Nightmares?

Wingnut

Feb 25, 2016
South Carolina, USA
Parrots
Kiwi The Lovebird
Hey everyone! I recently have added a new family member to my home named Kiwi. Shes an awesome little Lovebird that loves to sit on your shoulder or hide in your shirt, but has a heart attack if you try to touch her with your hand..she’s just...great. Anyways, for the past few nights she has been screaming out randomly in her sleep. I’ve noticed it around 1am in the morning. I do cover her cage every night as that’s what I’ve always done, but is this normal behavior? I’ve never had a bird cry out in the night. I feel like a bad parent that maybe she’s having nightmares of people trying to grab her! D:

eagle18

Banned
Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Missouri
Parrots
I have one Umbrella, a Bare Eye, and two budgies.
Is the room quiet where she sleeps, or are people and other pets moving around? Have you tried leaving the covers off or maybe getting a nightlight for her?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
In this area, my experience is only with the larger Parrots. With them, nightmares and /or nightfrights do occur. To my understanding, the smaller parrots tend to have nightfrights.

As stated above, opening a side or a nightlight can help.

One of the biggest errors that we Humans make is not providing enough contact calls during the day and evening. It is very possible that Kiwi is just confirming that its flock is near by. When our Amazon comments, if we hear it, we contact call back. Life is good, all is well, sleep in peace.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Good thoughts above.
Yeah, I once did an extended babysitting for a cockatiel wayyyyy back in the day. Nothing was more terrifying than the sound of little wings beating against bars. I tried nightlights, no nightlights, covers, no covers, even music...
Then when I got the Rbird, HE did it, too. Again, tried everything I could think of. Awful.
Then, just before we moved up North (he was about 15) he just stopped. No idea why. Maybe just got to a certain age? I wish I could help.
Here's some reading you may find helpful.
https://byrumsbirdrescue.weebly.com/bird-bloggin/cockatiel-night-frights

Most Reactions

Latest posts