Nighty Frighties

OP
C

Cressy

Sep 2, 2013
California Born & Raised
Parrots
One Cockatiel, Aska <3
"Muchas gracias POR las respuestas" LOL :) Spanish test coming up?

Try and get him interested in toys. Sorry if I'm being over cautious but I had a love bird that started like that and then had a bold spot. :( Long story with a happy ending. :)

As I said, no worries. I personally like my birds flighted. I was just usually given clipped parrots so I thought it might be why they seemed to warm up to me (mind you they were typically young). I think it was more of a " I need you for now so you're ok... for now" situation and then they'd later learn "this servant is kind of handy, I'll keep you around human". :) Yeah, I'm weird.

Por?! :eek: Three years of spanish later and I still get por and para mixed up :rolleyes:

Aw, as long as there's a happy ending! How can I get him interested in toys? I mean, when I put something in he sort of ignores it. Should I just keep trying more toys until he's like "dang i gotta play with that"? Literally the thing he likes the most in his cage right now is the cardboard I used to block off the seeds from spilling. :rolleyes: He keeps chewing on it!

Blah! My boy is capable of flight, so I'm afraid the moment I take him out he'll be like "adios, muchacha" and just flutter around everywhere! I mean, he already figured out how to open the doors on his cage?! Literally the night i brought him home, he figured out how to get it open, and in a moment of panic, I tied it shut with some string. So sometimes he sits and tries to untie the string.

MikeyTN said:
I've been leaving on night light for ALL my birds for many years now. Some birds, especially Cockatiels have the tendency to get night fright. Even with a cover they can be spooked!!!! All it take is a headlight through the window to set them off which you had the cage place near by the window. With covers on, IF you made any noise while they are covered, they can freak out from that. But by having a night light on they can see what's going on and less likely to freak out. I've been raising tiels for years, trust me to go with a night light.

Hm, so do you recommend that I cover up the cage with something opaque or transparent? If I cover the whole cage, how would the light help? Especially if the light won't seep through the opaque sheet? But I'll go get a night light some time soon - for now, i'm just gonna have to wing it (haha, get it?! cause birds :yellow1:) and use my laptop as light.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I no longer cover cages and leave on a night light instead. Don't you own a lamp of some sort?? Just get a low light bulb as it would work just fine!

Sammy01

Aug 30, 2013
Parrots
Milo: White Fronted Amazon
Sex: Male
approx hatch date: May 2013
I can see why. I worked as a translator and I sometimes get my Spanish a bit mixed up (don't tell anyone ;) )

If he's interested in the cardboard try making a toy for him out of cardboard. When I make toys for my birds I like to make them according to what they like. You know he likes chewing cardboard go from there. :)

I don't think there's a bird out there that hasn't figured out the sliding doors. Does your cage have them? I typically use twice-ties for Milo. I've found he now does it as a game or he unties them to get to the female amazon. I was given budgies that were like that - I used millet to get them to come to me. I first started by just giving a 1/8 of a stick through the bar, then when they were out I'd offer the whole stick. They quickly learned I wasn't so bad. ;)

ETA: for now just go with covering the cage completely with an opaque cover. You'll need to get a nightlight ASAP. If you have an extension cord then hook the night light up to it and cover it with something transparent and that won't burn because of the bulb. Put the night light under the covers. My boyfriend eventually made my night light for my budgies and it was a dim led light within the cage. He also made their final cage. The mansion as we liked to call it. :)

Last edited:
OP
C

Cressy

Sep 2, 2013
California Born & Raised
Parrots
One Cockatiel, Aska <3
I no longer cover cages and leave on a night light instead. Don't you own a lamp of some sort?? Just get a low light bulb as it would work just fine!

Ohh, yes! But I'm afraid that the light is too strong, unless that's not an issue, then I wouldn't mind leaving it on for him. Maybe I could just cover it up with a piece of paper to dull the light lol

Sammy01 said:
I can see why. I worked as a translator and I sometimes get my Spanish a bit mixed up (don't tell anyone ;) )

If he's interested in the cardboard try making a toy for him out of cardboard. When I make toys for my birds I like to make them according to what they like. You know he likes chewing cardboard go from there. :)

I don't think there's a bird out there that hasn't figured out the sliding doors. Does your cage have them? I typically use twice-ties for Milo. I've found he now does it as a game or he unties them to get to the female amazon. I was given budgies that were like that - I used millet to get them to come to me. I first started by just giving a 1/8 of a stick through the bar, then when they were out I'd offer the whole stick. They quickly learned I wasn't so bad. ;)

Thats genius!! I'll make some cardboard toys, it's time to let my creative side shine.

Yeah, my cage doors slide really easily too lol. One door is locked with a carabiner and he always opens it a little bit, and shoves his face into the small opening. I feel bad for him but it's so cute lol. My birdy doesn't seem to be particularly interested in millet though! :confused: I add pieces of it to his food, and he pecks at the sprig i put in his cage occasionally, but he doesn't eat it any more than he chows down the seeds.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
No the light wouldn't be too strong. IF you want to, you can cover the side of the cage towards the light to give him some shade if your worrying about him not sleeping. They sleep fine in the light. I use cloth pins to attach towels on the sides of cages. Get the plastic cloth pins if you can find them, don't get the wooden cheap ones, they don't work well!!! Or those strong metal clamps that you use to clamp papers with, they work well for that purpose too!

Sammy01

Aug 30, 2013
Parrots
Be careful about him sticking his head out. He could get injured.

Sounds like my boyfriend's cockatiel. Maybe someone on here knows the name of this egg food that cockatiels love. It's got oats (I think) and other bits of food like egg. It reminds me of turkey stuffing for some reason and you then add warm/hot water to it. Roll it in a ball and serve. I know even his conure loves it. I'll try and find out the name of it. In the mean time, why not try finding out what his favorite seed is? I make my own seed mixes too lol. I figure what they eat the most of and then make their mix. I'd reserve their favorite seed to my hand. That's how I got wild pigeons to eat out of my hand (another long story - don't recommend it if you have other birds).

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I've used twist ties too but yes some birds figure out how to untie them. So I started using dog leash clamps. I wouldn't advice using it for larger parrots as they learn to pop those off easily, I use pad locks on the bigger parrots instead....lol

OP
C

Cressy

Sep 2, 2013
California Born & Raised
Parrots
One Cockatiel, Aska <3
No the light wouldn't be too strong. IF you want to, you can cover the side of the cage towards the light to give him some shade if your worrying about him not sleeping. They sleep fine in the light. I use cloth pins to attach towels on the sides of cages. Get the plastic cloth pins if you can find them, don't get the wooden cheap ones, they don't work well!!! Or those strong metal clamps that you use to clamp papers with, they work well for that purpose too!

Oh okay thats good! Now i have to go search around the house for clothes pins or paper holders lol Thank you very much! Hopefully tonight he can have a good, stressless night of sleep :)

Sammy01

Aug 30, 2013
Parrots
I've used twist ties too but yes some birds figure out how to untie them. So I started using dog leash clamps. I wouldn't advice using it for larger parrots as they learn to pop those off easily, I use pad locks on the bigger parrots instead....lol

Padlock for bigger parrots? Try love birds. I felt like a jailer with those guys. They even learned how to open their nesting box and fly out. The good news is they loved their possessions so much if you touched their cage in front of them (especially nest - or dared to touch the inside of it and mess the newspaper up) they'd fly back. They'd immediately fly back to it and make sure everything was ok.

OP
C

Cressy

Sep 2, 2013
California Born & Raised
Parrots
One Cockatiel, Aska <3

Sounds like my boyfriend's cockatiel. Maybe someone on here knows the name of this egg food that cockatiels love. It's got oats (I think) and other bits of food like egg. It reminds me of turkey stuffing for some reason and you then add warm/hot water to it. Roll it in a ball and serve. I know even his conure loves it. I'll try and find out the name of it. In the mean time, why not try finding out what his favorite seed is? I make my own seed mixes too lol. I figure what they eat the most of and then make their mix. I'd reserve their favorite seed to my hand. That's how I got wild pigeons to eat out of my hand (another long story - don't recommend it if you have other birds).

I'll be sure to be mindful of that! I'll take the carabiner off & tie it until i can find another alternative lol

I'll try to take a good look at what he likes! I think he actually really likes what he has now - he literally eats it all day, he just sits at his food bowl and eats it all day. I'm scared he's going to get fat since he's not getting too much exercise at the moment lol

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots

Padlock for bigger parrots? Try love birds. I felt like a jailer with those guys. They even learned how to open their nesting box and fly out. The good news is they loved their possessions so much if you touched their cage in front of them (especially nest - or dared to touch the inside of it and mess the newspaper up) they'd fly back. They'd immediately fly back to it and make sure everything was ok.

When I used to raise Lovebirds years back, none of them ever try to escape out of their cage nor wanted to come out. Except the babies I've handfed, they can't wait to come out to fly around and cause trouble....lol

Sammy01

Aug 30, 2013
Parrots

When I used to raise Lovebirds years back, none of them ever try to escape out of their cage nor wanted to come out. Except the babies I've handfed, they can't wait to come out to fly around and cause trouble....lol

LOL that may explain my trouble makers. They were hand fed. I remember the breeder told me how sweet they were and introduced me to their parents. Everything seemed fine until one became insanely jealous and would no longer let us do anything with the other love bird. She wanted all the attention. She hated my budgies and parrotlet too. :(

Sammy01

Aug 30, 2013
Parrots

I'll be sure to be mindful of that! I'll take the carabiner off & tie it until i can find another alternative lol

I'll try to take a good look at what he likes! I think he actually really likes what he has now - he literally eats it all day, he just sits at his food bowl and eats it all day. I'm scared he's going to get fat since he's not getting too much exercise at the moment lol

Yes, but they typically have one seed they really like. That's the one I take out in my mixes in the beginning so they come to my hand for it. If that doesn't work then try different fruits and veggies.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I didn't read all of the posts... but I hope this link as well as videos will be of help! (may consider sharing them?)

http://www.parrotforums.com/general-health-care/23367-converting-parrots-healthier-diet-tips.html

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg-G7eQ5iwY]Casey's Trouble - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vgtWyZvgd0]Troubles Rewarded - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q88bN30qOjo]Sunshine in the Morning - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9w9w8nMRmw]Hesitant Faye - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH9ZWxhCSAE]Not So Hesitant Faye - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc1FKcVIPK4]Casey the tiel getting scritches - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjKmHswgiHs]Cockatiel Feeding - April 24th - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8yp2rVRuXw]Happy Foot - The one legged Cockatiel - YouTube[/ame]

FeathersandDrums

Sep 17, 2013
Missouri
Parrots
3 Budgies- Whimsy, Owl, & Waker
1 Rosie Bourke Parakeet- Birkenstock (Birkie)
Would a very dim night light that fades very gradually between soothing colors be ok?

Monica are those videos yours? Where did you get the hanging sphere perch? That is amazing:)

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Would a very dim night light that fades very gradually between soothing colors be ok?

Monica are those videos yours? Where did you get the hanging sphere perch? That is amazing:)

That would work as long as they can see you, always make a light noise before you enter the room where they're being kept even when the lights are on, when they roost they spook easily. But once they hear you coming in and with the light on they can see you and won't be spooked. They spook from fire alarms too, I find if you keep dusty birds such as Cockatiels, Cockatoos, and Greys. Don't set their cage too close to a fire detector cause the dust sets them off easily. And that really freaks Cockatiels out big time, although my Malachai likes the fire alarm cause he tries to screech just like the alarm, while it beeps, he beeps back at it....lol....My partner was cooking steak the other day and the smoke got into the bird room setting off the alarm when I found like he likes it...crazy bird....

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
My cockatiel is new & still scared, so I'm trying not to stress him out. But today, for the second time, my grandmother moved his cage, right after his night fright. I am so turnt up right now. He is so visibly scared and terrified and his crest has been straight up since I got home. I have no idea what to do. She doesn't really understand how to handle animals, but she insists on doing things her way anyway. Ugh I'm so mad. :mad::mad::mad:

Same with me , my parants are not bird people , let alone animal people . They honestly have NO clue what they are doing and how it affects my fids . My mom almost sprayed air freshner a FEET away from the cage . You have no idea how I reacted . She says that " there animals , stuff like this happens in the wild " I showed her HUNDREDS of articles on air chemicals and how they could kill avian species . But alas ,my parants just think I'm a dumb 12 year old that doesn't know anything on parrots lol . Though I really want to move them in my room so I could have more control on their surroundings . Sorry for the rant

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013

Yes, those videos are mine! Except Happy Foot, in the last video, isn't my bird! But oh gosh, I was *so* tempted to take him! He's such a sweet and loving bird, even if he only has one foot!

The hanging sphere perch is a "hoop ball". It's made out of hula hoops, poly rope, some PVC joint connectors, screws, maybe some glue and metal eye hooks. Charlie's foster parents made it for him but he never really cared for it... so my little birds ended up using it the most! But then I moved and had no place to hang it.... so I gave it away.

Here's a couple of other images for it

AT02.jpg

AT01.jpg

People have stolen the idea of the Hoopball and created ones like the Atom Ball or some other similar idea... so if you didn't want to make it, you could always buy one instead. They are also made with PVC, the clear PVC and other items so they do come in different sizes!

Here's an older thread on how to make one, although most of the images are missing!
http://www.parrotforums.com/do-yourself/1002-hoop-ball.html

And this website has some other designs/ideas on how to make one.
CPTT...toy index

Most Reactions

Latest posts