No text boxes to reply/PM?

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
On my computer today I noticed that the text boxes for 'quick reply' 'advanced reply' and the PM messaging(though title box is still there) are gone. Meaning I can't send anything or reply to any posts.

I'm posting this from my phone. On my desktop I use Firefox as a browser, and Java as my flash player. Does anyone know what could be causing it? It's sort of frustrating to read everything on my desktop then move to my phone if I want to communicate beyond 'thanking' posts. :(

Thanks in advance. (And here I thought *I* was computer savvy...)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I still have the same options available, so I am not sure why you can't see it. I use Chrome on my desktop, and am not having any issues so I am wondering if it is a glitch with Firefox?
Is anyone else having this problem?

OP
Sterling1113

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
That doesn't seem to be the only issue- some other websites are acting finnicky. Nothing too noticeable, just a little different. I'm going to do a sweep with my anti virus and see if maybe I picked up something that could cause it?

OP
Sterling1113

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Have you tried a different browser to test if it's just in FF?

Just loaded up IE and it seems to be working fine. Thanks for that suggestion, for some reason it didn't cross my mind. :confused:
Still gonna see if I can't fix the problem in FF though. At least now I have a back-up hah.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
If you use an app called Tapatalk it makes browsing the forum much easier than in browser.

Ignore, I just reread and you are having problems from the computer not phone... Oops!

OP
Sterling1113

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Before you try much fixing try a Re-boot, I had the same problem last week

Joe

Yeah, that's what I thought. I re-booted my computer before posting the thread. It's only FireFox though, I can use IE just fine. I ran my anti virus software but that didn't help. Guess I'll just have to use IE for PF for now. :confused:

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Southeastern PA (15 miles west of Philly in a smal
Parrots
HI Fellow Parrot Lovers! Baby Green Wing Macaw, Loving Departed Yellow-naped Amazon "Poe"
Sounds like an "Un-install, rebbot, Re-install?

Or, maybe a system rerstore to an earlier time (when was the last time it worked)

Don't feel bad my FF stopped working also, I use the "Sea Monkey" suite because I like the mail client (Made by same people, Mozilla)

The Mozilla project made the original "Netscape navigator" that we used for MANY Years, Sea Monkey is just like that

The SeaMonkey® Project

Joe

OP
Sterling1113

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Possibly. Not sure if I want to go through all that just for a browser lol. I'm painfully lazy. I'll try the un-install and re-install later tonight though and see how that goes.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Hey, Ash. You've gotten better high-tech solutions already than you'd ever have gotten from me. But here's a possible low-tech answer. I was having a similar situation around 3 weeks ago and ended up switching back and forth between my laptop and tablet.

And then I had my AH-HA! moment.

I'd somehow accidentally touched the hide tab, which so inconveniently tucked away my reply box. :eek:

Embarrassing, but sadly, true. I'm no Joe when it comes to technological savvy. Lol! Hope that helps. Otherwise, reboot, reinstall, reset and revamp away! ;)

OP
Sterling1113

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Monica: I'm using a free software called SuperAntiSpyware.

Stephen: I didn't even know there was a "hide" tab... nor am I able to find it.. so if I did click it, I'd be pretty impressed with myself.

I'll try the restoring settings after the boyfriend gets home, I'm really paranoid when it comes to downloading anything. So I have him look at it for me so I don't accidentally download something I don't need hehe. :eek:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
If you made the mistake that I did, you'll still see that black strip near the bottom of your screen with the words "Quick Reply". There just won't be a box underneath where you can actually type your response. If you do see this, it'll just be a simple matter of clicking the minuscule arrow on the strip's right side aaaaand... BOOYAH! There's your reply box.

OP
Sterling1113

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Yeah, there's no arrow there. :(
Oh well. PF isn't the only thing acting up with FireFox though, I'll get more into it later if I remember lol.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I can't find a way to hide the quick reply box.

Starling, I am not familiar with that antivirus. I am however more familiar with Malwarebytes and Kaspersky. Malwarebytes has a free version you can download and Kaspersky does offer a 30 day trial.

Malwarebytes | Free Anti-Malware & Internet Security Software

I use Kaspersky Antivirus at home (if you download it, just skip the activation code for the free trial)
Software Upgrades

Although as an alternative, you can get their security scan program
Free Internet Security Scan | Kaspersky Lab US

I'm suspecting it may be an issue with Firefox rather than a virus, unless other weird things happen.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots

The quick reply box has a black stripe across the top with a really tiny arrow on the right.

OP
Sterling1113

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas

The quick reply box has a black stripe across the top with a really tiny arrow on the right.

Are you sure you're not talking about the "Lower Navigation" box under the "Post Reply" button? :confused:
Or maybe you see the page differently because of your tablet/browser/whatever you're using for PF. :eek:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I had to resize my screen to find it, since the screen is three times the size of the quick reply box, but I found it! :D (I was only looking at the reply box, not the heading to the area!)

Thanks Anansi! I've included pictures showing where the arrow is.

QuickReply.png

QuickReplyHide.png

Most Reactions