Newbie thinking about getting a parrot/macaw

shanwebb

Apr 19, 2015
Get a cockatiel. Personalities vary greatly of course, but they are incredible birds, and while still a lot of maintenance, are much easier than a macaw (especially a large macaw). Definitely first bird friendly!

OP
Dtlwheels

Dtlwheels

Dec 8, 2013
Parrots
Turquoise Green Cheeked Conure, CJ; Crimson Bellied Conure, Rossa
One day and this turkey has already learned to lift up his food doors. Gotta find some twist ties

Mysterygirl

Apr 14, 2015
Nor Cal
Parrots
Edgar (Alexandrian), Piper (Indian Ringneck), Eridan (Indian Ringneck)
I just purchased/ adopted an Alexandrian parrot. He is the greatest thing ever!! Can't fathom what took me so long to get another bird. He loves entertaining my entire family.

EccyMom310

Jun 1, 2015
Los Angeles
Parrots
Scarlett - Eclectus Female, approx 6yo
I've had 3 different species of medium sized parrots, and while I loved them all, I have to say my Eclectus is the best parrot ever. Sweet, playful, a great companion bird - she comes when I call her when free in the house, and she can sit quietly on a perch in any room. I would think with your situation, this might be an ideal scenario. Also the size - beak is the smallest of the 3 I've had, and while she's never bitten me, if she did? It wouldn't really register on the pain meter by comparison. She was a perfect angel for some bird owner bird sitters when we were traveling for 2 weeks, quite socialized. She also doesn't tear up wood or furniture, and is mostly quiet. (Comparatively, my Cockatoo tore up a counter top in our bathroom, and screamed so loud our neighbors 3 miles away could hear and complain!) Check out an Eccy! =)

Most Reactions

Latest posts