to see some pics of Walter!
He will settle in after a couple of days :)

OP
waltersmum

waltersmum

Jun 3, 2012
Brisbane Australia
Thank you folks. He is settling in nicely. He is a lovely sociable little chap! I shall try some of the techniques.
This morning i let him out of his cage. He flew over to me , landed on the floor near to me and climbed up my pyjamas and under my dressing gown! Removing him was a performance he just grabs on and wont let go :)
I wouldn't mind so much it just i dont want a nip!!! When i cant see him i cant see if he is going to nip or not. I don't think his nips are aggressive as he is keen for company. I think he associates hands with food, either that or he is just testing his beak out on everything!!!
I'll post some pictures later. Many thanks for your replies.
What a friendly community
Bex
x

solobaby

Jul 14, 2011
Parrots
Solo(indian ringneck)-Marley(green cheek conure)- Dobby (cockatiel)
welcome and congrats on your new baby

Most Reactions