Not on my watch, you won't! A horribly lengthy post.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Your vet's advice sounds a little suspect to me, as well. None of it makes much sense to me at all. Well, save for waiting on the blood test until your boy has replenished some of his blood loss. (Assuming that he hasn't already.) So I would most definitely go with a second opinion as well.

And no matter how experienced and well-qualified an avian vet might seem on paper, they can still give horrendous advice. I visited one who is considered one of the three top avian vets in the western hemisphere! He's on some kind of "Wizards Council" high muck-a-muck or some such that is supposed to be the final word on all things avian.

Know what he told me?

He claimed that the fruit/veggie/legume/grain diet I prep for my eclectus birds would slowly kill them, because parrots can't live on a mostly fresh fruits and veggie diet. I needed to switch my ekkies to an all pellet diet. Specifically Harrison's High Potency! Now, anyone who knows ekkies knows how bloody awful that piece of advice was! Don't allow yourself to be a hostage to the reputation of your avian vet.

Btw, I know that both Allee and riddick07 have extensive experience with pluckers and, I believe, self-mutilators. It might be worth it to check in with them for some good advice on this as well.

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
I just wanted to say that I've been following your thread and I'm thinking of you. I have no experience with this so can't really offer any advice, but I think all the advice given here is great. I do, however, think a second opinion is a good idea, as the "remedy" that your vet has given makes no sense, as others have said. Thoughts and prayers your way...

drlisaort

Nov 3, 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Parrots
Oliver, Male (SI) Eclectus
Wow, what a tough, heart-breaking situation you are in! The only experience I had was with my Cockatiel that lived 23 years. He was a plucker and it started with mites...but once cleared he still had the habit in place. I work with patients in my practice who develop habits such as pulling hair after an experience with lice and it takes a lot of work to break that habit once it's in place. I admire you and your perseverance...

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
Your vet's advice sounds a little suspect to me, as well. None of it makes much sense to me at all. Well, save for waiting on the blood test until your boy has replenished some of his blood loss. (Assuming that he hasn't already.) So I would most definitely go with a second opinion as well.
Don't allow yourself to be a hostage to the reputation of your avian vet.

Btw, I know that both Allee and riddick07 have extensive experience with pluckers and, I believe, self-mutilators. It might be worth it to check in with them for some good advice on this as well.

I just wanted to say that I've been following your thread and I'm thinking of you. I have no experience with this so can't really offer any advice, but I think all the advice given here is great. I do, however, think a second opinion is a good idea, as the "remedy" that your vet has given makes no sense, as others have said. Thoughts and prayers your way...

I agree wholeheartedly with the advice already given, get a second opinion. Wishing you the best of luck with your little guy!

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
I'd try a different avian vet, because this does not sound correct. Anyone else agree? How could a safflower only diet be helpful in any way??? How could leaving him on his own to fret and stew be helpful in any way? I don't think so personally. Everyone knows dry skin can cause the worst irritation, even in people. In the wild, birds get wet all the time due to rain/humidity and they need that.

Yeah that does sound a bit off with this vet....80- 85 temp, especially in the winter months can make a bird itchy and dehydrated...furnaces give off very dry heat....in turn you have to add humidity to the air. To leave a bird to fret and be lonely on it's own...I think personally, attention and just quite time together helps take the birds mind off things, don't you think. Safflower only diet?? Seriously? I see what the vet is trying to accomplish, getting the skin oily and moisturized by high oil intake....gezz...add some flax seed oil to their water 2-3 times a week and leave the rest of their diet alone. It's what I do and my birds have beautiful plumage with no itching or dry skin.

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.

And no matter how experienced and well-qualified an avian vet might seem on paper, they can still give horrendous advice. I visited one who is considered one of the three top avian vets in the western hemisphere! He's on some kind of "Wizards Council" high muck-a-muck or some such that is supposed to be the final word on all things avian.

Know what he told me?

He claimed that the fruit/veggie/legume/grain diet I prep for my eclectus birds would slowly kill them, because parrots can't live on a mostly fresh fruits and veggie diet. I needed to switch my ekkies to an all pellet diet. Specifically Harrison's High Potency! Now, anyone who knows ekkies knows how bloody awful that piece of advice was! Don't allow yourself to be a hostage to the reputation of your avian vet.

An all Pellet diet will kill your birds in time.....that vet hasn't a clue in heck...Like our first Avian vet...comes in to greet my birds with what looked like a space masked, frightened the crap out of them...and why? Because the vet was very allergic to birds...How Ironic, an Avian vet!!

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
When you give him a bath... Try mixing pure Aloe Vera juice in with the water. Even spray him down twice a day or so.

My Broto when through a period when he was mutilating his wing. It had to do with the dryness of the skin and then he started chewing on feathers.

I doubt that is the case here... but an aloe soak- 1/4 a cup of the juice to about a liter of water could help. It sooths just about anything and if he ingests it well its good for him too!

it's very good for him/her...aloe vera is like the wonder drug. Lilly of the valley, is good.

OP
G

Giggleagain

Jul 5, 2014
Media
Missouri
Parrots
All my rescues: Pepita, Rocky and Eva, my Quaker Parrots Clover and Sweet Pea, YNA Willie Buttons, and TAG Coca.
Here finally is the update, after all test results are in. Thank you for not being mad for my silence :) I had to concentrate on the birds and work!
Blood test: everything normal. Heart, lungs, air sacks, kidneys, liver, fecal exams. Normal, normal, normal.

Of course I continued with the veggie mash twice a day, misted him, provided entertainment, toys, cuddling (he's a great cuddler), preening all those new blood feathers he's sprouting, etc. etc. It's just all about Sweet Pea around my house. Once I asked my other QP Clover to aid with the preening because my fingernails are very short and refuse to grow.... she promptly helped with 5 feathers...then she decided to pluck one out. That's where that brilliant idea ended !

The vet thinks there is some low bone density (osteoporosis-like) as well as a possible allergy against something. We have full-spectrum lighting and he is now on an anti-histamine. I have taken the two outer rings off the collar and lined the edge with fleece, because Sweet'Pea was injuring his wings on the sharp edge of the plastic collar. The vet of course thought it was a horrible idea because he hates fabric close to the bird's body, yadayadayada and he has never seen a bird injuring his wings on the ring yadayada. Well THIS ONE DOES!

Everything is going well with the collar modification but the second I take the collar off, the first thing is to bite his leg. The vet's next ideas: wait 4 weeks and then do a feather biopsy. Or hormone shots. Or birdy Prozac.

PS: X-Rays are normal too!!!

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
I'm new here and have no experience just wanted to say I hope you get it worked out. Positive thoughts from me!

Most Reactions