Normal noises?!

lyss802

Apr 18, 2018
Vermont
Parrots
Flash, Green cheek conure
I'm a new Gcc mama and I have heard that they have so many different noise they make that are normal but he does this one that really scares me and I'm not sure if it's normal? We got his "I'm scared or confused" yell, his "this is my terff" scream (thankfully only once, boyfriends hand in the cage.. wasent about it), his happy and content chirps, his higher pitched give me attention/ are you ok in the other room/where'd you go chirps, his tired quacks like an actual duck hahaha my favorite. but the last few days he's been doing this thing only at night when it's bed time where all of a sudden he sounds like he's squealing it's the most terrifying thing he sounds like he is choking to death or hurt badly and I freak out and throw the light on and he's fine.. if anything me freaking out makes him feel a little like (what's wrong? I'm good) .... I don't know how to discribe the noise but it sounds like he is dying it sets of my mommy sensers and makes me so emotional and worried. We've come to the conclusion that it's his whine like a toddler who dosent want to do to bed and not sleep with mommy and daddy. Sence it is seriously only at night a bit after we turn the lights off. ..... does that sound normal or SHOULD I be worried?! We've only had him 2-3 weeks so we don't know everything about him yet.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
can you describe the noise? a 'CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP!" is their normal "DO NOT WANT" tone....can you kinda spell it out on the keyboard?

the where did you go? chirps are "contact calls" he loves you and is asking if your not dead from a jaguar.

Last edited:

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Do you think you could record it?

OP
L

lyss802

Apr 18, 2018
Vermont
Parrots
It not the chirps that concern me I understand him well most of the time we get his noises it's just this one scary squeal almost that sounds like he's choking or somthing at night that worries me. I'll try to get a recording if he does it again tonight!

OP
L

lyss802

Apr 18, 2018
Vermont
Parrots
[ame=https://youtu.be/T4yKOBk08YU"]http://https://youtu.be/T4yKOBk08YU[/ame] that's not my bird but I found the noise!!!! Just like that maybe a little louder and consistent but that's it!!!

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
Yoda makes all kinds of crazy noises. At night he makes very cute little sounds kinda like that "Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeep peeeeeeeeeeeeeeep peeeeeeeeeeeep". In the video it sounded similar but more scratchy then what Yoda does. If there are no other warning signs (good weight, good activity, good appetite, no odd discharge, poop looks normal), then it could just be another weird sound he is playing with. Also, if he finds that you come running whenever he makes that sound, it's good motivation for him to keep making that sound. ;)

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
That looks like mating behavior right? Butt up in air making the sexy noise... Does your bird do the same posture?. If it's not mating behavior it might be the left over baby begging noise from hand feeding. Is your bird eating solids food fine and having a steady weight? Are you petting him anywhere but head or neck? If so you're "turning him on". I know you are saying he's a boy but to me Flash seems like a girl is they're making that posture along with the noise. Is he DNA sexed?

This is hard to answer on a video of another bird...

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I agree... good comments above!
Probably a female, although some boys like to tease.
Here are some thoughts on lighting. Ever since the Rickeybird hit sexual maturity at about 3-4 years of age, I've had to manage his hormones! If kept on too steady a long day, and too much light, he stayed "in the mood" (aggressive, even louder than usual, pleasuring himself on my neck ) year round. If I keep him on a natural light schedule... up with dawn, down with dusk, year around... THEN he's only a little monster rooster from July to September). He has his own room, so I can do that easily.

OP
L

lyss802

Apr 18, 2018
Vermont
Parrots
The thing is we almost only hear the noise at night and as soon as we turn the lights on he/she stops making it so I'm not sure what posture he had when making he noise. but it's not the normal come back to me noise. He is in a hut at night... maybe stimulating themself with the walls or somthing?! I know spring hormones are a thing? only pet his head because I am aware of the sexual frustration... he isn't a year yet. Not clear on the gender we haven't had his DNA looked at, but I'm going to figure that out as of now he just seems male to me.. could be wrong though. To also add, yes he is eating steady. We got him at petco where he was on a seed diet now we feed him the Harrison's diet (started about a week ago) and some veggies and fruits.

Last edited:

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
He (or likely she) is probably pleasuring his or herself on something in the cage at bedtime because it's a safe area for them. My Ollie sometimes "does it" with a toy in his night cage at night. When I put him in, if he is in the mood (which is once in a blue moon) he'll start rubbing his beak on it saying "this is mine mom!" then starts to make sexy time with it. Boys and girls behavior is different so I wouldn't expect yours to do that but that noise, to me, is one of a hormonal female parrot. Huts are not that great because it does encourage breeding behavior in some parrots and I think that's exactly what's happening here (in my extremely humble opinion).

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Attention seeking behavior!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's fine means your bird likes you and wants attention. Sexy or just play

Most Reactions

Latest posts