Not Getting along :( :(

Mrspy

Jul 13, 2010
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure: Kiwi

Pacific Green Rumped Parrotlet: Peeps
Hey everyone, I got done with the quarentine today. :D :D

I was so excited to see how the birds did so I got Peeps and Kiwi and put them on a bed next to eachother. Kiwi at first looked like he wanted to get along and so he start walking towards Peeps. Peeps on the other hand was afraid of Kiwi and started defending himself by opening his wings and arching his back while opening his beak. Then Peeps tried to bite Kiwi. I could understand that I was going in a little to fast so I just put them both on my shoulder to see what they would do. Kiwi started walking towards Peeps and Peeps ran accross my shoulder to get away from him. Then Peeps "ran out of shoulder" and couldn't do anything. Kiwi walked up to him and at first I thought he wanted to get along, but then he fought with Peeps and made him fly off of my shoulder. I told him "no" and put my finger behind his Cheeks and shook him.

Now whenever I have them both on my shoulder Kiwi try's to play "King" and get Peeps to get off, which isn't that hard. But I want them to get along!

What should I do to get them to get along. Anyone else out there have this same problem? What did you do to fix it? I'd really like some help here. Thanks.

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
Hey Mrspy. Thats great your finished with quarantine, how exciting! I suggest putting their cages beside one another. This way they can get to know each other a bit better without the chance of an attack :) Good luck!

Another thing to think of is how a human would react having a stranger thrown into their home alongside them. Patience is definitely key here. Of course you WANT them to get along but rushing them to be friends will only make it take longer. Also they may NEVER get along. I really hope they do though. :)

Last edited:

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
Not every bird pair gets along. Mine don't very well. Sure they might do small things, but they will physically fight, and I have to separate them. You can't just force them to like each other. Put their cages next to each other and give them a few weeks to get accustumed to each other. Over time, try letting them out together. Keep them on top of their cages.

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
I told him "no" and put my finger behind his Cheeks and shook him.

What does this mean?

You've been looking forward to this for a long time now and therefore you have a build up of pictures in your mind of how they get along etc. It is like when somebody tells you about this INCREDIBLE film and when you go and watch it then you find it disappointing. Our expectations are always to high and we cause our own disappointment.

I agree with everybody else that you must step back and give it time. The best would be that you start telling yourself that they DO NOT get along and will NEVER be friends. If you have that mindset then everything that they do, no matter how small, will be an achievement and will make you happy. ;)

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
That's a shame.... we all know how much you've been looking forward to this. Mine don't get on either. They have both gotten on with other parrots that have visited but they will go for each other if allowed to get too close. Unfortuantely that's just how it is

Most Reactions

Latest posts