Nightmre??..

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
.. Ok I'm sure this is the wrong place to post something like this,so any moderator who reads this and then wants to move it,go right ahead :01:

For the last two years or so now, I get this dream/nightmare once or twice a month.

So,here is my short story..

Amy and Smokey are out of their houses...Mom is in the living room in her recliner watching tv and feeding "snacks" to the fids. ( BTW Mom has been gone about eleven years now..R.I.P. Mom :02:)

She asks me to do a little grocery shopping for her and I agree,so off I go to the local market.
Some time during the time I am gone,Mom gets into a "disagreement" with Smokes :rolleyes: and for "punishment",she throws Smokey out the back door,into the little bush that's by the back door,goes back to her recliner,and promptly falls asleep..

As I get out of the market,it is SNOWING like there is no tomorrow!
I pull into the drive way,and by now,there is four or five inches of white,fluffy **** on the ground.
As I open the trunk, I hear "HELP!! HELP!!" and think to myself,"Geez that sounds like Smokey...nahhh you're crazy Jim:rolleyes:" and open the back door to bring the grub in.
Again, I hear 'HELP!!..HELP!!!",now,I'm not so sure if I am coo-coo or not,and call out "Smokey??"
Then,in a very tiny and frantic little voice, I hear "DADDY!!DADDY!!!HELP ME!!!"

It was like some one hit me in the side of my head with a brick. "SMOKEY!!SMOKEY!! WHERE ARE YOU????!!!"

Again I hear "DADDY HELP ME!!" as I look over to the bush,I see a puff of white fluffy snow going into the air,and a little grey head,bobbing up and down,arms being waved frantically "DADDY!!!!" :eek: as Smokes struggles to get back to the bush!

I immediately scoop her into my hands,ice crystals forming on her clothes,and she is cold and wet and trembling uncontrollably :11:
I hear her say "DADDY!!" once more,as I place her in my wool cap and enter the house,THEN I immediately bolt up in bed,drenched in sweat,my heart pounding so hard,it feels like it is going to come out of my chest!

Every time I have this episode,it unfolds in this exact manner..My Lord..what is WRONG with me???:02: WHY do I have this nightmare??
Do I miss Smokes THAT much?? Or Mom??? :confused:

You all must think I'm whacked in the noggin...maybe I am...this scares me at times...

Jim

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Short answer: Yes, you miss both of them and possible something is unsettled in your life at the point! Or, you need to cut back a can or two prior to going to bed. Or its more likely a combination of the two! I'm going with the latter! :D

* First half of the short answer, is highly likely!!

Invoice For Services: Three Amy Stories in the Amazon Section!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I think you miss them both dearly. You have shared lots of great stories of Smoky. She was quite the character, had a ton of personality and you revere her.

Now my admission. I had a cockatiel named Sam and when she turned 12 I was traveling for work but my travel was flying on Monday and returning Thursday night so I reluctantly rehomed her to a friend of a friend. In a few months she died and a few weeks later I learned she had been abused and killed. I was so broken to learn this. All of this was in 2004 and here I go, crying now. Up until three years ago I have had dreams of her, I have personally carried guilt and felt responsible for her. My husband has helped me in understanding I can only control what I can control. My intentions were good. That "friend of a friend", I reported him to police and he was charged with animal abuse. When the police visited him, he had two animals in his home, one was dead.

My point, do you have any concerns, history, events, etc that are not resolved? Any memories that keep popped no up in your mind? My example is extreme and heavy but sometimes we can have things we personally haven't let go of or resolved internally. And then again it could be as simple that you miss them so much because you enjoyed and loved them so much they are constantly on your mind without even thinking about it because you miss that.

Question, did your mother ever have issues with Smokes? Smokes was an independent character!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

I think you miss them both dearly. You have shared lots of great stories of Smoky. She was quite the character, had a ton of personality and you revere her.

Now my admission. I had a cockatiel named Sam and when she turned 12 I was traveling for work but my travel was flying on Monday and returning Thursday night so I reluctantly rehomed her to a friend of a friend. In a few months she died and a few weeks later I learned she had been abused and killed. I was so broken to learn this. All of this was in 2004 and here I go, crying now. Up until three years ago I have had dreams of her, I have personally carried guilt and felt responsible for her. My husband has helped me in understanding I can only control what I can control. My intentions were good. That "friend of a friend", I reported him to police and he was charged with animal abuse. When the police visited him, he had two animals in his home, one was dead.

My point, do you have any concerns, history, events, etc that are not resolved? Any memories that keep popped no up in your mind? My example is extreme and heavy but sometimes we can have things we personally haven't let go of or resolved internally. And then again it could be as simple that you miss them so much because you enjoyed and loved them so much they are constantly on your mind without even thinking about it because you miss that.

Question, did your mother ever have issues with Smokes? Smokes was an independent character!

No Trace...no issues at all...Mom was one of the very few people Smokey would go to.
After I got divorced,Smokey and I moved in with Mom..Mom had retired ( Dad passed away when I was 12) and at the time,I was an over-the-road trucker,being out some times weeks at a time. Mom suggested that why should I get my own place,when I would hardly be there anyway...and I could do "man" stuff at the house ( mowing lawn,blowing snow..fix this and that)..and who would take care of SMOKES???
So it was a win/win situation :)
And MOM was actually the one who got Smokey talking..."How are you??" were Smokeys' very first words..and with mom being home a lot,Smokes and Amy were out of their houses ALOT!

Smokey and Mom really did love each other :eek:

Jim

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Short Or, you need to cut back a can or two prior to going to bed. Or its more likely a combination of the two! I'm going with the latter! :D

* First half of the short answer, is highly likely!!

Invoice For Services: Three Amy Stories in the Amazon Section!!!

Just cause I hit the button twice - that's why I double Posted!

LOL...hey now,Steve!! :D

Jim

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986

No Trace...no issues at all...Mom was one of the very few people Smokey would go to.
After I got divorced,Smokey and I moved in with Mom..Mom had retired ( Dad passed away when I was 12) and at the time,I was an over-the-road trucker,being out some times weeks at a time. Mom suggested that why should I get my own place,when I would hardly be there anyway...and I could do "man" stuff at the house ( mowing lawn,blowing snow..fix this and that)..and who would take care of SMOKES???
And MOM was actually the one who got Smokey talking..."How are you??" were Smokeys' very first words..and with mom being home a lot,Smokes and Amy were out of their houses ALOT!

Jim

I think you really miss them ALOT!!! Dreams can be funky. I share crazy dreams I've had with my husband and we laugh at a lot of them. Smokes was a character for sure. She carries her own spotlight, lol!!! Like her knocking on your roommates door, lol!!!!

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Jim

I think you really miss them ALOT!!! Dreams can be funky. I share crazy dreams I've had with my husband and we laugh at a lot of them. Smokes was a character for sure. She carries her own spotlight, lol!!! Like her knocking on your roommates door, lol!!!!

LOL...yes...knocking on Marianns' door IS a classic!

And BTW...I am sooooooo sorry to read about your little 'tiel!! :02: That "man" deserves to be hung by his......TOE NAILS!!! :eek: :mad: :mad:

Jim

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
SailBoat said:
LOL...hey now,Steve!! :D

Jim

Hey now, Jim!! :D LOL

You should be around on dream night at my house. A full family of Amazons!!! It can get busy and crazy!!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Wow Jim, that is quite a dream, er, nightmare. I would agree with the other posts suggesting you love and miss them both very much.

The dreams are quite frequent! Do you wish to continue having them, or prefer to have it end? If the latter, might want to do some research online about ways to short-circuit them. Maybe something along the lines of writing something positive about Mom and Smokey and reading it just before going to bed. Sort of like a positive affirmation. Dunno if it would help?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Jim, dont read too into dreams. I wake up sometimes from a bad dream and will be actively cursing the French, my sons, Geri, my ex wife, you name it.. LOL, Geri hates when I have those type or dreams, because I literally wake up obviously highly agitated and soundly cursing them out. She know when I wake up, thase f...ing *******
( the ****** being just about anyone or thing - except Salty) . She'll remind me it was a dream, which I recount to her, and by the time I'm done we both laugh how stupid it was.. But woebetide is the object would be right there.. you might be reading about it in the obit section!

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Wow Jim, that is quite a dream, er, nightmare. I would agree with the other posts suggesting you love and miss them both very much.

The dreams are quite frequent! Do you wish to continue having them, or prefer to have it end? If the latter, might want to do some research online about ways to short-circuit them. Maybe something along the lines of writing something positive about Mom and Smokey and reading it just before going to bed. Sort of like a positive affirmation. Dunno if it would help?

The dream/mare seems to last allllll night,but in actuality,it is only a few minutes.
It wouldn't be a "bad" dreammare Scott,if it weren't for the sweats and pounding heart thing :eek: ( twenty years ago I had double by-pass,and would like to keep the 'ol "ticker" at an even keel, if yanno what I mean? ;) and I get to "hold" my little grey girl again,once more,AND MOM! :D

Jim

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
I do think dreams are interesting - they seem to be a way for the brain to work things out, and it can take time. Don't think I'm nuts, but here's why I think that:

Ever since childhood I had occasional nightmares where a man was chasing me. I woul run, hide, go through a long complex series of getting away, and just when I thought I had escaped he would spring up, almost catching me. Sometimes I would wake up just before I thought I was going to be killed. The dreams became less frequent as time went on, but never changed significantly.

Then about ten years ago, I had the dream again. Being pursued, unable to quite get away. I found myself trapped in the end of a narrow hallway, against a door, and he caught me. I knew that it was Death chasing me, not a person. Instead of waking up in fear, I stopped running. Turned around, faced him, and said what do you want? Death just pointed at the door. I gave in, opened the door and walked through it. It closed behind me.

I found myself in a wide deserted street. All around me were fenced yards and domes. I realized that each dome represented a life, a world, an incarnation. I thought, I can pick the one I want and go back in, have a new life. Instead I waited. I thought, I don't have to rush back into life. I can stay out here, even though I'm alone and don't know what place this is, stay and see just where I am before I go back. I walked down the street, out of the town of domes, and woke up.

I never had that dream again.

I speculate about what it means. I think it just took me forty years to get to a place where I had enough strength, wisdom, experience, whatever to be able to face the scary thing and just ask what it wanted. It was about me dropping my assumption that the thing chasing me wanted to hurt me. And when I did face it and ask, I was liberated into a very different world, one where I had the power to choose where I would go and when I would go there.

It was an appropriate dream and outcome for where I was in life, living with family and recovering from a divorce. There was something, I don't know what and may never know, maybe it was just a neurotransmitter imbalance, that was causing me emotional distress and eventually I got to a place in life where the mind figured it out and moved on.

For your dream to go on as long as it has, in such repetitive detail, it might be something similar. If you didn't have a dream like that before you lost Smokey, that tells you something. I think you will keep having the dream as long as you are processing something on a subconscious level. You may not have access to it with your conscious mind, but somewhere deep in your memories is a thought, a belief, a fear, a question. You might never be able to figure it out, and the dreams might simply fade with time, or you might one day have enough information to sort it out. Dreams come from a part of the brain we can't reach with our waking, thinking minds and we can't understand them fully unless the subconscious takes part in the process. I wish I could give you some specific advice about your bad dreams, but only you can work it through. One day it will happen.

I was keeping a dream journal at the time. When I woke, I would write down as much of my dreams as I could remember. Maybe that strengthened the connection in my mind, so that I could act with more volition in my dream? Your dream means something, and one day you will understand what that is, but it won't be because anyone explained it to you. It will be because of something that changed in you, some understanding or realization or lesson learned, some buried memory snapped closer to the light.

For me, asking became a powerful tool. I stopped one day while out on a walk, grieving, and asked my grief - why are you still here? What are you trying to teach me? And I got an answer that made sense to me. I thanked my grief, and asked if there was anything else it wanted from me. It said no, so I told it that I understood, that I got it, and asked if it would leave me. I felt immediately lighter and brighter, and that was the turning point back to happiness for me.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I have had a number of reoccurring dreams but most of them have had nothing to do with birds.
The closest thing I have had to a reoccurring dream with parrots Has me in the small back yard of an apartment I lived in when in Jr High school.
In this dream I have macaws and amazon parrots flying to me, landing on the fence and on my shoulders all happy to be around me.
I can only guess this has something to do with the fact that Lucky my first cockatiel flew to me at my place of work back in 2001/2002.
I think birds like me (and I know I like them).
I did once have a reoccurring dream that came true. Not exactly but very closely.
Had a dream of driving home from work and going blind at a particular portion of my drive.
I did not "go blind" but I did have a very serious accident on my way home at the exact place that I went blind in my dream. Dream went away after accident.
texsize

janquito

Aug 10, 2016
Wisconsin
Parrots
Two green cheek conures, one sun conure, and two quakers.
I do think dreams are interesting - they seem to be a way for the brain to work things out, and it can take time. Don't think I'm nuts, but here's why I think that:

Ever since childhood I had occasional nightmares where a man was chasing me. I woul run, hide, go through a long complex series of getting away, and just when I thought I had escaped he would spring up, almost catching me. Sometimes I would wake up just before I thought I was going to be killed. The dreams became less frequent as time went on, but never changed significantly.

Then about ten years ago, I had the dream again. Being pursued, unable to quite get away. I found myself trapped in the end of a narrow hallway, against a door, and he caught me. I knew that it was Death chasing me, not a person. Instead of waking up in fear, I stopped running. Turned around, faced him, and said what do you want? Death just pointed at the door. I gave in, opened the door and walked through it. It closed behind me.

I found myself in a wide deserted street. All around me were fenced yards and domes. I realized that each dome represented a life, a world, an incarnation. I thought, I can pick the one I want and go back in, have a new life. Instead I waited. I thought, I don't have to rush back into life. I can stay out here, even though I'm alone and don't know what place this is, stay and see just where I am before I go back. I walked down the street, out of the town of domes, and woke up.

I never had that dream again.

I speculate about what it means. I think it just took me forty years to get to a place where I had enough strength, wisdom, experience, whatever to be able to face the scary thing and just ask what it wanted. It was about me dropping my assumption that the thing chasing me wanted to hurt me. And when I did face it and ask, I was liberated into a very different world, one where I had the power to choose where I would go and when I would go there.

It was an appropriate dream and outcome for where I was in life, living with family and recovering from a divorce. There was something, I don't know what and may never know, maybe it was just a neurotransmitter imbalance, that was causing me emotional distress and eventually I got to a place in life where the mind figured it out and moved on.

For your dream to go on as long as it has, in such repetitive detail, it might be something similar. If you didn't have a dream like that before you lost Smokey, that tells you something. I think you will keep having the dream as long as you are processing something on a subconscious level. You may not have access to it with your conscious mind, but somewhere deep in your memories is a thought, a belief, a fear, a question. You might never be able to figure it out, and the dreams might simply fade with time, or you might one day have enough information to sort it out. Dreams come from a part of the brain we can't reach with our waking, thinking minds and we can't understand them fully unless the subconscious takes part in the process. I wish I could give you some specific advice about your bad dreams, but only you can work it through. One day it will happen.

I was keeping a dream journal at the time. When I woke, I would write down as much of my dreams as I could remember. Maybe that strengthened the connection in my mind, so that I could act with more volition in my dream? Your dream means something, and one day you will understand what that is, but it won't be because anyone explained it to you. It will be because of something that changed in you, some understanding or realization or lesson learned, some buried memory snapped closer to the light.

For me, asking became a powerful tool. I stopped one day while out on a walk, grieving, and asked my grief - why are you still here? What are you trying to teach me? And I got an answer that made sense to me. I thanked my grief, and asked if there was anything else it wanted from me. It said no, so I told it that I understood, that I got it, and asked if it would leave me. I felt immediately lighter and brighter, and that was the turning point back to happiness for me.
My youngest son, years ago when he was small, said, "I know why God gave us dreams. It's so we have something to do while we sleep".
I've had one recurring dream eons ago-when I was around 10ish yrs old-which included my mom chasing me with a gun! She'd be laughing, saying it won't hurt. I'd be running away through a couple different towns in our area. This went on for about a week. My sister had to hold my hand in order for me to go to sleep each night during those dreams. I don't know what happened to make the dream stop or why I had it in the first place.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I like your whole take on that, Kentuckienne.
I more or less followed that path in determining that my main recurrent nightmare about the Rbird (with whom I identify) getting lost in a huge flock of Patagonians is based on my ongoing artist/adolescent-angst about being lost in the crowd, not noteworthy, not talented enough, not noticeable enough.

Most Reactions