green cheek prefer to have cages up high?

cateyes221981

Nov 13, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
on a shelf? even though they are in a room with nothing disturbing them?

Also is there any species of bird you can safely have out at the sametime as green cheecks? LIke have their cages open to fly around?

ErichT

Jan 5, 2014
Media
Spring Hill,Florida
Parrots
Mango - Sun Conure
Kiwi- Green Cheek Conure
My green cheek and Sun Conure share a cage. It is a fairly large cage so they both have their own "safe place". Kiwi will chase Mango around the cage some times but it is usually to cuddle. Funny thin about birds is they all have there own personality and habits. Mango likes to be up high and loves to lay in her hut . Kiwi is never in her hut and will spend hours playing with foot toys on the floor of the cage.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
I think most birds prefer their cages higher than say floor, knee or waist level. It makes them feel more secure and less stressed. I think the higher it is without being a hindrance to cage maintenance, the better. Some people would argue against height dominance, but I personally don't believe it is true.

Other birds that are safe to mingle with GCCs are other birds of the same size like lovebirds or other GCCs. A lot of members here successfully mix their GCCs with other bigger birds with no issues but it comes down to the individual bird's temperament.

Last edited:

Megapixel

Banned
Banned
Nov 17, 2013
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Senegal, Senegal, Black Capped Conure, Green-cheek Conure, Blue Fronted Amazon
Broadly speaking:
The most likely species to get along with a green cheek conure would most likely be any of the other pyrrhura conures - maroon-bellied, pearly, black-capped, etc. I have a black-capped and a gc that have been living in a cage together for 12 years.
I would avoid any of the poicephalus species, such as senegals and red-bellied and IMO lovebirds are a bit too eager to pick a fight.

Each bird has it's own personality, so there are no absolutes. For every recommendation I made for or against any species, someone has a story that says otherwise. Just do your research and hope for the best.

Last edited:

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
As a general rule, birds prefer cages to be at your eye level. Regardless of surroundings, it is ideal to place it at that approximate level - or higher, but not lower. Ideally, placing their cage in a corner and away from doors,drafts, windows and heating elements is ideal. Reason for the corner is it provides them a view of the ENTIRE room and does make them feel more safe/secure.

What I would advise against, however, is putting the cage up too high. That can lead to 'territorial' issues especially with males.

Finally, a cage closest to the floor exposes the bird to much harsher elements. The temperature fluctuates the most near the floor and also has the least clear air supply compared to the eye level.

legal_eagle

Banned
Banned
Feb 28, 2013
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure Pee-Wee
My GCC's cage is at about waist level. She is quite healthy and happy.

Most Reactions

Latest posts