"Noisy" bird, complaining roommate, soundproof foam panels?

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
Ok, I'm going to spout a load of theory at you and them make a couple of practical suggestions - feel free to skip to the end but I wanted to try to qualify how sound 'proofing' (studio designers hate the term by the way - it's generally called isolation) works in a recording studio. As a background I've designed and built a studio from the ground up before as well as tutoring recording techniques in studio environments.

When soundwaves hit the wall of a room, they both go through the wall and they reflect off it. Soundwaves lose energy as they pass from one material to another, and high frequency soundwaves lose energy far quicker than low frequency. Once sound enters an element it travels along it. Sound, like water, leaks through any gaps it can find so you won't be able to stop sound getting through unless all weak spots are treated.

If you want to prevent sound passing through a wall, you need to add mass to reduce the energy of the sound as it hits the wall, and you can also reduce it by passing it through multiple different elements. A typical recording studio wall starts by coating the wall in thick, acoustically rated fibreglass insulation, then there's an air gap, then more insulation and finally a plasterboard inner face. This air gap typically goes through all walls and connects to an air gap in the ceiling, creating a room inside the original room where there little to no contact between the two structures - this is referred to as decoupling. The floor is usually also decoupled via rubber or neoprene sheeting.

However, when you see foam on the walls of a studio (or more commonly in professional studios fabric covered boxes containing fibreglass referred to as bass traps), what they are doing is a little different. These types of treatment are designed not to to reduce volume (although they do to an extent) but to control the sound as it reflects around the room. The problem with a room that echos is twofold: that it that the room colours the sound so it's hard to judge how the music being worked on will sound in other environments, and that the perceived sound will be different even at different points in the room due to the way echos disperse in the room and due to standing waves. The type of material is very important in controlling reflections, as it takes a lot more to stop a low frequency soundwave than it does a high frequency one:. Foam and egg cartons are generally good for high frequencies down to about the frequency range of the human voice and professional bass traps go a lot lower. Obviously in reducing reflections in a room the overall volume coming out of that room drops a bit too so they do contribute a bit to reducing the sound leaking elsewhere.

Ok, so a couple of things you can try.

Firstly, anything you can do to tackle the problem at source is a great starting point, so I would take on board people's comments about covering the cage! Moving the cage to the opposite side of the wall will make a small difference as well.

Secondly, look for weak spots: is the thin wall definitely the problem? Are there any air vents on either wall? What about the door: any gap underneath? Remember if you can hear your bird clearly in the hallway then sound could be getting in to his room that way as well, and gaps under doors are a common problem.

Thirdly, an alternative to foam or egg cartons is to buy a large heavy rug and hang it in front of the joining wall so there is an air gap of a couple of inches behind it. The rug will dampen high frequencies but also because any soundwaves are passing through rug to air to wall, you have an extra element to attack those reflections. Sound will still get round the sides of the rug but you'll take out a lot of reflections within the room and hey, it looks a lot nicer than a bunch of egg cartons too. You could potentially hang something above the cage as well. In general, have a think about how reflective the room is: is it carpeted? Lots of wood surfaces?

None of this stuff is going to sound proof your room - trust me, it takes an eye watering amount of money to do that! But it's all incremental: moving the cage, plugging any spots that sound could be leaking through, and tackling the way sounds reverberate in the room are cheap things you can try and the sum of them might make enough of a difference to make life easier for your housemate and calm relations a bit.

Hope that helps a bit and I haven't rambled too much...

Last edited:
OP
Mechanical8dragon

Mechanical8dragon

Feb 25, 2015
California
Parrots
Jardine's Parrot
Oooh the lectrofan thing sounds interesting, and from the reviews on amazon it works pretty well. I've asked the roommate about it to see what he thinks, still waitin on a reply.

@Jayyj
Thank you for the info, I learned a bit more than I knew before :D.

Yeah Jardy is covered, and sadly, roommate's room is down a short hallway that is extremely echo-y, and the doors are hallow. Thin walls as well, this apartment was built cheaply and pathetically.

I was thinkin' about the rug idea as well but unsure how best to hang it up. I guess nails?

OP
Mechanical8dragon

Mechanical8dragon

Feb 25, 2015
California
Parrots
Jardine's Parrot
yeah thats true, unfortunetly for nights that I work, she has to be back in her cage at 8pm on wed/thurs, and on fri/sat/sun she has to be back in her cage at 6pm and tucked in as I need to start getting ready for work and out of the house in 30min from those time frames.

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
Yeah Jardy is covered, and sadly, roommate's room is down a short hallway that is extremely echo-y, and the doors are hallow. Thin walls as well, this apartment was built cheaply and pathetically.

I was thinkin' about the rug idea as well but unsure how best to hang it up. I guess nails?

Your local hardware store should sell hooks shaped like a question mark with a screw thread on the straight part for hanging things from the ceiling - if it's a suitably heavy rug user a few of them to spread the weight.

Maybe chuck another rug down in the hallway as well!

Adam99

Mar 27, 2019
I often see acoustic foam referred to as soundproof foam and I think that it's a common misconception that they will offer full soundproofing qualities. I'm no expert, but from what I understand the foam is designed to absorb portions of soundwave energy to stop them from bouncing around and creating an echo. This, in turn, helps to improve the overall quality of sound in a room. Would it go some way to soundproofing your room? Probably, but likely not to the level you are hoping for. From looking online to properly soundproof an area is very expensive and requires you to create an air gap between walls. Hope that helps :)

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
I often see acoustic foam referred to as soundproof foam and I think that it's a common misconception that they will offer full soundproofing qualities. I'm no expert, but from what I understand the foam is designed to absorb portions of soundwave energy to stop them from bouncing around and creating an echo. This, in turn, helps to improve the overall quality of sound in a room. Would it go some way to soundproofing your room? Probably, but likely not to the level you are hoping for. From looking online to properly soundproof an area is very expensive and requires you to create an air gap between walls. Hope that helps :)

Hi there! You look new - hope you'll share with us your fid(s) stories soon :)

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
Soundproof blankets, or refer to as Absorption Sheets work better when placed correctly behind cage and door ways. Using foam also refer to as Acoustic Panels is designed to absorb portions of soundwave energy to stop them from bouncing around and creating an echo but doesn't sound proof the room.

Most Reactions