not eating the greens or taking a bath

cateyes221981

Nov 13, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
my green cheecks dont eat the leafy greens i put for them? Also they did not take a bath in the bowl i gave them?

Anyone know why? they eat the seeds though. They dont eat as much as my other birds like cockatiels and red rumps

ConureAZ

Dec 27, 2013
Parrots
Oliver (Sun Conure)
Some birds just need time to figure out the greens are good:) if they like seeds, you can sprinkle seed on top of the greens. That might entice them to try it.

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Male senegal - Stephen. Previously Barry - Male Barraband
Nelson - Male Eclectus
Try chopping up small portions finely and mixing through a little seed?

ConuresAreAwesome

Jan 15, 2014
Most of my birds knew when they were dirty, so they took baths in extra bowls or in the sink. But one didn't really know it was dirty (unfortunately, her mother died at a young age,) and she got very dirty. She was also very hectic for a budgie, so I didn't want to scare her.

She went on a play date and took a bath when the other bird did. :D
Maybe that can help! Or maybe your birds don't need baths yet.

As for greens, my sun conure really does not like them either. But just keep trying to mix them with veggies every day, and they're bound to get used to them.

EDIT: Oh. I meant "other veggies" in my last sentence. My conure started nibbling at greens when I mixed them with carrots. :)

Last edited:

MamaFuzz

Oct 7, 2013
Pennsylvania
Parrots
GCC - Chico
Senegal - Indy
Try eating the greens you want your conure to eat when you put them out for him. When he shows interest let him try it. This trick works wonders with kids too. Also try different greens. Taste & look could be an issue. I tried red kale instead of green once & it took banana & applesauce before my conure would touch the bowl.
For the bath try playing in the bowl yourself. It could also be he just doesn't like those kinds of baths. Misters & running water are other options to try.

OP
C

cateyes221981

Nov 13, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
i gave them cooked brown rice they put it in their beak then spit it out lol

if i start cleaning the cage and messing with their stuff the male will walk up to me and just bite me lol

the male spends a lot of his time on the ground dancing

Last edited:
OP
C

cateyes221981

Nov 13, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
i dont think they were tame but they are clearly not scared of me

they were fed fruit pellets and cockatiel seeds with added calcium, i just did not think that was enouh i feed fruit pellets, seeds and trying to add extra real food

MamaFuzz

Oct 7, 2013
Pennsylvania
Parrots
GCC - Chico
Senegal - Indy
I'd try adding a bit of fruit w/ some of the mix they eat and put that in the bowl you have tried putting the greens in. Unsweetened applesauce would work good. Then try adding in a little finely chopped greens after they get used to it for a couple days. Only do a little bit and only leave it out for a short amount of time. Taking their normal food out about an hour before would also encourage them to at least try it since it's what they normally eat plus a little extra. If it works you can try other foods that way too.

MamaFuzz

Oct 7, 2013
Pennsylvania
Parrots
GCC - Chico
Senegal - Indy
They are trying it. Plus half of what they try to eat ends up dropped or tossed. Mine isn't a fan of rice either. Loves oatmeal though.

Most Reactions