noob need a little advice

jared185

May 8, 2014
Ok first off hello everyone lol im new here and also new to parrots. I have a question and need a little help.I currently have a budgie parent raised and he is getting used to me and my family lol. I love the little guy to death but hes terrified I feel sorry for him really I try to spend time reading by his cage out loud holding my hand still in bottom of cage but if I come within 5 ft of his home he starts heavy breathing he wont fly off the perch hell just sit still breathing hard and heavy. Ive had him a few weeks and put alot of time and effort trying to tame. Im not giving up on him but a more experienced friend offered to help the little guy out as he has a flock of budgies. My question is I found a breeder who has hand fed lovebirds for 50 dollars each shes not a breeder just ended up with a surprise gift of eggs well they hatched and are just now weaned. Are they like budgies I heard they were more affectionate is this true or should I give the parakeet a chance. The pet store I bought him off of (wont metion any names but id like to file animal cruelty against them because any times the little guys even chirped they would throw ink pens and other items at them. Another reason I bought this budgie in particular was to get him out of there.

DannyA93

Jan 22, 2012
Las Cruces, NM
Parrots
Pineapple Turquoise Greencheek Conure-Ivy❤️, Male Cockatiel-Lusa (aka Bub =D)
I would hold off on the lovebird. I know it's tempting lol but they are harder to handle than a budgie is. They're nice and cuddly till they go through puberty and they get nippy and testy but if you don't know how to handle them they could turn into a crazy angry biter the rest of his life.

Anyways in terms of your current budgie:) I would keep doing what you're doing, some birds take longer to tame and especially if all he's had was bad experiences with people he's gonna take a bit longer to trust you. When you do the hand in his cage thing have you tried holding a treat as well?? That could help and I would keep doing exactly what you're doing sounds like you're doing just fine:)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
My little Lovebird have gone through his puberty already and he's a sweet baby!!!

One thing though, they do not get along with other birds, only their own kind!!!! It just all depends on how they were trained.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Here's a couple of links to read.

Good Bird Inc Parrot Training Talk: How to Make Friends with a Parrot
Working with Fearful Parrots: A Study in Videos | Learning Parrots

As far as taming goes, you might try holding up a piece of millet against the cage bars and allow him to eat through the cage bars for at least 1-2 weeks. It may take time to get him ok with eating millet through the cage bars as you don't want to provide millet when he is frightened. Instead, try to move slowly and not scare him. It may also help to not look directly at him.

After he comes to enjoy eating millet through the cage bars, you can then try holding millet at the cage door and allowing him to come to you.

OP
J

jared185

May 8, 2014
Lol thanks for all the information it was really helpful im gonna keep my budgie but if they were mean to him wont that always be stuck in his mind and make him skittish of people? All I want is a companion and I heard lovebirds were good ones and budgies I love my budgie already now hes starting to chirp but will he sit by me while im doing things such as watch tv and whatnot.

OP
J

jared185

May 8, 2014
also as far as training goes i have done the millet spray through the bars and he never takes a bite lol i also hold it in my hand at the bottom of the cage and he acts enticed but never trusts me enough to get a bite. he is getting more comfortable with his surroundings and is starting to chirp a bit but acts like a statue if im in or around his cage. hes also eating good as seed shells are everywhere when i return home. and starting to play with his toys i have bought him a bit...

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Have you tried training him before he eats?

prsgirl77

Jul 5, 2013
Parrots
Pickles YCA
Kiwi OWA
Basil YCA
Pudgie & lemon cockatiels
Abbie & Finch zebra finches
8 budgies
Luna & Lucy RES
You re doing a splendid job this far. Give your handsome fellow some time to get used to his new home and your company. I m certain he will be a lovely companion.

Most Reactions