No noise

Benfurny

Feb 9, 2024
Parrots
Male Indian ringneck
So we've had our male IRN for 4 weeks now and he hasn't even squaked yet, not even a tiny noise, is that normal? He's still very nervous aswell when anybody enters the room, always flys around the cage when we go near too. Is it OK that he's still so nervous after a month? Thought he might of settled a bit by now

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Ringnecks can take awhile to tame. Several months in many instances. Depends on the bird, how he was raised and what he;s been exposed to. Please, take as much time as he needs. Parrots rate of acceptance of change is glacial, especially compared to our quick monkey brains. Proceed at his pace of acceptance and not the rate of your expectations. Parrot ownership is a marathon, not a sprint. He is going to (hopefully) be with you for many years, so its important to get the first few months. years right. Try to have a positive interaction with him at least once a day, even if its a walkby with a friendly few words. He has to learn that 'only good things come from humans' (thanks 'Boats for those words!).

OP
B

Benfurny

Feb 9, 2024
Parrots
Male Indian ringneck
Ringnecks can take awhile to tame. Several months in many instances. Depends on the bird, how he was raised and what he;s been exposed to. Please, take as much time as he needs. Parrots rate of acceptance of change is glacial, especially compared to our quick monkey brains. Proceed at his pace of acceptance and not the rate of your expectations. Parrot ownership is a marathon, not a sprint. He is going to (hopefully) be with you for many years, so its important to get the first few months. years right. Try to have a positive interaction with him at least once a day, even if its a walkby with a friendly few words. He has to learn that 'only good things come from humans' (thanks 'Boats for those words!).
Thanks for the reply, I'm unsure if I should let him out of the cage in case he is too startled and ends up flying into a wall or something ? He's eating well and enjoys the chunk of apple I give him each morning along with his seed.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I would wait on letting him out of the cage. Aside from hitting walls, windows and mirrors, the trauma of you chasing him and trying to catch him to return him to the cage way off sets any benefit from letting him out. Chasing him and toweling him - big trust breaking actions. Talking nice and giving him a pc of fruit everytime you pass by = BIG trust building actions. Always gauge your actions by that - Does this build or bust TRUST?
As friend Hiriki says 'Parrots trust is hard to gain, easy to lose'.
jOJWo0QjkC5e4fiWukCAe-2-OoOxzrlXy6X8L-BtbH40VXKFksZKABVL-SpquRE6Mv_Rm2YTVwken0O7NxFiLPHdnDwOrymn-J8hw3rgdh7HQrN6

Most Reactions

Latest posts