Newly adopted macaw

Joannr24

Apr 26, 2014
I just bought a year old Milligold male macaw today. He is in his cage and quiet and relaxed. I have talked to him a couple times and offered him a grape which he took easily.
I have experience with an umbrella cockatoo and an african grey but not a macaw.
What should be my steps on acclimating this guy?

Thanks!!

Lovebird

Jan 4, 2014
Parrots
Peach Faced Lovebirds- Maxwell and Claire
Dream Bird: U2
Congrats! Looking forward to pics! What will name him? Anyways, make sure to keep him away from your AG and U2 because they produce a powder down. Is he tame? if so make sure to interact with him a lot. i dont know much about them but hopefully someone will pitch in. CONGRATS!!!

OP
J

Joannr24

Apr 26, 2014
How far is away? Right now he's in a different room for isolation but I was hoping they could all be in the living room in their separate areas since that is where we all sit

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Just let him go at his own pace. He sounds like he is doing very good already. Just start to get him into a routine and build trust with food and positive reinforcement over the next few weeks while he's still quarantined.

As for being around your other birds, once he has been checked by the vet/finishes his quarantine he should be fine in the same room UNLESS he suffers allergies to them. My parents 2 amazons have always been housed in the same area as their cockatoo, and never any problems (related to Alfies dander that is!). However, some birds are sensitive to it, so if he starts wheezing or something, there may need to be a better solution, but I wouldn't foresee that becoming an issue.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
You would approach a macaw the same way you would approach your other birds. But just watch out as Macaws are sneaky!!! They'll lower their heads like asking for a pet but they're waiting to strike. I carry a training perch with me during training of a new macaw.

Macaws are known to have allergies towards powder dust from Cockatoos, Greys, and Tiels. A air purifier would be good to have!!!!

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
I have a huge birdroom including 3 Toos and 2 macaws . I bath regularly and do the floors twice a day [I have no problems]. I think your guy would like to be near the other birds when he can .

OP
J

Joannr24

Apr 26, 2014
Great advice on the training perch!! I admit I worry I'll be a little jumpy if he bites which won't help so a training perch is perfect to start with!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I'm so happy for you, Joann!!! :)

I bet he was your last thing on your mind going to sleep and the first thing waking up this morning. :D

How's he doing?

I have a wee small suggestion: I saw you posted a picture of him in your other thread (he's GORGEOUS). May I recommend you replace the dowel with a natural perch (dragonwood for example). Dowels can be pretty tough on bird's tender feet. :)

OP
J

Joannr24

Apr 26, 2014
Thank you for the suggestion. I bought that cage yesterday as a temporary home until I set up his double macaw cage. I never thought about that perch being uncomfortable so thank you for looking out for Toby :)
Yes he was the last and first thing on my mind -- how did you know :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts