Newie with a new Goffin

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
What is the obession with trying to drink coffee. I won't let him have it but as soon as I sit down with a cup he goes for it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

They all love it---never let them have it lol (obviously,as you said)...
But our bird growing up could occasionally successfully steal it and we were unaware of how awful it was, even though we didn't give it to her or LET her.
My uncles bird would also try to steal sips of mine as I drank it.
Noodles is very interested too.

I think they must like the flavor. I know they have a poor sense of smell, but I wonder if they can smell it better than most things because it smells so strong.

Sadly, even decaf is not safe because of a chemical in the actual beans.

OP
V

Virgil8320

Aug 8, 2020
Buffalo NY
Parrots
Trigger-Quaker bonded to my wife

Virgil-Goffin adopted 8/3/20
Well if they even smell half of how good fresh coffee smells I can see why they want it so bad! My wife's Quaker is the same way with it as soon as he knows its in the cup off he goes.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
First thing I would say is Goffins are so loveable and very loving to their owners. But they are also naughty and spiteful if they want to be and have no problem flitting from one mood to the other and today breaking all the rules they followed yesterday. It's good to cuddle but it's also good to get him to play independently. Ours still tries to get on the floor and bite the toes of new guests or even ones he's been friendly to for years, once in a while. If he bites fingers or toes don't take it personally! It's often a game and his idea of a bit of fun, more rarely is it a serious attack. Observe carefully which kind it is, and respond appropriately. Oven gloves are a must for scooping up a Goffin from the floor when all else fails. When chasing around the cage, ours still sometimes jumps towards the gloves, suspends himself for a swing before being wrapped up and cuddled and deposited into his home. Toys: for chewing I'd say this: if it can't be shredded, he won't be interested for too long. There's years of trust building ahead of you-enjoy the ride! Finally one more point about touching-sometimes they just want new feather ends to be 'opened' - be careful with new blood feathers - so help him preen and he'll love you forever

LOLing at the "oven gloves." Yup, that too is a toy once scooped!

Goffins can change moods 5 times in 3 minutes!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Well if they even smell half of how good fresh coffee smells I can see why they want it so bad! My wife's Quaker is the same way with it as soon as he knows its in the cup off he goes.

Because he knows it is "contraband!" Though they usually want whatever you are having unless the substance is disliked.

OP
V

Virgil8320

Aug 8, 2020
Buffalo NY
Parrots

Virgil has been coming along very well. One minor biting incident with my son in his foot. He got spooked my a door closing and took off and flew to my son who he scared. He didn't make the landing in my son but rather the floor. As soon as he hit the floor he bit my son's foot. Almost to say next time stand still! He hasn't bitten me or been the least bit aggressive.

I have really been focusing on him and how he acts in certain situations and am getting an idea by his posture how he feels. Still long ways to go but now that I have had him for a few weeks I can't see my life without him.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

They really work their way into your heart! Unlike Amazons, Goffins don't pin their eyes but use the crest and body stance to display emotions. Takes a while to read, but you are well on the way!

derekdylan7

Jun 2, 2020
Media
nr Peterborough, UK.
Parrots
Goffin Cockatoo
Virgil has been coming along very well. One minor biting incident with my son in his foot. He got spooked my a door closing and took off and flew to my son who he scared. He didn't make the landing in my son but rather the floor. As soon as he hit the floor he bit my son's foot. Almost to say next time stand still! He hasn't bitten me or been the least bit aggressive.

I have really been focusing on him and how he acts in certain situations and am getting an idea by his posture how he feels. Still long ways to go but now that I have had him for a few weeks I can't see my life without him.

Our Goffy in full display with bulging eyes, and feathers drawn back to expose a half open beak spells DANGER as my poor brother-in-law found out a couple years back to his cost, but that was a one off thankfully. Even without the swaying display it could spell EVIL, but this mood is easy to spot and the oven gloves are at the ready. As time goes by this is reserved for strangers or rare visitors. Friends and family instead often get the foot behind the head posture which means 'I'm gorgeous, tickle me'. It could be genuine, as it aways is with his owners, but it could also be just a ploy to lure the occasional visitor into a sense of false security before he nips their fingers :yellow2::yellow1::)!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Hi Branden and Virgil!! Sorry,I just saw this thread :rolleyes:

I had adopted Jonesy from a friend five years ago or so. Jonesy was about 28y.o. at the time and my friend had him 24 years. He had to rehome him because Pookie,his U2 didn't get along and Smokey my Timneh Grey had passed away shortly before at 28y.o. and I always had two fids and Amy and I were very sad and lonely.

So Jonesy came along. It took him a few days to get acclimated with his new surroundings. He talked a little bit,readily stepped up and he and Amy became fast friends,often playing together on Amys play top.
When I got the beady-eye'd little so-and-so he wasen't in the best of feather. He had a large bald spot on his chest and his arms and rudder (wings and tail :rolleyes:) were tattered and ratty looking. He would only eat seed. ( my friend didn't know or care about about proper diet or vet checks but i wont get into that :mad:) So after a couple months,and of him watching Amy eating good things,he started to try veggies and fruits. ended up loving banana and grapes..brocoli..corn on the cob etc. After his first molt with me his clothes came in beautifully and he stopped plucking.

As Scott mentioned he loved the floor. He'd hop around like a goofball with his hat high in the air and twirl around,grabbing a toilet paper roll and tossing it about just to run after it and do it again. He never bit my feet though. He'd go to my feet,only to grab my pants leg to climb up ( He didn't fly well at all)
But his mood swings were alarming to say the least. I think something "broke" in his little head :eek: One moment he'd be on my fingers getting head skritches then in a flash without warning he'd latch onto my forarm RIPPING the flesh from it! Blood EVERYWHERE :eek: and then his ear piercing screams ,non-stop,from the moment he woke up until AFTER he went to bed! I had to put his house in the bedroom the farthest away from the livingroom and even being covered he wouldn't stop. It got to the point where he couldn't be trusted anymore and his behavior was having adverse effects on my health and relationship with my THEN girlfriend. I asked all sorts of questions here,and got so much advice from everyone,but to no avail.
I had to rehome him too :eek: He is doing well with his new family,except for his swearing lol..I told TJ his new mom about it and she'll be able to stop it ( You're fn me..you're fn me!) When I asked her some time later if he stopped cussing,she lowered her head and said sheepishly..."Nooooo" :02:

Anyway it sounds like you and Virgil are doing quite well in such a short time! Keep it up!!!!

Jim

OP
V

Virgil8320

Aug 8, 2020
Buffalo NY
Parrots

Hi Jim,

The last two days now I have sat on the floor and let him walk around and he seems totally fine.

yesterday was his vet check and everything looked fine. He had blood drawn and I think it was more traumatic for me then for him!

Does anyone else's cockatoo do the foot on neck while getting head scratches like Virgil does in the photo below ?

virgil8320-albums-virgil-picture22696-virgil3.png
[/IMG]

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Hi Jim,

The last two days now I have sat on the floor and let him walk around and he seems totally fine.

yesterday was his vet check and everything looked fine. He had blood drawn and I think it was more traumatic for me then for him!

Does anyone else's cockatoo do the foot on neck while getting head scratches like Virgil does in the photo below ?

[/IMG]

Yep!! Jonesy did and Amy does lol

Jim

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Hi Jim,

[/IMG]

YES!!! Most of mine do exactly the same. Either in response to my scratching or initiated on their own.

OP
V

Virgil8320

Aug 8, 2020
Buffalo NY
Parrots

So I am finding Virgil doesn't much seem into any toys. I've tried tons of things. Store bought things,made hanging wood blocks,etc etc. Are Goffins just not that into it?

What are some toys you guys use.

He will rip a little Debbie box apart and ant the pieces for hours or flip an empty water bottle.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Most of my Goffins love to chew wood! Some of the buzz saws quickly convert macaw-sized blocks into toothpicks! Others take their time with smaller toys.

Ceri

Aug 6, 2020
Bozeman, MT
Parrots
Jade & Jasper - Meyers - Adopted from Rescue - estimated age is 5 or 6.
Posting a quick reply so I can follow this thread. I am learning soooo much about all your toos!

mica21493

Dec 12, 2019
Eastern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Bebee - Blue and Gold Macaw,
Little Bird - Goffins Cockatoo,
Mica and Daffy, greatly missed
I adopted Little Bird in December and she didn't like toys at first either. Fast forward several months later and she can destroy a wood, macaw sized toy in a matter of days, lol. She started with chewing those mini bird Kabob toys and just moved on from there.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

I adopted Little Bird in December and she didn't like toys at first either. Fast forward several months later and she can destroy a wood, macaw sized toy in a matter of days, lol. She started with chewing those mini bird Kabob toys and just moved on from there.

I purchase a 10' long untreated 2" x 4" and cut into foot long sections. Drill a central hole, hang with stainless steel chain. They immediately attack and destroy in a matter of days. Some go in cycles and chew very little for a short period.

mica21493

Dec 12, 2019
Eastern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Bebee - Blue and Gold Macaw,
Little Bird - Goffins Cockatoo,
Mica and Daffy, greatly missed
I really do need to give that a try! It's hard to keep her entertained when she can destroy things so easily. She doesn't really care for non-destructible toys.

OP
V

Virgil8320

Aug 8, 2020
Buffalo NY
Parrots

I love the 2x4 cut offs for birds to chew on. Such an easy thing to make and pretty cheap too.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

I really do need to give that a try! It's hard to keep her entertained when she can destroy things so easily. She doesn't really care for non-destructible toys.

I love the 2x4 cut offs for birds to chew on. Such an easy thing to make and pretty cheap too.

The local Lowe's used to cut into foot-long strips until a policy change. Home Depot will for nominal charge. (most checkers don't bother to add) Due to covid concerns, I bought a cheap $35 circular saw that should last forever!

Most Reactions

Latest posts